brakes to get

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jbag011

by jbag011

so i have a caad9 bb30 with centaur. i want to get new brakes i have chorus on there now but they are older and heavy. i was thinking trp 920's for the price they are 260 grams and have ti hardware. i am a bike mechanic and have 15 years experience, i was just curious what everyone thought. i am new to this site. justin

toutenhoofd
Shop Owner

by toutenhoofd

jbag011 wrote:so i have a caad9 bb30 with centaur. i want to get new brakes i have chorus on there now but they are older and heavy. i was thinking trp 920's for the price they are 260 grams and have ti hardware. i am a bike mechanic and have 15 years experience, i was just curious what everyone thought. i am new to this site. justin

I have a set of black TRP 920s, with titanium hardware, on my Cervelo S3 and I love them. I wouldn't say they have quite as much power as my 7900 calipers, but it's pretty close. I think the combination of price, functionality, weight and aesthetics of the TRP 920s can't be beat.

I'd also consider the newly redesigned KCNC brakes. We got some, and they look sturdier and stiffer than the previous model, but I haven't had the time to ride them yet.
www.cyclingtechnology.com
(NOTE: This poster owns a retail business selling weight conscious bike related products.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I am in the process of looking for new brakes and getting away from the KCNC CB1's which will go on a different build where I am not too worried about the brakes. I currently ride them and they are fine but not awesome like my old Dura-Ace brakes were. Having said that, it is WW and I am moving to the EE brakes in the very near future. They are sub 200g have great braking power from what I have been told and I think look great and will look great on my SLC. Pricey but I think a good option to look at.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

sethjkay
Shop Owner

by sethjkay

THM-Carbones fibula brakeset are the absolute best money can buy but are very, very pricey. I like the m5 ligfietsen side pull brakes - super light but not even half as expensive as the fibulas. Having said this I'm not sure of your budget so both of these may be too expensive but are worth looking at just the appreciate the engineering that has gone in to them.

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

I love my EE brakes.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

kregg

by kregg

I got a pair of Cane Creek SL 200's on the cheap if you are on a budget, I love them for the weight & price. Older technology, but I dropped +100g compared to my stockers....
Tarmac SL3 S-Works 13.75lbs 6.24kg
Jamis Xenith Pro 16.1lbs 7.31kg

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

[quote="sethjkay"]THM-Carbones fibula brakeset are the absolute best money can buy but are very, very pricey.quote]
Sethjkay - do yopu have any experience with the Fibulas? - I am looking for some performance and use feedback from anyone who has ridden with them.(Pkor we know you are out there!)
In relation to the OP - I have a got a set of TRP 920's - nice solid brakeset - agree that in terms of value for money they are great performers that put many other brakes to shame - with the right pads they work really well. I think they are less than 30g heavier than TRP's latest offering which costs 4 times as much.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Ypsylon wrote:I love my EE brakes.

one set of EE brakes = full centaur groupo.

incongruous perhaps?

SL58

by SL58

I am happy with Token Accura (same as KCNC) - 200g for around $200,
all Ti harware, working fine for more than 2 years, 1/2 the price
and pain of Zero Grav. and Shimano pad compatable.

jbag011

by jbag011

the ee brakes are a bit expensive, i just bought sisl cranks and had a new daughter 5 weeks ago, i think my wife would kill me for getting the ee's. the hive's new brakes are pretty cool looking though.

so sounds like there is not reall any negative feedback on the 920's so looks like i have a winner, thanks.

JensW

by JensW

got theese http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/BCP ... e-calipers and like them alot, a realy good price for what you get to :D

range
Shop Owner

by range

I haven't used them personally, I used TRP 960SLs, but the Circus Monkey feather brakes are pretty cheap and they work well, from what I've read.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

buikpijn

by buikpijn

Toutenhoofd; these new KCNC brakes you mentioned, are these the C8 or the CB1? the CB1 seems to be an older brake? or is this one updated?

nicrump

by nicrump

i like my EEs

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gsgrossart

by gsgrossart

The eebrakes are definitely not cheap. But, they work really well (and are really light).