Cannondale CAA7 Optimo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tsielio

by Tsielio

almost 18 years
72 kg
54 framesize
172,5 cranks

Superlite

by Superlite

Thanks for everyones help, I've decide to fet the CAAD 7 with SI cranks. Will post as my bike is being built up.

Hey T, how tall are you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tsielio

by Tsielio

I'm about 1metre75

for pictures of my bike, go to my website

ciao amigo

benz76

by benz76

Hey Superlite, my source at Cannondale Italia told me that Cannondale will release something on project CAAD 8 on February 2004. This should also be the moment they start selling it, at around 10% more than standard CAAD 7 (Optimo).
Hope these rumors are true... I'm looking forward to put my eyes (and hands) on it!!!

Bye, Benz.

Superlite

by Superlite

Personally I doubt it, but it could happen. i beleive cannondale is waiting until the UCI approves cannondales request to lower the weight limit to 6600g I beleive and until that passes they aren't going to release anything. Besides the frame is far from complete, the one Simoni rode in the tour was was way to flexy he said, he prefered the CAAD 7. Also, Cannondal is done making CAAD frames, form now on they are going to be dubbed something else.

Thats cool if it does come out, but after seeing a team replica there's no way I'm getting anything else, besides, I just ordered it!

Mme.Chauchat

by Mme.Chauchat

[quote="Superlite"]I changed my mind again, now I'm looking at the R3000 and R5000, either complete bike or frameset. The frameset is pretty light, 1096g, not the lightest, but from what I hear it's very stilff and has a lifetime warrenty, so it's lite enough. But what do you guys think about it?

First of all hello and sorry about my bad english writing.
Where do you have this weight from? I ask, because I just read a Review about the Caad 7 in a German Bike magazin (Tour). They wrote about 1319g in size 56. 1096g would be a good progress compared to Caad 4,5,6, but I´m not shure if its the correct weight?

Superlite

by Superlite

Thats the claimed weight from cannondale 1096g. From the experiance I've had with them there weights are very accurate. I don't think it could have over a 200g discrepency, that weight must include the headset and maybe BB.

benz76

by benz76

One or two words about weights accuracy: today I weighted two or three bikes... and I have some interesting result to tell you.

First: Pinarello Dogma frame + Onda fork + headset = 1800 gr. (55 size).
Second: Trek OCLV 120 + fork + Cane Creek headset : 2000 grams. (54)
Theird: De Rosa Merak 2003 (Dedacciai V107 alu) + fork (mizuno) + headset = 1650 gr. (54)

The only bike that comes close to claimed weight is Derosa. Pinarello shold be 250gr lighter than that... and also Trek is expected to be way lighter than this. WHY?

A little consideration... late night toughts from Italy: I've noticed that aluminuim bikes are not getting lighter anymore in past one or two years. Someone has insted became heavier (Derosa stopped production of UD for New Merak)... and some materials are no longer used by top manufacturers (Dedacciai U2).
Ever wondered why? I saw a frame breaking in front of me during a fast downhill from Stelvio Pass this summer. The frame wasn't simply absorbing road hits anymore: it started bending like a snake and... bam!! the bottom bracket cracked ! It was a Top manufacturer's frame. Simply his rider was too heavy for the bike. He was 85 kilos, not 130!
Italian manufacturers had always smoothened and polished weldings on their frames: they're not doing it anymore... because that used to weaken the weldings themselves.
Simply frames were getting too fragile... and is not simple to verify if a frame with weight limits (70kg max rider, e.g.) is really used by a rider within this limit. Looking after warranties was getting a bit too expensive for manufactures.

I'm not saying that also Cannondale is doing the same... but I know that also Cannondales used to brake in past years. Maybe they've traded lightness for strenght with CAAD7 ?

I'll get you a real and accurate CAAD7 weight as soon as possible.

Bye, Benz.

Superlite

by Superlite

You have access to weigh one? That would be great. I'm pretty sure they are quite accurate though, I weighed the complete bike, team edition at 6914g, right at the claimed weight, also weighed the fork, 312g, right at claimed weight, 410g with headset, starnut, and cap. Cannondale is pretty good about there advertised weights, but I totally agree with that manufacturers lie about them. I NEVER buy anything without weighing it, unless it's shimano, they're the only ones who are accurate.

Let me know what you find out.

Joel

by Joel

Frame weight depends on the size. Most manufacturers weigh a very small size

Superlite

by Superlite

Cannondales claimed weight comes from a 54cm, about mid range.

ks_rider

by ks_rider

Mme.Chauchat wrote:
Superlite wrote:I changed my mind again, now I'm looking at the R3000 and R5000, either complete bike or frameset. The frameset is pretty light, 1096g, not the lightest, but from what I hear it's very stilff and has a lifetime warrenty, so it's lite enough. But what do you guys think about it?

First of all hello and sorry about my bad english writing.
Where do you have this weight from? I ask, because I just read a Review about the Caad 7 in a German Bike magazin (Tour). They wrote about 1319g in size 56. 1096g would be a good progress compared to Caad 4,5,6, but I´m not shure if its the correct weight?

Wouldn't the weight difference come from size (56cm), headset and paint (1319g) versus size (54 cm), no headset, and unpainted (1096g)?

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Superlight-
Are you buying a 2004 team bike, the red one? I have an 03' the polished one, and since I know you've done the whole paint stripping thing, I'm just wondering if you're looking for NOS '03 bikes or what.

Mme.Chauchat

by Mme.Chauchat

All weights in grams, unless noted
Litespeed Ghisallo
Trek Carbon 110
Cannondale CAAD7
Frame - Med/Large Litespeed Ghisallo
Frame - 56cm Trek OCLV
Frame - 56cm Cannondale CAAD7

Fork - Uncut Steerer
Thomson Seatpost 410mm for sloping frame
Thomson Seatpost 250 for standard frame
Dura-Ace Crankset, 170mm
Dura-Ace Bottom Bracket
Cane Creek S-6 Headset
S.i. Crankset, 170mm
S.i. Bottom Bracket
S.i. Headset

Total Weight Grams

Total Weight Lbs.

Found this comparison. Of course again the weigh is coming from cannondale, so one never knows.

Superlite

by Superlite

Thanks, but I already had those weights, plus there last years. Just wondering where did you find them? I got those from a dealers catalouge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com