I need reliable and light skewers.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

col hicks

by col hicks

i have been using spin stix for about three years even on my mountain bike never had a problem totaly bomb proof and light what more could you ask for :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr_Potatohead

by Mr_Potatohead

onyourleft wrote:
OCLV110 wrote:Controltech offers a pair of titanium bolt on skewers for 47gms a pair at an economical price.
Im considering these now, but someone in another forum mentioned that titanium skewers flex when you sprint. At 70kg, does this happen too? :)

If you can tell it's a skewer that's flexing while you're sprinting, then you should be designing the stuff, not riding it. :roll:

if your skewers are flexing when you sprint that means they are not tight enough. Their purpose is to preload the dropout against the axle cones. As long as that preload is sufficient your stiffness is governed by the fork/stays and axle not your skewer.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Their purpose is to preload the dropout against the axle cones. As long as that preload is sufficient your stiffness is governed by the fork/stays and axle not your skewer.

:exactly:
flexing skewers during sprinting ? come on :lol:

Samu Ilonen

by Samu Ilonen

I have two sets of Tune. No broblems @ 1kW...

I Ullrich uses them on mountain-TT they should be solid for us..hobbyists?

New ones are much stiffer but uglyer than older ones. I have red and gold ones. Ulle has silver.

jersievers

by jersievers

I'll flex that skewer, bring it on. :twinkle:

The only way you could do that is if you were able to cause so much torque that you could overcome the force of the clamp. If the clamp on a set of light ti skewers were sub par and unable to cause an adequate amount of clamping force, then maybe it could yank your wheel loose. But, that would be a discussion for the quality of a clamping mechanism not the material the skewer is made of. Ti, is just fine.

onyourleft

by onyourleft

jersievers wrote:I'll flex that skewer, bring it on. :twinkle:

But watch out you don't skew that flexor, eh? LOL!

I hear one more person b!tch about something on their bike "flexing", I think I'll beat 'em over the head with a very flexible rubber hose. :x I swear to Gawd, some doods got 'flex on the brain'. :roll: :? :P

(Maybe the heat got to me today? :wink: )