KMC 10 SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I just talked with KMC USA and they say the chain is not in the states yet, mid july both the x9sl and x10sl will be available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Thats the MSRP madcow?

Knut

by Knut

fdegrove wrote:It seems that a 9S SL exists though:

Yep, also available via

http://www.starbike.com/php/product_info.php?lang=en&table=tblKetten&id=283

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Superlite wrote:Thats the MSRP madcow?

should be around $50-$60

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I asked Gypzybikz about it, Martin says it is in stock in the 9spd version but weight is not as claimed

"I don't know at how many links KMC measures, but all chains we weighed so far were between 258 and 260 g at 116 links."

Still a nice chain for the money.

Thanks for the info Martin.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

"I don't know at how many links KMC measures, but all chains we weighed so far were between 258 and 260 g at 116 links."

Which still makes it about the lightest commonly available chain I think....

Given that it also comes with a Commonlink a la SRAM Powerlink and that it should be less prone to stretching than the other contenders, I'd give the KMC offering a go.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

spytech

by spytech

how would this kmc chain compare to a wipperman? how would kmc fair against wipperman at all, quality wise?

King Weel

by King Weel

SL, I just ran into this one:

http://hometown.aol.de/ingenieurtec/1841545.htm

Dont know if they can actually order one already.
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

eurorider

by eurorider

I just snapped a regular X10 yesterday in a race on my 9spd MTB. One of the rivets ripped out of one side of the missing link.

I liked this chain due to its low weight and ability to be easily removed for cleaning but somebody has mentioned to me that the missing link of KMC chains was never meant to be disassembled and then reused like the Powerlink of SRAM chains. I don't know if this is indeed true or not.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I don't know if this is indeed true or not.

I think it is true.
I vaguely recall from reading an instruction leaflet accompanying the KMC chains that it was just meant to facilitate fixing a broken chain.
Could be wrong though.

Ciao, :wink:
Last edited by fdegrove on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

mises

by mises

Since mine have shipped it's safe to report that Gypzybikz have the X10SL now.

OCLV

by OCLV

I've ordered a silver KMC X9SL two day before! It'll come next week (at least I hope so). I've ordered it from ingenieurtec.de. I was told that I would get the last chain that he has and that he doesn't know when he'll get some new.

Think that I'm gonna mount it on my bike in autumn because my current DA 7701 chain is still "fresh" with only about 700 km. But I think I'll weight it when it comes to me.

Thomas

jersievers

by jersievers

I just whipped on a x10 chain on my shimano da 10 drive train last weekend. Put about 200 on it now, working great. Shifting much better then my 7800 chain did. Not the same spec, built to Campy 10 standards but works very well. Had to adjust my front dir a little because the chain is slightly wider. But .3 mm is not much.

Someone have a link on the new KMC SL? I have been a huge fan of KMC X chains for last two years.

Also, I have not used them off road...I had trouble with the SRAM "master link" for MTB use a few years ago and started puting a shimano pin in them. The chain worked great after that. For some reason the grit of MTB and the bouncing really messed up the "master link".

I have use the KMC master links on all my bikes(all but my MTB...all includes for cyclocross.), brothers and girl friends bikes. Thats like 12 bikes, over 2 years. I used them for 3 changes, then toss and get new link. I just buy a card of 6 from LBS, like 10 bucks if you know the owner.