SRAM red2012 casette computability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sweatred

by Sweatred

Hi, I am passionate and new to bike modifications and I am looking for some direction.

I am riding SRAM red 2012 with a PG1070 rear cassette paired with 53/39 and a 12/26. I would like to setup a new rear cassette with 11 cogs for the flats and I understand they come as 11-23,11-25, and 11-26. My preference appears to be the 11-23 which includes the 16 cog but I am open to the others, especially if they are more compatible with chain/cage length and would allow for a more direct transfer (change of wheels etc, chain etc).

I am open to installing it on a new wheel set or swapping it out once in a while. If anyone can give me information on the degree of compatibility (ease of transfer) I would appreciate it. I have changed a cassette before but beyond that my knowledge is limited.

If anyone can provide me with any options I would appreciate it. I would also appreciate some input on the impact of changing the cassette and or chain etc may have on the front crank or other parts of the bike. Thanks !

sungod

by sungod

as long as the chain isn't too worn, you can take off the 12-26 and use a 11-23 instead

but personally i'd fit a new chain at the same time, and fit both old and new chains with kmc missing links for easy swapping in future and for easy removal for cleaning

you may need to adjust the rear mech b-screw a bit for best shifting

changes will not affect the front etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com