HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:07 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
Is it because it attracts grit which will wear the chain down faster?

That would be my best guess too....

The wax being much more sticky than regular lube, chances are that any dirt particles would stick more firmly to the chain links and thereby cause permanent damage are IMO quite realistic.

I hold no hard facts on the matter so take it with caution. :wink:

Ciao, 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:50 pm 

fdegrove wrote:
Anyone with a good trick to clean RD pulleys without actually dismantling the entire thing?

The park cyclone tool works well for me. I use it with mineral spirits. Take off rear wheel an install old hub to keep chain up. I do it twice if really dirty or new. Best thing I have every used to clean on bike, bar non. Will drip all over the place to keep extra rags handy and don't let drip into BB.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:50 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:00 pm 

jersievers wrote:
fdegrove wrote:
Anyone with a good trick to clean RD pulleys without actually dismantling the entire thing?

The park cyclone tool works well for me. I use it with mineral spirits. Take off rear wheel an install old hub to keep chain up. I do it twice if really dirty or new. Best thing I have every used to clean on bike, bar non. Will drip all over the place to keep extra rags handy and don't let drip into BB.

I have the park cyclone also. Seems to work well. It has brushes that clean the chain's rollers and plates. It also has a magnet in the bottom to draw metalic particles in. I've thought about trying some other similar products to see which one works the best but what's the point when the park works as good as it does. I use the Pedro's Degreaser but have thought about using something else. Any recommendations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:06 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
The park cyclone tool works well for me. I use it with mineral spirits. Take off rear wheel an install old hub to keep chain up.

Lifu also carry a tool that keeps the chain under tension should anyone need it.
In case you don't have a spare hub and are still on speaking terms with your LBS [kidding], one of those plastic thingies the manufacturers use to protect the fork and rear train from bending inwards works great too for hanging the chain on.
They usually just flip the things into the dustbin, so why not ask for a set?
I always keep some handy for that and whenever the bike needs to go inside the back compartment of the car for travelling.

Either way it looks as if the rear wheel needs to be removed to access the other side of the pulleys.
No point in meticulously cleaning the chain while having all that crud amassing around the pulley wheels, I reckon.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, Jer.
Always interesting to see with what somebody else's come up with.

Ciao, :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:49 pm 

The crud that's sitting near the center of the pulley is just sitting there. You can remove most of the cake with a towel. I don't see a point in making that area clean as new.

As for the chain, I only clean it once before I install it. Then I lube it with the famous "Homebrew" and wipe down with towel. I don't have to clean my chain with any solvent or device afterward during use.

The factory stuff does indeed make a chain run very smoothly. It's a horrible dirt magnet however, and it sticks to the cassette like glue. A big hassle to remove once it's caked on. Never again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:55 pm 

I clean the caked on crud on the pulleys with a towel with some degreaser on it. This stuff doesn't come in direct contact with the chain really. The parts that do come into contact in that way can be clean with the Park Cyclone (or similar tool).
I typically try to use towels that do not shed fibers easily. I use old T-Shirts. Just my preference.

I agree with Divve on the factory chain parafin wax lube. Very difficult to get off the cassette. I had to remove mine and give it a good scrubbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:04 pm 

Actually the best solvent is a chlorinated hydrocarbon like trichloroethylene. That stuff is extremely aggressive and will clean a gunky chain to bare metal in seconds.

But not too good for you in terms of fumes and not environmentally friendly.

I use a strong biodegradable detergent and heat it up in the microwave to boiling. Simple green or Big orange cleaners work quite well this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:00 pm 

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Ok....Now we have two Tom Cruise impressions......

Get a large bike sized container..place bike inside it.............shake vigourously, and Hey Presto!!!! A 3rd Tom Cruise impression :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:34 pm 

This stuff works great. It is hard to believe it's natural!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:19 pm 

I have used that in the past and it does work great, but it is so damn expensive where I am. I used to pay about $18 for one bottle, and it's not the greatest of quantities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:06 pm 

One lemon cut to half.
Rub with the half-lemon the chain, pulleys or chain ring. For the back derailleur, squeeze the lemon for the juice. After wash with a little of water and any soap.
Finally, dry it well with a old t-shirt.
I have a lemon-tree in my garden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:06 pm 
in the industry

uphillisgood wrote:
To just get it off the surface of the chain (all that's required in order to keep dirt/dust from sticking to the chain), I just spray a clean towel with WD40 and wipe the chain a few times, then wipe it with the dry part of the towel.

I can get close to 1000 miles of riding on a new DA chain without ever lubing it.
No No No!!! WD40 is Evil. It is not a lube, it's a releasing agent and contact cleaner. It strips grease and doesn't let fresh lube adhere. GT85 is better as it doesn't flush all lube away.

Go to page Previous  1, 2