The best cleaning solvent?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Just wondering what you all think is the better solvent for cleaning greasy drivetrains, diesel fuel or mineral spirits? I know some pro mechanics use diesel and maybe that's all the info I need but I was just curious about other opinions.

I am specifically thinking of being able to disolve the waxy grease that comes on new shimano da chains. Eco degreaser didn't cut it - literally.

Thanks.
Geoff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

Both should do an excellent job. Leave the chain in a small bucket with the stuff for 10 minutes and move it around once a while. Repeat process one more time. Then, rinse off under hot water and dry with an old towel.

I've found that whatever lube you use tends to last better if you start on a clean chain. Afterward, it's pretty much self cleaning with the right lube for your riding conditions.

LabRatMatt

by LabRatMatt

BdaGhisallo wrote:Just wondering what you all think is the better solvent for cleaning greasy drivetrains, diesel fuel or mineral spirits? I know some pro mechanics use diesel and maybe that's all the info I need but I was just curious about other opinions.

I am specifically thinking of being able to disolve the waxy grease that comes on new shimano da chains. Eco degreaser didn't cut it - literally.

Thanks.
Geoff

Put your chain in a small container with automotive engine degreaser (cover the top of the coiled up chain) and put on top of your clothes washer. Do a load or two of laundry and then clean up chain. The vibrations from the washing machine seem to knock a fair amount of the dirt from the chain.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I am specifically thinking of being able to disolve the waxy grease that comes on new shimano da chains.

To remove the parafine wax on new chains use hydrogen treated nafta (AKA washing petrol).
Let it soak for a while and if there still is some wax left scrub the chain with a soft metal brush and let it soak for another ten minutes.
The chain should then be too dry and stiff so it needs to be left soaking overnight in a container with fine machine oil to properly grease it for use again.

Let it drip for a while and wipe of any excess oil. Put it back on the drivetrain and you're ready to go.

Similar treatment works for new cogs, cassettes, etc. only they don't require to soak in fine oil after the wax has been removed.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

DANIELSON

by DANIELSON

One good tip is to get a old drinking bottle. Put some cleaning solution in it. I use brake cleaner (automotive type) Put chain in and do your best impression of Tom Cruise from cocktail for about two minutes. Take chain out and wipe. The brake cleaner evaporates reallly quick. Then wipe over again. Result is a really clean chain.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Easiest way Ive found to clean it: Keep an old water bottle filled with whatever solvent you like, drop your chain in, close the cap shake and youre done.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Ok....Now we have two Tom Cruise impressions......

Anyone with a good trick to clean RD pulleys without actually dismantling the entire thing?

BTW, plain petrol is great for removing crud from chains as it is rather greasy by itself, i.e. it's kind of lubricating.
Great to revive the shine on tarnished paintwork too.....if only it didn't smell as if you're running a gas station.... :roll:

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

DANIELSON wrote:One good tip is to get a old drinking bottle. Put some cleaning solution in it. I use brake cleaner (automotive type) Put chain in and do your best impression of Tom Cruise from cocktail for about two minutes. Take chain out and wipe. The brake cleaner evaporates reallly quick. Then wipe over again. Result is a really clean chain.

ooops, looks like i was about 60seconds slower at typing. LOL.

singletracksorcerer

by singletracksorcerer

The diesel fuel is the cleaner of choice!(It may kill the grass or other small plants except kudzu). The factory lube on the Shimano chains is good stuff,It last longer than the perfered lube between chain changes.
Tri-flow or Pro link.
JFR

OCLV110

by OCLV110

fdegrove wrote:Anyone with a good trick to clean RD pulleys without actually dismantling the entire thing?

I've to dismantle the entire thing to clean it?!!
oh no.. all the while, i've been using a lil cloth to wipe the pulley thingy that turns, and a whole gulk of gooey black stuff comes off as it spins..
and i thought it was clean
oops..so whats the right way to clean it? :)

Boonen

by Boonen

LabRatMatt wrote:Put your chain in a small container with automotive engine degreaser (cover the top of the coiled up chain) and put on top of your clothes washer...

That sounds like the time I put a cogset and chainrings in the dishwasher. They got pretty clean but there were some black stains on some glasses I got some questions about :wink:
Can't remember if I ever put a chain in there.
I use diesel for most degreasing jobs as it is cheap and works very good.
If the chain at one time gets so dirty I don't feel I can clean it properly without getting it off I usually descide to replace it, but that doesn't help you much as you want to degrease a new chain...

uphillisgood

by uphillisgood

BdaGhisallo wrote:I am specifically thinking of being able to disolve the waxy grease that comes on new shimano da chains.
Thanks.
Geoff

That's the best chain lube there is!

To just get it off the surface of the chain (all that's required in order to keep dirt/dust from sticking to the chain), I just spray a clean towel with WD40 and wipe the chain a few times, then wipe it with the dry part of the towel.

I can get close to 1000 miles of riding on a new DA chain without ever lubing it.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The shimano grease on the new chain may be a great lubricant but I find that it attracts dirt and grime very quickly and soon the chain looks pretty bad. I prefer to start with a clean chain and use finish line century/cross country lube. It's a little heavier than all the dry lubes out there, but makes for a nice quiet and smooth running chain. I don't mind cleaning the chain more often to compensate.

Thanks for all the feedback.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Hmmmm.......
Then why does Shimano's accompanying leaflet suggests you remove it (mainly an anti-oxidant a la propopolis) and lube the new chain properly prior to installation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

Hmmmm.......
Then why does Shimano's accompanying leaflet suggests you remove it (mainly an anti-oxidant a la propopolis) and lube the new chain properly prior to installation?

Wow....guess I should read the literature that comes with my chains. A brand spanking new Shimano chain runs so smooth with the parafin wax lube. I shared the same opinion with uphillisgood. I figured it didn't get any better than that. Why do you think that they recommend that we remove it before useage? Is it because it attracts grit which will wear the chain down faster?