HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 pm 

Long story short everything went pear shaped in the last couple of weeks - I had moved on some wheels and was waiting for a new wheel build using a Kappius rear hub and 31mm alloy rims from a local builder, in the meantime I was rolling on some older Fulcrum Racing Zeros and racing a set of Mavic Ultimates. Two weeks ago I was hit by a car putting the Fulcrum's out of commission and resorted to riding the Ultimates around waiting for the new handbuilts to be ready. Cue some supply chain issues and all of a sudden I have a long ride in the hills (3Peaks for those in Australia) and one set if tubular wheels to use. Discussing with the local mechanic about my options he graciously offered to loan me a set of wheels while we waited for parts. I took him up on the offer as it seemed the simplest way to go.

He provided me with a set of C4's laced to Kinlin 22's, not 100% sure on those details but they seem like a decent set of wheels. I get them home, set them up and find out that the rear freehub binds when under any clamping force. I have been playing with it for a while now and about to give up. The bearings appear to be seated properly in the hub shell so I have ruled that out and through a process of elimination believe that the issue is within the freehub itself. It has two bearings and a spacer, when clamped it appears to put so much pressure on the bearings it seizes up. At this point in time I have removed the spacer from between the two bearings and it's better but still creates a lot of drag. I have googled for a possible solution or even an exploded diagram of the rear hub to see if a part is possibly missing but just come up with pictures of car hubs and a lot of information regarding hub issues. It's not looking good!

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try? Or possibly a link to an exploded diagram?

Wishing I had not been sensible and bought some Fulcrum Racing Zero Nites when I had the chance today.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:42 pm 

A quick search for C4 hubs (in this forum or the net ) will give you some very entertaining litterature to read ;) ...

Louis :)

Posted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:42 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm 

Louis - read through a bunch of not very nice info, still nothing relating to this specific issue :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:07 pm 

You need the spacer between the bearings. That's what keeps the QR clamping pressure from preloading the bearings.

The spacer needs to be solidly clampbed between the bearing inner races. If the spacer can move the bearings are not fully seated (or the spacer is too short).

You can simulate the clamping force on the bearings by pushing in in the inner races. So you can test if it's that or something else.

If the hub bearings are ok (and their spacer is firmly captured) then look for a small spacer/washer between the hub and freehub. There needs to be some space between the hub and freehub bearing so their shields don't rub on each other.

I'm assuming from your description this is the typical design where the freehub and hub both ride on the axle, and the bearing preload is determined by the fit of the parts instead of an adjuster.