Canyon Aeroad CF 2011

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

dj; they previously sold to Australia, then (around the time Cadel announced he was leaving Canyon) they cut their ties. I also mentioned the white Canyon, which (rear stays aside) does look similar. Not in a 'Canyon knocked off Litespeed' way, rather in a 'they're both areo bikes that have similar design features and paint schemes' way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

I guess it went like this: Some chaps with funny hairstyles sat in a room and decided the next big thing will be aero. So they called up Engineering and told them to make something with bigger tubes, but not too heavy since consumers can measure that. Unfortunately since the chaps with dodgy haircuts decided to spend the money on advertising there was no money left to see if the bike was actually aero.

Ras11 makes an excellent point - I believe steel bikes are hugely underrated, particularly since a steel bike allows the frame builder to work with the rider to get the rider in a really excellent position. Take a look at Rob English's bike, pictures below. Rob has an Engineering degree from Cambridge and also holds quite a few HPV and time trial records. When it comes to going fast, my money would be on a bike designed by Rob rather than the marketing concept from the creative types above.

English Cycles frame page: http://www.bikerevuk.com/bikepics/index.htm

djconnel

by djconnel

Deviating off-topic..... I agree steel bikes are under-rated. I couldn't believe when I first saw a Hooker Elite in the early '90's: I thought I'd cut myself on the frame, it was so sharp:

ImageImage

But I don't share the "all or nothing" view of aero, stiffness, weight. Canyon in striking a balance here. Not the most aero, not the lightest, not the stiffest, but very good in all three. That's called "global optimization": nothing wrong with that. We see the same in forks and wheels all the time. Here, the aero features are focused up front, where the wind is cleaner, with an emphasis on narrow versus deep, which tends to pay off in shallow yaw angles but not in cross-winds. But maybe in variable cross-winds it has superior handling than frames with deeper features, which makes it a better overall racing bike.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

DJ, was that hooker available for sale on eBay or something? The pics have that 'eBay photo' watermark.

Back on target re: Aeroad... Will we be seeing this frameset being used in Le Tour?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

djconnel

by djconnel

The Hooker photos I stole from a slowtwitch thread on retro TT bikes. Lots of good stuff there.

el condor

by el condor

I asked Canyon about the new frame, the answer was:"we haven't go any information about that but you can subscribe for our newsletter" :-), I guess it's still a very early stage for the aeroad as I haven't seen any active pro rider or team testing the frame.

SilleMicke

by SilleMicke

Hello, saw the 2011 Canyon Aeroad CF today and took some pictures, real nice if you ask me and it was looking fast.

Pictures here:
http://www.talkofbike.com/

Murphs

by Murphs

Cool, thanks for the pics.

Still don't know if I like it or not. They've made some sacrifices for the sake of aero, most notably at the front end.

Canyon really do love their super long gear cables.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

merged Sillemicke's post in here.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dear lord, that white one really does it for me.

Sillemicke, was there any mention of the price...?

SilleMicke

by SilleMicke

The prices won´t be out until fall sept/oct, that´s what the swedish representive told me.

rustychisel

by rustychisel

Looks like some nice ideas for adapting aero style to a road bike, as Cervelo have been doing for years, but the frame profile looks a lot more like Kestrel's design work than anyone else. I too would be not thrilled by grub screws on fork ends, and it seems more a marketing ploy than anything else.

Can't say I was thrilled by the cutout and wedge for seatpost retention, either, but it probably works okay. It's just not an area which needs clever-ass ideas and gimmickry. A seatpost clamp, sliding block or otherwise just needs to do its job well. Full stop.

I'd probably like to know a little more about the fork steerer and headset assembly, maybe they'll need a redesigned Easton Beartrap to get it to work properly... maybe it works fine anyway. does anyone know more about it?

But... "basalt fibers"??????? Basalt? Basalt? An igneous rock with high SG and prized as ballast in sailing vessels? I think not. Perhaps the BS Department got mixed between Boron, Basalt and bollocks.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

rustychisel wrote:But... "basalt fibers"??????? Basalt? Basalt? An igneous rock with high SG and prized as ballast in sailing vessels? I think not. Perhaps the BS Department got mixed between Boron, Basalt and bollocks.

Canyon already use basalt fibres in the seatpost for their current top end bikes. It's nothing new for Aeroad.
Canyon VCLS seatpost with basalt fibres: http://www.canyon.com/_en/technology/vcls_post.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basalt_fiber
Basalt fiber

Basalt fiber or fibre is a material made from extremely fine fibers of basalt, which is composed of the minerals plagioclase, pyroxene, and olivine. It is similar to carbon fiber and fiberglass, having better physicomechanical properties than fiberglass, but being significantly cheaper than carbon fiber. It is used as a fireproof textile in the aerospace and automotive industries and can also be used as a composite to produce products such as camera tripods.

Manufacture

The manufacture of basalt fiber requires the melting of the quarried basalt rock to about 1,400 °C (2,550 °F). The molten rock is then extruded through small nozzles to produce continuous filaments of basalt fiber. There are three main manufacturing techniques, which are centrifugal-blowing, centrifugal-multiroll and die-blowing. The fibers typically have a filament diameter of between 9 and 13 µm which is far enough above the respiratory limit of 5 µm to make basalt fiber a suitable replacement for asbestos. They also have a high elastic modulus, resulting in excellent specific tenacity - three times that of steel.[verification needed]

gandini

by gandini

an interesting frame (I like the finish :D )
Also interested in how much it will sell for--is there a premium for all this design and the basalt, of course?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

Wilson has also just started to use basalt fibres in their high end tennis racquets.
Wilson use on of the same arguments as Canyon, that basalt fibres dampens vibrations:
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/ar ... _feel.html
Basalt is a natural volcanic rock that can be used in manufacturing and made into ultrafine gold fibers that are resistant to vibrations. Basalt fibers are woven longitudinally with Wilson’s [K]arophite Black to create a composite Wilson says is the most advanced in the industry.

Like noise-cancelling headphones that filter out unwanted external noise, says Wilson, basalt added to the matrix filters the unwanted extreme frequencies in the racquet. According to the company, the new BLX technology delivers cleaner feedback and better sensation — “a smoother signal reaches the hand.”

http://www.p1tennis.com/media