HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: CAAD9 Headset
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 am 

I purchased a Cane Creek IS-3i campy compatible hiddenset BUT,

the bearings appear to be 45x36 Italian not 45x45. Will this still work with the CAAD9's headtube?

The cannondale rep had said:
The CAAD9 requires a headset that is Campy hiddenset compatible, 45 x 45 bearing angles, 1 1/8 inch. Cane Creek, FSA and Ritchey make compatible headsets.

Everything matches apart from the bearing angles. Now why would Cane Creek say it's Campy/Italian compatible but make it in different bearing angles (45x36 instead of 45x45) or will the shim/adaptor/crown race make this compatible and 100% fine to use or should i purchase a Campy Record or Richey WCS hiddenset in 45x45 beairngs?

(I've searched in regards to this, but nothing in reference to the is-3i)

Help appreciated!

Post subject: Re: CAAD9 Headset
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 am 
Administrator

Have you asked cannondale in the US yet? shoot them a mail. I'm sure they can give you a better answer then we can.

Follow me on twitter. I try to be interesting ;)
On Facebook!

Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 am 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:05 am 

yes, already have, said this:

The CAAD9 requires a headset that is Campy hiddenset compatible, 45 x 45 bearing angles, 1 1/8 inch. Cane Creek, FSA and Ritchey make compatible headsets.

but will the cane creek is-3i campy compatible 36x45 italian 41.8 work too even though they're not 45x45?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 am 

just found this info from competitive cyclist:

seems as thought it will work?

The Campagnolo (Italian) headset standard uses a bearing with a larger outer race diameter. Otherwise, the Cane Creek IS-3i uses the same technology as their IS-3 integrated headsets. The difference is the Campagnolo Italian standard has a 41.8mm o.d. and the Cane Creek standard uses 41mm o.d. Both have a 45 degree contact surface on their outer race. Be aware that frames using the Campagnolo standard may use headsets with the smaller bearing. The bearings will drop into the head tube bearing seats and the angles will match. However, the danger here is that the bearings will set too deeply into the head tube, perhaps causing interference between the frame and headset parts. Similarly, if the contact at the bearing seat is too narrow, the bearings won't have a sufficient support and the system will be weakened. The safe bet for bikes requiring the Campagnolo style headset, is to use an appropriate model like the Cane Creek IS-3i Integrated Headset.

The IS-3i headset sits squarely in the middle of their range. Quite frankly, it should be on our list of high value (or more bang for your buck) items. It comes from the company that invented threadless technology so you know that it's good. The Cane Creek IS-3i uses their split compression ring to ensure proper preloading of the bearings and an even distribution of leverage forces onto the steerer tube. It comes with two optional top bearing covers -- one short and one tall. The angular contact cartridge bearings drop straight into headtubes designed to use the 41.8mm Campagnolo Hiddenset standard for integrated headsets. 68.4 grams

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/road-bikes/product-components/2010-cane-creek-is-3i-hiddenset-6636.29.1.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:34 pm 

See from Park Tool website

The "IS" system is considered the most common. The name Integrated System is not a registered trade name. The system uses the 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearings for the 1-1/8 inch steering columns use a 41mm outside diameter with a 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearing may be marked "36-45". The first number refers to the inside bearing contact with the headset race or centering cone. The second number refers to the frame contact.

The important thing for the headset bearing to fit is the outer diameter and angle. So for the "i" versions of Cane Creek headsets, they use the 41.8mm outside diameter and 45 degree angle.

However, in order to maintain compatibility with their own crown races and headset compression rings/top caps they use a 36 degree inner angle.

So in other words, it will fit perfectly, but you have to use the Cane Creek crown race and compression ring.

I went through this whole business with a Bianchi frame with Campy headset standard when I wanted to put in a 110 IS headset. According to Cane Creek customer service, even that will work (though it's the 41mm outer diameter). You just have to be sure the bearings are seated straight and properly, before tightening everything up. It worked fine, no rattling, no loosening, but I decided to go back to Campy bearings just to be safe.

In theory if you wanted to "upgrade" to higher end Cane Creek headsets (though for IS systems it's just a better cap really), you could keep the bearings and buy the ring, cap, etc for the 110 etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 pm 

I'd just sell/return whatever you have now and get the headset the frame is made for. Why cut corners on a $40 part that plays an important role in performance an safety?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm 

Am I missing something?

You have a 45x36.
Cannondale requires a 45x45.
They're different for a reason...why do you think it would still work?

- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:19 am 

mlchang wrote:
See from Park Tool website

The "IS" system is considered the most common. The name Integrated System is not a registered trade name. The system uses the 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearings for the 1-1/8 inch steering columns use a 41mm outside diameter with a 45-degree bearing contact in the frame. The bearing may be marked "36-45". The first number refers to the inside bearing contact with the headset race or centering cone. The second number refers to the frame contact.

The important thing for the headset bearing to fit is the outer diameter and angle. So for the "i" versions of Cane Creek headsets, they use the 41.8mm outside diameter and 45 degree angle.

However, in order to maintain compatibility with their own crown races and headset compression rings/top caps they use a 36 degree inner angle.

So in other words, it will fit perfectly, but you have to use the Cane Creek crown race and compression ring.

I went through this whole business with a Bianchi frame with Campy headset standard when I wanted to put in a 110 IS headset. According to Cane Creek customer service, even that will work (though it's the 41mm outer diameter). You just have to be sure the bearings are seated straight and properly, before tightening everything up. It worked fine, no rattling, no loosening, but I decided to go back to Campy bearings just to be safe.

In theory if you wanted to "upgrade" to higher end Cane Creek headsets (though for IS systems it's just a better cap really), you could keep the bearings and buy the ring, cap, etc for the 110 etc.

That is correct.

Just had confirmation from Cane Creek themselves... (summarised email)

The Cane Creek IS-3i is Campy/Italian compatible - that is the bearing diameter and the outside angle is same (inside does not matter - will get to that in a tick).

Campy only makes bearings that are 41.8 45/45 Hence cannondale requires this. BUT, Cane Creeks IS-3i is compatible due to the outside bearing being 45degrees and the diameter being 41.8mm (fits for a 42mm tube) The inner angle is 36degrees, hence on the fork you use the Cane Creek supplied 36 degree crown race. If you use a campy record set, then you use the campy crown race that is 45degrees.

So all will be fine, diameter and outer angle match, and will use the cane creek crown race.

Thanks for your help guys!

ps. you cannot use bearings that are like "IS-3" without the "i" as these are not campy compatible due to being 41mm in diameter not 41.8 and may come in 36/36 angles!

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:19 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 pm 

You got it! The new headset allows for an interchangability of contact races between standard Cane Creek and Campag.

All that really matters is the outer angle and the bearing diameter, which should be 45* and 42mm resp.