Boonen/Fulcrum R1/Roubaix??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HXTi

by HXTi

I just read on cyclingnews that boonen actually rode the fulcrum racing 1's for flanders and roubaix? Is this correct? I wasn't able to see those races. If this is true then it would say alot about the durability of this wheelset.

I don't think they even ride ksyriums in these races and fulcrums only have 16 spokes upfront as opposed to ksyriums 18. Hmmm Thoughts on these wheels? Anybody actually riding them and could give a review vs ksyriums? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Can't comment on them, but I can say this, $1099, and 1517g. :roll:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I just read on cyclingnews that boonen actually rode the fulcrum racing 1's for flanders and roubaix? Is this correct?

Rumour has it that.....Errrrrr...Yes.

I don't think they even ride ksyriums in these races and fulcrums only have 16 spokes upfront as opposed to ksyriums 18.

Hmmm....A properly spoked and tensioned 16 spoke (even 14) wheel can be shown to be stronger than most run off the mill 18 spoke wheels.

Anybody actually riding them and could give a review vs ksyriums? Thanks.

I can't comment much on the Fulcrums other than that it looks like an old (classic) idea recycled into a new product. (Need to check this but their sales pitch reminded me of that.)

For my, admittedly non-professional use, Ksyrium SCs would be more than good enough.
It would come as a surprise to learn no one had actually used them during the latest P-R race.....

I even do most of my riding on good old (CX-Ray respoked) Gipiemme Tecno 24s which I'm sure have seen many times more cobblestones than any wheel used in the Paris-Roubaix race ever will in it's lifespan. :wink:

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

cadence90

by cadence90

Given that they are a Campagnolo-designed wheel I wouldn't question their quality or durability too much....
As far as 1517g is concerned, that's pretty d%$n good for a wheel that can handle Roubaix, etc.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

weiwentg

by weiwentg

well, it's likely that someone was lying. I checked the pics on cyclingnews. it can be hard to tell, as they are small pictures and the angles aren't always good. however, in this side-on shot at the Ronde, Boonen is definitely on standard wheels and not Fulcrums: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/ ... -BOONEN133

in this pic at PR, it looks like his front wheel has a standard Record hub: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/ ... raceday/16
ditto this one: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/ ... =raceday/2

FWIW, in PR, Bäckstedt was riding Campy Neutrons, at least in front: http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/ ... eday/FS015

divve

by divve

Superlite wrote:Can't comment on them, but I can say this, $1099, and 1517g. :roll:

In real money they're only €670 Euro :lol:

He might have started the races on those wheels. So, technically I suppose he rode them there. In reality however, he was on good ole handbuilts.

Flanders:

Roubaix:

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Photos in the magazine ive got at home don't show the wheels very clearly. Have got a red rectangle sticker with white writing but definitely not standard fulcrum. Remember when they say that he used them it doen't mean he used them for the whole thing, one wheel change is all it takes for that claim.

EDIT: sorry about the timing, just repeated what you were saying at the same time.

divve

by divve

Same thing happened to me. weiwentg above posted while I was still typing my reply.

HXTi

by HXTi

That's what I thought. Those pics clearly show a different wheelset than fulcrums. I think that is really low class advertising if you start out with a wheel and then immediately change them. I am starting to think he never even started with them on.

Over a grand for that weight......you're right. It puts it into perspective.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

The wheels were heavier in the latest TOUR test, even heavier than Ksyrium SLs (which were 112 g heavier than claimed...). IIRC the Fulcrums were 100 g heavier than claimed. Damn these bastards. :evil:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I think that is really low class advertising if you start out with a wheel and then immediately change them.

Happens all the time.....
Worse still, often they put stickers on wheels leading the unexpecting public to believe that they're product X when in reality they're absolutely not.

Damn these bastards

Eh, eh.....

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Knut

by Knut

Never trust advertised weights, my K SL's were 124 grams over advertised weight. :evil:

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

By the way:
high profile / low spoke count wheels are actually more vertically comliant than low profile / 36 spoke wheels :lol:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/grignon.htm

So that's another myth busted :twisted:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

asphaltdude wrote:By the way:
high profile / low spoke count wheels are actually more vertically comliant than low profile / 36 spoke wheels :lol:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/wheel/grignon.htm

So that's another myth busted :twisted:

Yeah cool. You can tell that to my rattling teeth when I run through potholes in the pack with my Cosmic SLs when on the other hand I'm floating on air with my Heliums/Reflexes. I read it on the internet, it must be true.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ajh

by ajh

You can trust some companies. My Rolf Elan Aero's were only 20 grams heavier and this was with the rim tape so the weight was basically dead on. Shimano is like this as well.