Giant TCR advanced Silver Dream

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Craigagogo wrote:I had to file the offending dropout down and voila, rear wheel tracking true again. The amout removed was about 2-3mm's.

Craig,

I thought about that as a simple solution to the problem but (A) we got the frame less than 2 months ago after waiting since October of last year and this should not have gotten through the quality control process; (B) for the TCR Advanced, there is more material available in the rear dropouts than on the front dropouts and filing them could possibly cause other problems not too mention void the warranty. For example, Giant will not honor a warranty claim on a fork if the consumer files off the safety tabs (aka lawyer tabs) on the dropouts on the fork.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Tippster

by Tippster

Silver Da cranks go really well with the silver frame.

great looking bike. Nice to see a departure from the "everybody has to have" stealth look...
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

staggerlee

by staggerlee

nice bike - shame about the car! why do bike riders like gas guzzling cars? especially BMW's - chav or what!!

jersievers

by jersievers

Did you say "lead tape"? Isn't that kind of like kryptonite? I think the lead tape might jump right off your bike if it gets too close.

jersievers

by jersievers

staggerlee wrote:nice bike - shame about the car! why do bike riders like gas guzzling cars? especially BMW's - chav or what!!

Never knew a weenie who had a fast bike, that didn't want a fast car too.

sharkman

by sharkman

Gazz guzzling? sounds like the guy owns a hummer. From the size of the car's wheels it could be one of the slower petrol or diesel versions and certainly no racer. A real weight weenie needs something with a big boot, loads of carbon fiber and decent speed: I suggest the Audi RS6 Estate would do :twinkle:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

MS6073, that problem with the fork is unbelievable. It theoretically should not be possible with automated mfg technique. It is as if one of the drop outs was not fully inserted.

Also, is it just me - I really don't like these 2005 TCR's. I think the colour on the front does not look as good as the natural carbon weave as seen on the 2004's TCR's. The fact that it is also one big sticker doesn't sit well with me either.

ajh

by ajh

I like the silver better than my pink bike. I also get good gas milage in the BMW. It is not as bad as any of the SUV's and trucks that infest our roads. Also if you have driven a BMW you would not even think about the gas and only think how great it is to drive.

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:I think the colour on the front does not look as good as the natural carbon weave as seen on the 2004's TCR's.

Prior to test riding a TCR Advanced prototype last year, I was really beginning to think that I was simply too hard on wheels. With the old frameset, the rear end seemed loose and the rear wheel rather flexy as I would get brake rub from the rear wheel under hard accelerations during climbs or hard accelerations when exiting corners during races. There is none of that feeling with the TCR Advanced frameset not too mention it is lighter wieght for the same size frameset.

The fact that it is also one big sticker doesn't sit well with me either.

Not sure I understand what you mean, ours sport the Silver/Natural/Gold paint scheme not the T-Mobil color scheme. The TCR Advanced frameset replaces a 2003 model TCR Team Composite, a limited production run that was the result of Team ONCE changing their minds over graphics even though Giant had already manufactured about 1/3 of the production run. The frameset features natural carbon, no clear coat, and yellow/grey graphics featuring the ONCE and Giant logos).

That image is from when we first got the framesets and the build has undergone drastic changes but the frames still look good and I now use mine as a crit race bike with a stronger wheelset due to the difference in stiffness through the bottom bracket and chain stays of the old frameset compared to the new TCR Advanced frameset.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

http://www.t-mobile-team.com/cms/tmotea ... =62736.jpg

maybe we can get the black/magenta paint scheme in the future

divve

by divve

I don't know. It looks almost worse...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

MS6073, regarding the sticker thing: my understanding is that the front end "paint job" on the 2005 TCR's is really just a big stick on decal that is applied under the clear coat. I recal examining a bike (not an Advanced - just a regular TCR 1 or 2) in a shop and finding the edge. I am not sure about the TCR Advanced with this same "paint job", but I assume it is the same sticker. If it is a real paint job then it is indeed very sophisticated work - check it out on your bike and let me know - look for an edge where the colour fades back to carbon.

Also I didn't intend to compare the 2004 TCR with the Advanced - there is no comparison - the Advanced is the superior frame for most serious riders.

I happen to have a 2004 TCR and I will say this: I prefer the graphics and the contoured seat tube to the 2005 models. It seems that Giant has found a cheaper way to produce the regular TCR by changing the seat tube. I assume the 2005 TCR is the better handling bike, but the changes in geometry (longer wheel base), construction and finish from the 2004 seem to have neutered the bike somewhat. The advanced on the other hand has it all as far as I am concerned and would be top of my list if I was shopping for a new bike today.

As for the pink bike thing - yeah, I think the T-Mobile graphic is a bit much.

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

great bike :thumbup:
only thing i would change are the handlebars - they dont look comfy to go in the drop or brakehoods

ajh

by ajh

The HB are Ritchey Carbon and I have tilted them up a little more and they are perfect now.

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:MS6073, regarding the sticker thing: my understanding is that the front end "paint job" on the 2005 TCR's is really just a big stick on decal that is applied under the clear coat.

Well I picked up the warranty frame on Friday and had it rebuilt before the wife arrived home from the office. My 2001 TCR Team had a black annodized finish for the alluminum and it used a decal that extended from just aft of the head tube and with no clear coat, began peeling off after about 1/2 a year. Not really a problem when a frame is clear coated but with that and your comment in mind, I was curious about our framsets so I spent a few minutes making a close examiniation. After careful inspection with a worklight in the work shop, the heatube is entirely silver and there are no discernable seams or decal edges that I can find under the clear coat on the head tube or along the top tube. The frame sports a rather simple airbrushed finish applied over the cosmetic top carbon layer to achieve the silver, natural, and gold fade finish.

- Michael

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com