HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 8:01 pm
Posts: 64
Location: Wichita, KS USA
I read somewhere on the internet that Richard Sachs and Serotta uses like a 8 cm bottom bracket drop that gives a lower center of gravity and gives that handling quality.

Does anyone have an idea of the weight of Aermet frame? Or a link to a manufacturer? TIA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:24 am 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:51 am
Posts: 18
Location: Under Arm Pit of USA - New Joisey/NYC
Miranda wrote:
Hello,

With all the talk about lightweight premium steel road frames what about Waterford's flagship R33? Does anyone have one? Do they have a good balance regarding racing performance and putting in those long training miles? Durability?

Regarding classic steel how about one made by Chris Kvale in Minneapolis?


I havent heard anything bad about Waterford but only praises. That goes same with Chris's work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:03 pm
Posts: 113
Nobody has built with aermet for years from what I gather. This stuff is super strong and hard. It can not be drawn for that reason. You can only make seamed straight gauge tubing. A .5 straight gauge tube is slightly heavier than a .7/.4/.7 butted tube. In other words, this material will not yield the lightest road frame possible. Weights are comparable to the lightest straight gauge ti frames: 1350 to 1450g for an aermet frame is reasonable.
It is still a very interesting frame material. It could make very nice trials frames for instance. Would any weight weenies be interested in an aermet 310 frame? If there is a demand for this stuff, I could get a custom order from Cartech.
The aermet frames from the past were the aermet 100 alloy. Aermet 310 is 15% stronger and harder!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:55 am
Posts: 942
Location: "On the other side of the pine lands", NY
spin110 wrote:
Nobody has built with aermet for years from what I gather. This stuff is super strong and hard. It can not be drawn for that reason. You can only make seamed straight gauge tubing. A .5 straight gauge tube is slightly heavier than a .7/.4/.7 butted tube. In other words, this material will not yield the lightest road frame possible. Weights are comparable to the lightest straight gauge ti frames: 1350 to 1450g for an aermet frame is reasonable.
It is still a very interesting frame material. It could make very nice trials frames for instance. Would any weight weenies be interested in an aermet 310 frame? If there is a demand for this stuff, I could get a custom order from Cartech.
The aermet frames from the past were the aermet 100 alloy. Aermet 310 is 15% stronger and harder!


All well and good, but with this tubing, don't you give up some of the great steel ride? Seems like if it's that stiff, you might as well go Al.

A little compliance in a frame is not a bad thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:03 pm
Posts: 113
onyourleft wrote:
spin110 wrote:
Nobody has built with aermet for years from what I gather. This stuff is super strong and hard. It can not be drawn for that reason. You can only make seamed straight gauge tubing. A .5 straight gauge tube is slightly heavier than a .7/.4/.7 butted tube. In other words, this material will not yield the lightest road frame possible. Weights are comparable to the lightest straight gauge ti frames: 1350 to 1450g for an aermet frame is reasonable.
It is still a very interesting frame material. It could make very nice trials frames for instance. Would any weight weenies be interested in an aermet 310 frame? If there is a demand for this stuff, I could get a custom order from Cartech.
The aermet frames from the past were the aermet 100 alloy. Aermet 310 is 15% stronger and harder!


All well and good, but with this tubing, don't you give up some of the great steel ride? Seems like if it's that stiff, you might as well go Al.

A little compliance in a frame is not a bad thing.


All steel has about the same stiffness, from mild steel to this stuff. Aermet has a young's modulus of about 28ksi just like every other steel I know of. You certainly would not be giving up the great steel ride
Al??? This stuff is 6 times stronger than most Al used in bike frames.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:50 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Wuustwezel, Belgium
De Rosa has also a very nice steel bike! Beautifull!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:47 am
Posts: 896
Location: somewere floating between here and the other side
NEO PRIAMTO,
verry stylische indeed !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:55 am
Posts: 942
Location: "On the other side of the pine lands", NY
spin110 wrote:

All steel has about the same stiffness, from mild steel to this stuff. Aermet has a young's modulus of about 28ksi just like every other steel I know of. You certainly would not be giving up the great steel ride
Al??? This stuff is 6 times stronger than most Al used in bike frames.


All else being equal, yes. But with the stuff you're talking about, it may be different because of the tube thickness?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:03 pm
Posts: 113
onyourleft wrote:
spin110 wrote:

All steel has about the same stiffness, from mild steel to this stuff. Aermet has a young's modulus of about 28ksi just like every other steel I know of. You certainly would not be giving up the great steel ride
Al??? This stuff is 6 times stronger than most Al used in bike frames.


All else being equal, yes. But with the stuff you're talking about, it may be different because of the tube thickness?


The strength to weight of aermet is till atleast twice as high as most aluminum. Atleast any aluminum I know of that is readily weldable.
A 0.5mm thick aermet tube is much beefier than a 1.5mm thick Al tube or even a 0.75mm think Ti tube.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:55 am
Posts: 942
Location: "On the other side of the pine lands", NY
spin110 wrote:
The strength to weight of aermet is till atleast twice as high as most aluminum. Atleast any aluminum I know of that is readily weldable.
A 0.5mm thick aermet tube is much beefier than a 1.5mm thick Al tube or even a 0.75mm think Ti tube.


I'll have to take your word for it, because I know very little about aermet. All's I DO know is: steel is good!

:)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Paulhino, Rippin, wrcompositi and 45 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Rauler custom steel frames from Italy

in Road

CippoForLife

0

1040

Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:10 pm

CippoForLife View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Stainless Steel or Traditional Steel?

in Road

HugoDrax

12

2035

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:20 pm

shlammed View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. New aero test: 12 aero frames vs 12 "unaero" light frames

[ Go to page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6 ]

in Road

fa63

88

11311

Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:28 am

djconnel View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Racing with steel ...

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Road

Kupepe

22

1391

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 pm

kdawg View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Help identifying this steel Bianchi

in Road

vinceflynow

3

471

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:34 am

GT56 View the latest post


It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB