Light reliable tubs needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drew

by drew

I have decided to buy a set of Zipp 202's for next season so now I need tubular tyres. BUT I will be using them on local hilly club races and select training rides so Tufo 100g etc are out of the question. Need good quality, reasonable $$, decent wear, availability is an issue (don't want to have to order overseas) and weight of course is an issue though not a primary one. Say <> 200g
Possible? I have not ridden tubs in many, many moons so am a little out of touch.

Thanks chaps & chapesses (any chapesses out there?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

I have used Conti's, Vittorias, Tufo's and others and the Tufo's are by far the best I have ridden. The S3 lite <215 is a great light tire that is not to thin. If that is to light for you try the S33 Pro. Its 260g but is a tough tubular. I use them for training, but they would work well for racing as well. I know you said you don't want to order over seas, but www.sdeals.com (out of the UK) by far has the best prices. $19 each for the S33 and $36 for the S3's is unbeatable. If you insist on not ordering over seas, www.worldclasscycles.com has the best prices in the US, and the are very nice (a guy and his wife run the buisness out of NY). Also a lot of people swear by Veloflex Criteriums, and you can get those cheap from critusa (critusa@aol.com - no web site just send him and email).

Joel

by Joel

use Conti Competition 250g but very good or Vittoria CX 270g

doozer

by doozer

the UK national squad ride the conti competition tubs.. They rate them quite highly. Saving 50 grams on a tyre is no good if you punture and then end up with a superheavy wheel from neutral service!!

Doozer :mrgreen:
Dance you cares away, worries for another day, dance your cares away, down at fragglerock.

JTC

by JTC

Every Conti I have ridden is not round. I think for such an expensive tire it should be a better quality.

ks04us

by ks04us

Veloflex Tires are good, and you can get them at wisecyclebuys.com, which match prices and offer free shipping. I think they are about $100 for the Record tubs and they weigh 180grms. Check 'em out. They've got other cool stuff also.

MiNtzNUrMth

by MiNtzNUrMth

Are the zipp 202's even out yet? If so where are you getting them from?

Zac

nicrump

by nicrump

conti comp 220's if you can stll get em. most reliable sub 230 gram tubs out there

drew

by drew

MiNtzNUrMth wrote:Are the zipp 202's even out yet? If so where are you getting them from?

Zac

I'm not sure when they arrive, I am in no rush due to winter. I am getting them from http://www.allseasonssport.com in London Ontario Canada. Thanks for all your help guys

Superlite

by Superlite

Zipp 202's won't be out until Feb at earliest. Patience my good friend. If you build it, he will come. :wink:

:-)

by :-)

tufo's ...... but dont forget the sealant :-)

spytech

by spytech

what do you guys think of the Tufo clincher tubular tires. i am thinking about getting the Elite road or the Hi-Composite Carbon. which would be better for everyday use? elite is $67, Hi-Composite Carbon is $48

drew

by drew

spytech wrote:what do you guys think of the Tufo clincher tubular tires. i am thinking about getting the Elite road or the Hi-Composite Carbon. which would be better for everyday use? elite is $67, Hi-Composite Carbon is $48

I have used them for cross and they are great! completely reduces pinch flats. But cant see the benefit for road where pinch flats are not an issue.
Are they significantly lighter than tube and tire? to repair requires unscrewing the valve and filling with sealent, tedious to do on the side of the road.

:-)

by :-)

spytech wrote:what do you guys think of the Tufo clincher tubular tires. i am thinking about getting the Elite road or the Hi-Composite Carbon. which would be better for everyday use? elite is $67, Hi-Composite Carbon is $48

i have heard they will shake the teeth outta ya head & you only wanna go in a straight line when its wet

drew

by drew

:-) wrote: i have heard they will shake the teeth outta ya head & you only wanna go in a straight line when its wet

Sounds great for testers or hill climbers then!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com