Chaincatcher for Super Six

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KH

by KH

Hello,

I'm looking for a chain catcher to stick on my Cannondale Super Six. In the unlikely event of the chain dropping I really don't want to mangle my frame. Or have to get off the bike it it happens in a race.

I've got the 09 frameset and SRAM Force front mech. Not sure the K Edge will be compatible with the mech and the Deda Dog Fang apparently won't fit around the flared seat tube. So I'm a bit stuck...

vidman

by vidman

KH wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for a chain catcher to stick on my Cannondale Super Six. In the unlikely event of the chain dropping I really don't want to mangle my frame. Or have to get off the bike it it happens in a race.

I've got the 09 frameset and SRAM Force front mech. Not sure the K Edge will be compatible with the mech and the Deda Dog Fang apparently won't fit around the flared seat tube. So I'm a bit stuck...

Far and Near from FWB?
Or the Rotor one?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I have been using the "Jump Stop", which really seems like a superior design; for round tubes anyway.
The designer/manufacturer said he was working on a design to accomodate flared tubes, so you might try to contact him and see how it is going.

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/

The clamp for the standard "round tube" version is a fiber-reinforced plastic, so it seems like it would stretch and conform to a certain amount of non-roundness. I guess it depends on exactly how flared at the desired install location you are.
Last edited by Rick on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toshi

by toshi

Hi KH, have you seen this solution? I think it becomes more difficult if your inner chainring is a 34t. But for 36 or 39s it should do. Basically a dog fang cut up so that part of it is a ziptie, to accomodate a larger downtube junction:

Cocolo

by Cocolo

...or you can make your own with an old aluminum water bottle cage. Check out the one I made for my SuperSix (about mid-page down). viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60505&start=15

Chirobike

by Chirobike

Made one myself and honestly it took 20 minutes and that's b/c I painted it. Used some aluminum flat stock; cut, twisted & bent it in the vise. Drilled a hole and installed. Did need extra long 5mmx8 bolt for the Ft. Der. though...got it at the hardware store.

http://myfaitaccompli.blogspot.com/2010/04/more-pics.html

K-edge chain keeper is too expensive, Far & Away is reasonable although I do like that Rotor one with the recessed bolt hole (may not need the .90 longer bolt). Might want to use a serrated washer to bite into it to keep it from rotating when you're tightening it up.

I'd do this over clamping something on the tube just to keep the chain on. I'm sure you could come up with a version yourself for pennies. :beerchug:

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

I'm using the Far And Near chain catcher on my Scott Addict with braze-on FD and integral FD hanger. It weighed in at 6g (chain catcher, bolt and red plate), which is on target.

It works as advertised, but I had to swap out the Far And Near bolt for a longer bolt. The Far And Near bolt was only engaging the first 3 or 4 threads, which allowed my SRAM Red FD to twist under shifting. It took awhile to identify the shorter bolt as the culprit for my extremely poor shifting FD, but the shifting went back to 100% once the longer bolt was installed. It cost me a gram or two, but clearly I had to do it.

Have any other Far And Near chain catcher users experience this or something similar?

(The pics are of the shorter bolt, but one really can't tell there's a longer bolt there now...)

Geoff

by Geoff

I have some of Nibali's bikes in my collection. Liquigas uses the Deda Dog Fang. Just drill the thing and zip-tie it like tishi suggests. Apparentlty, you can win the Giro with that set-up!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

if it'll fit your seat tube, you might try this:

http://www.gvtc.com/~ngear/whatis.html
Last edited by jz4nyc on Sun May 30, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

velomonkey

by velomonkey

Still can't find one that fits the 2010 Super Six. I am running a compact so adds to the difficulty. Rotor won't work because the derailleur is not a braze-on and the seat tube is too wide to accept most others.
Anyone have an idea?

CBJ

by CBJ

Do people have a lot of problem with chains falling off?

BikeNerd2453

by BikeNerd2453

CBJ wrote:Do people have a lot of problem with chains falling off?

Go back to RM Claus! :)

I think it's a matter of "better safe than sorry," especially with super-light carbon frames...

velomonkey

by velomonkey

My thinking is 28 grams of prevention is worth a carbon frame of cure.

supercrank

by supercrank

re: question of K-edge compatibility, this should be no problem. I just installed a K-edge on my '10 super six HM with a SRAM red FD and compact SiSl crank. No problems so far. It comes with a serrated washer to help snug things down, as well as the extra long bolt for SRAM derailleurs.

velomonkey

by velomonkey

Can you please post a pic of the setup?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com