Placement of the Quarq magnet on a TCR Advanced 2012

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roark

by Roark

Hi,

I just bought a Giant TCR Advanced 2012 frame. Previously I had a 2010 TCR Advanced and used to place the magnet in the cable guide below the BB. However, in the new frame the cables are hidden and it is no longer possible to place the magnet there.

I really don't want to use the adhesive putty after reading some horror stories about the magnet getting loose, sticking on the chain and wreaking havoc in the cassette/rear mech. so if some of you have found a better solution, please share it.

Regards

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Hi,

I have a 2012 TCR Advanced SL ISP, and have been using Quarq since day 1. Basically, I put the magnet just behind the BB area on the flat spot on the drive side. I use 3M Automotive Grade double tape to secure the magnet without any problem.

Regards,
Andreas

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roark

by Roark

Andreas,

Is it too much to ask you to take and upload a picture of how you installed it? Is the double tape you mentioned ABSOLUTELY foolproof?

Regards

ms6073

by ms6073

A less intrusive option is to use very small rare earth magnet and use super glue to attach it to the chainstay immediately behind the bottom bracket.
Roark wrote:Is the double tape you mentioned ABSOLUTELY foolproof?
Based on experience I dont recommend it for cyclocross/off-road use. How well it works depends on the amount of care that is taken to clean the surfaces and attach the magnet to the frame. The tape is very tacky and adheres well as it is often used to hold plastic trim bits on an automobile but if you contaminate the adhesive after removing the backing, then it might not be as long lived.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

kbzoo

by kbzoo

I use double sided foam tape to attach the magnet to the chainstay for my SRM. No problems over the last 2+ years of use. The magnet I use is a Polar cadence magnet which has a flat rectangular shape, roughly 10 x 7mm in size, so it provides good surface area for adhesion. Just have to take care to properly degrease and clean the chainstay before sticking the magnet on.

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Roark wrote:Andreas,

Is it too much to ask you to take and upload a picture of how you installed it? Is the double tape you mentioned ABSOLUTELY foolproof?

Regards

Hi Roark,

Sorry for the dirty bike, it was raining yesterday and I don't have a chance to wast it. Please take a look at the photos.

Placemet of the magnet as follow:

Double tape that I used is actually Scotch Tape (not 3M)

It has Foam and the Color is Grey. I think you should be able to find it at DIY Store, Auto Part Store, or even Hobby Shops. Just look for the highest grade Foam Tape that the store has. Usualythe foam color are either Grey or Black. DO NOT USE THE WHITE FOAM DOUBLE SIDE TAPE.

I have been using this magnet for over a year without any problem.

Regards,
Andreas

Roark

by Roark

Andreas,

Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated! : ) Will try to procure the tape this afternoon and will test-ride it on Sunday.

Regards

djm

by djm

Btw... Scotch IS 3m, right? :-)

I used a bit of electrical tape on my frames to attach the SRM magnet. Works like a charm. The tape goes around the chainstay though, as it is vital to let the tape make contact with itself for proper adhesion.

Roark

by Roark

djm wrote:Btw... Scotch IS 3m, right? :-)

I used a bit of electrical tape on my frames to attach the SRM magnet. Works like a charm. The tape goes around the chainstay though, as it is vital to let the tape make contact with itself for proper adhesion.

The problem is that the magnet needs to be quite close to the BB bearings and the BB shell is so bulky that I don't think I can do that in this frame...

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

djm wrote:Btw... Scotch IS 3m, right? :-)

I tought about that for a second but I am not really sure. You are probably right :)

A.W

sungod

by sungod

if the quarq magnet is weak, you can use a small rare earth magnet instead

these allow a wider gap between magnet and sensor

depending on position, i attach with either superglue gel (not standard superglue), electrical tape or kapton tape

as above, proper degreasing of magnet and attachment point is important

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

Roark wrote:Andreas,

Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated! : ) Will try to procure the tape this afternoon and will test-ride it on Sunday.

Regards

Hi Roark, another important point is that you have to clean both surface so that it's free of oil and grease. Isopropyl Alcohol should be good.

A.W

djm

by djm

Good point about the magnet strength. I used a neodymium magnet from the local hardware store and could be positioned pretty far away from the SRM at least.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com