HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:21 pm 

Clearly arranged in order of descending cost, but is it descending quality?
Any reason / experience to choose one over the other for all round spring / summer racing / training / riding for a 65 kg rider on sometimes indifferent (at best) UK roads?

Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:21 am 

I'd vote for none of those and get the Kinlin XC-280 or better yet the BHS C31w. The rim is wider, as light/strong and at a glance much more aero.

The Kinlin XR-300 does test surprisingly well for a narrow v-shaped rim (Tour test - outperforms the Zipp 101!) so would be my pick of the three, but there are much better options (as mentioned above).

If you want something factory built at that depth I'd look at the Shimano RS81-c35 or the Flo 30s. Similar weight, Flo has heavy rims whilst the shimano has heavy hubs and (probably) isn't as aero.

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:45 pm 

istigatrice wrote:

I'd vote for none of those

or the Flo 30s.

+ 1

I´d go for the Flo30s.

Built them yourself with Tune hubs. Still cheaper and lighter and way more aero than the Zipp 30.

Besides the options you and istigatrice mention, you could consider Pacenti SL 23 rims. Several of the experienced wheel builders in here like them a lot. And they are 100 grams lighter than the Flo30s pr. rim and still very aero.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:34 am 

Be aware that Vision Trimax T30 is 13c rim, plus it's slightly oversized so mounting tire on it can be huge challenge. I broke 5 (!!!) tire levers ( 2 tacx, 3 conti ) on Conti Gp4000s2 25mm , cut some inner tubes ,had some walks home, and….sold them :)

Except this issue- great wheels. Stiff, sturdy and for 30mm alu - light. Great bearings too. If you use some "loose fit" tires - way better IMO than Zipp , KinLin I can't compare- never had, use, even seen. And not eager to ;) .

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:17 am 

istigatrice wrote:
I'd vote for none of those and get the Kinlin XC-280 or better yet the BHS C31w. The rim is wider, as light/strong and at a glance much more aero.

The Kinlin XR-300 does test surprisingly well for a narrow v-shaped rim (Tour test - outperforms the Zipp 101!) so would be my pick of the three, but there are much better options (as mentioned above).

If you want something factory built at that depth I'd look at the Shimano RS81-c35 or the Flo 30s. Similar weight, Flo has heavy rims whilst the shimano has heavy hubs and (probably) isn't as aero.

which tour test was this? with what tyres?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 am 

Think it was a 2011 or 2012 test. Can't remember the issue. Tyres were conti gp4000s 23mm.

Also I strongly disagree with the opinion of the vision rims. The design would be very dated. Especially if it's internal wodth is 13mm, only mavic are dumb enough to use that width on aero rims.

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:02 pm 

In Tour tests Trabant can easy outperform Porsche ;)

With what opinion about Vision wheels you don't agree ? About strength ? Hubs ? Reliability ? Build quality ?

Did you see in person 21 and 23mm good quality tire ( and I don't consider Conti4000s as good, they're just decent. Veloflex is good. ) mounted on them (shape) ? Did you saw how tire seats on rim ?

Did you rode it ? You know how they feel & behave ?

Be precise .

I'm sure that you didn't ever saw them personally , not saying to ride them. But you have opinion… About something you saw on web only…

And multi bilion company with 100+ y of history is dumb. You are not. They are . And all people using their products are. Not you. No way..

Please….

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:04 pm 

Thanks for the input so far, but I don't really want to go any wider than a standard rim (e.g. current Campag 20.5mm)
Any more experience / ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:47 pm 
in the industry

Kinlin XC279 is a better rim than the XR300. 24H rear wheel with the XR-300 feels flexible compared to one built with the same hub and spokes with the XC-279. The XC-270 is mostly likely a bit more aerodynamic as well. Never going to build with a 13mm internal width rim again. Ride quality suffer to much.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:57 pm 

I don't want this to sound like a plug - but if you are running 10 speed ......., BikeHubStore has Pacenti SL23 builds with CX-ray hand built for $595

http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/pacentiwheels.htm

If I didn't just move from 10 to 11 speed - I would purchase that in a heartbeat !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:00 pm 

Gary71 wrote:
I don't want this to sound like a plug - but if you are running 10 speed ......., BikeHubStore has Pacenti SL23 builds with CX-ray hand built for $595

http://www.bikehubstore.com/product-p/pacentiwheels.htm

If I didn't just move from 10 to 11 speed - I would purchase that in a heartbeat !

Sorry for the thread drift - but this looks like a nice deal. Does anyone know anything about the quality and serviceability of the Pacenti hubs? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:09 pm 

This is another good option from Bike Hub Store. It uses the new Kinlin 31mm deep wide rim. Only thing I'd prefer is brass nipples since I think they're more durable and the weight difference is tiny.

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/208.htm

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:34 pm 

This summer for three months, I was riding my Token C28A wheelset in UK roads.
It is a set built with Token hubs, Pillar spokes and BHS C472 rims.
Quite stiff. Really comfortable because of width, and also aero and light enough for the rolling terrain.

It seems like, C31w is the updated version of the rims I have, so I believe it will be a quite good choice for you.

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:34 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:12 am 

I appreciate these suggestions - seems people are very much directing me to the new wider rims, and I understand the arguments in their favour.
What makes me hesitant is I'm concerned about frame / brake clearance :noidea: - can anyone give any feedback over 23/24 mm rims in a Pinarello FP Quattro - pics would be good! - is the clearance with 23 / 25 mm tyres?