Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:16 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: gravel wheel advice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:02 pm 

Okay so planned wheel build is as follows 28/28 f/r i9 classic cx/disc hubs -> cx ray spokes -> light bicycle 45mm U-shaped clinchers, my questions are:

1) Does anything other than 3x make sense for lacing, I come from a mtb background and I tend to trash things pretty hard.

2) I'm planning to use Challenge open tubulars for tires (switching treads depenting on what I'm actually doing that day) with Challenge latex tubes. A friend of mine is skeptical and say's I'm risking blow outs particularly during hard cornering, is he crazy or am I setting myself up for failure?

3) Any changes you recommend, different hubs, rims, etc... I don't wan to go too high end because if I ever buy a king to enve wheelset it'll be for my mtb.

:beerchug:

Post subject: gravel wheel advice
Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:02 pm 

Post subject: Re: gravel wheel advice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:23 pm 

2x for 28 spokes.

Do not use Challenge open tubulars on those rims. I have LB rims and both the Strada Bianca and Paragi Roubaix blew off, with latex and butyl tubes. I don't know what their problem is, but there are dozens of new gravel options on the market. Look at Schwalbe or Clement.

If you're ordering from LB, you can have them put Pillar 1420 bladed spokes in with your order, cost a bit less than cx rays.

Those are some pretty pricey hubs for a not too high end build.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:51 pm 

I'm searching for tires myself. Similar build, although I went with White Industries hubs

for rims I chose these based on price and reviews

http://www.noxcomposites.com/a36d

but now I'm wondering if I should have gotten these

http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-44mm-cl ... ont-wheel/

No personal experience with either set of rims yet. Still waiting for my frame to be done. (got delayed)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:57 pm 

There's also the Venn rims which are in range of the LB pricing. They quoted me about $500 shipped for two of their filament wound 35mm rims.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:25 am 

I believe challenge open tubular tires mention in the FAQs that they're not recommended for carbon clinchers. My experience with vittoria's open clinchers is that they hate the newer wide rim trend, even with aluminum rims. They work great on the standard width rims, 17-15mm internal width kind of stuff. Supple tires are great for gravel riding, I love racing my semi-slick CX tubulars for gravel races as they float a lot better than harder casing tires and pinch flats aren't really a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 am 

@f45 I looked into Venn but the decals aren't removable so that's a no go for me. I want decent hubs and can get the i9s for not much more than the white industries (which were my choice until I found out about the i9s). Why do you say 2x for 28h and did you have the blow outs on the U-shaped rims, maybe they updated the rim bead shape? I am also planning on using tubless tape as rim tape to help better secure the tire beads and give me the option of tubless if I feel like it.

@duende I worked in a shop that sold Boyd and after the amount of delamed/deformed clinchers i warrantied I'm steering clear regardless of any improvements they made.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:33 pm 

you might look at Yishun gravel rims. They are wider, with offset nipple bed. I've been riding them all summer, and they are very nice - sealed up perfectly with tubeless tires. I think Yishun are more consistent than LB in build quality (I've used both).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:07 pm 

@bikerector sorry somehow missed your reply, the narrowest tires these wheels will ever see will be 30mm so maybe the 19mm internal width will be okay?

@spud, thanks! will look into that I'm admittedly not well versed in the China carbon market and I'm having a hard time find the reputable ones

*edit*
Thanks again for the Yishun recommendation Spud :up: , I'm going to go with them as I like the idea of the reinforced bead and the tlr shape sounds promising for keeping the tires on. Also an added bonus they are 17 internal which is within Challenge's recommended width. Now just to decide what depth, either 38 or apparently they have a new 44 that came out during eurobike!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:48 pm 

just note that max pressure is 65 lbs. I ride 35mm at 60 lbs and it is plenty, even for fast group rides.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:51 pm 

spud wrote:
just note that max pressure is 65 lbs. I ride 35mm at 60 lbs and it is plenty, even for fast group rides.

What was the lead time on your rims, I'm hoping for 2-3 weeks so I can get the wheels build before the frame arrives which is hopefully going to be mid-end of October.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:43 pm 

mine were special order - 3K outer layer (enhanced toughness for rock strikes?) and no holes in the tire bed. I think standard stock will probably be within that time frame, though shipping can take close to two weeks when factoring in customs check (though I gather there was a bottleneck this spring/summer out on west coast, which may be alleviated now.

Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:43 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:13 pm 
in the industry

Sorry f45 is a good thing 3x isc brake wheels. Torsioma, stiffness is increased a little bit which in turn help extend spoke life a bit. This is not a rim brake wheel disc brakes really load up the spokes.