HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:38 pm 

What I´m looking for is hands on experience with both the building and the riding of the rims. I´m not looking for experience with prebuilt factory Flo 30 wheels.

I´m considering bying and building a wheel set with these rims. My plan is to use

- DT Swiss 240s straight pull hubs and spokes (for more strength) 24h/20h.

- DT Swiss Pro Lock Hexagonal Aluminium Nipples

I´m around 82 kg/180 lbs, and planning on using them for training 300 km a week in flat and windy terrain.

How did you build yours? And how do they ride?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 pm 
Shop Owner

I tried to build a set once, however it seemed I got a set that was not made to spec, as the actual ERD was way off what they actually quote on their site. Wound up giving up on the project before finishing, however my other impressions were that they were very heavy, roughly finished, and generally seemed very cheap. If you're hell-bent on using them, I'd go with a low spoke count to take the greatest advantage of their aerodynamic qualities; the rims have got so much meat on them that you can probably get away with it.

Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:52 pm 

There has been another discussion on this BHS rim where someone thought it might not be as aero as the Flo but as this is weight weenies and also BHS is an advertiser/sponsor you should check it out http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/208.htm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 pm 

The finish on the rims definitely isn't as nice as H+ Son - which I don't think is as nice as HED. But they roll!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:40 pm 

Slagter - That's cool that you want to build your own set. Curious to know what benefit you look to gain in doing so. Do you prefer the DT Swiss 240 hubs over the ones they provide? Prefer the nipples or spokes you are planning to use over the FLO provided ones? Cost? Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:04 pm 

Thanks for your replies guys. I will reconsider my options.

@ intheknowcycling

Since I live en Scandinavia, I will have to pay import duties of whatever I buy from the states. So the price for the factory build Flo 30 wheel set, will be more like 750 $ or more, instead of the 500 listed, before they reach my doorstep. The rims alone will be 270 with import duties.

The factory build Flo 30 wheelset only come with silver spokes, and I prefer black.

Also I prefer the DT hubs, since they are some of the best money can buy, pretty bullet proof, long lasting, easy to service, easy to repair, cheap spares/freehubs and so on. And I´m pretty sure they are better than Flo´s own (no offense to Flocycling). I also thought of building them with CK R45, but import duties again makes this an expensive option. Besides import duties, CK have no straight pull option, which I prefer for a stronger wheel.

I enjoy building wheels my self, and I was looking for something like Zipp 101 that I could build. A DT 240s/Flo 30 wheel set will last long. And when/if the rims get worn down, I can build whatever I want on the hubs myself after that. If I choose to just build a new set of Flo´s, it will only cost me 270 $, but I will still be free to build the DT´s with different rims, if that´s what I want, when the time comes.

But I´m still undecided - suggestions/comments will still be very appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:52 pm 

A customer called the other day asking me to calculate spoke lengths for the Flo 30. I didn't have the ERD handy and read here that the stated ERD might be off. The customer didn't know what "ERD" meant, so I thought it'd be better to ask someone here.

So, what did you measure ERD at? I assume 12mm nipples will be fine, or is the spoke bed pretty thick and 14mm would be better?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:05 pm 

I decided to order a set. They are in customs now. As soon as I get them, I´ll measure the ERD...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:38 am 

I measured my Flo30 rims at 580-580.5mm, so quite a bit off from claimed. I let them know, but I don't think they will update their product page. Not sure, why they don't measure the rims they are selling.

They built up fine, though (both) my rims had a significant (1+mm?) hop at the weld that I couldn't get rid of (without really making tensions imbalanced, anyway). The finish quality of the rim was definitely lower than I was expecting -- not as nice as H+ for sure. They seemed to have some scuffs/scrapes on them like from a rough cleaning/polishing or something. It is OK; they are on the commuter. I took off the stickers which looked really cheap to me.

But the thing that really bugged me was how hard it is to mount tires on these rims. They are the most difficult rims I have ever encountered -- and I used Velo plugs and am running GP4000S tires, which fit loosely on every other rim I have used. I bought a Crank Bros speed lever so that I wouldn't be stranded if I got a flat on the trail; used it for the first time last week (it worked great).

But they do roll nicely! And they look great. They make some wind noise which is nice. And they feel very solid in construction, which they should for being so portly :). These are my commuter disc-brake wheels; other than the tire change challenges they seem great for that task. The 25mm Conti tire measures 28mm on these rims.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:08 pm 

Very good review - thank you. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Would you mind posting some pictures?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:21 am 

I've got a factory built pair, with GP4000-S II's, I really rate them- they are the wet weather wheels for my race bike, dry being HED Stinger 4's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 am 

Sure - I don't have any great photos of the wheels themselves, but this is them on the bike. (The tires have reflective stripe; the rims themselves are all-black.) Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:40 am 

Thanks. Looks really good. As far as I can count from your picture, it´s a 28h/28h configuration you´re running?

Btw I think that Flo recommend running a 23 mm tire for best aero advantage.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:22 am 

Yes, I am running 28/28 here. These are plenty stiff in that configuration; i would probably do 24/28 if i were using rim brakes, but the primary goal is durability. For whatever negatives there are, I will say these rims seem very solidly constructed, not like the super thin walls of the Kinlin rims, e.g.

I am not too worried about the aerodynamics, since this is the commuter (and tends to have fenders on over the winter), though I realize most will care about that. (Indeed, the measured performance on these is impressive.). Makes sense, though; I would imagine the 23mm tire would measure ~25mm on these rims (which is the outer width of the rim IIRC). My main motivation was a wide rim for 25 and 28mm tires that was also deep to increase stiffness etc. The price was nice on these compared to Hed C2+ and I also like the ano black for disc-brake use.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:03 pm 

Finally got my rims released from danish customs after 1 month of waiting. I ended up paying:

160 $: rims
43 $: shipping
78 $: Costums and import duties

281 $ = 224 euros: in total

I measured the ERDs between 583 and 584 mm from spokebed to spokebed.

The rimweights are 566 grams and 570 grams.

All in all very close to what Flo list on their WEBSITE/BLOG:

I find the finish and the coating very nice. Nothing bad to say about that.

Now comes my favorite part - the building process :P

Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:03 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next