mavic Reflex

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

what wil a mavic reflex set whit ultegra hubs an normal spokes 36 i think weigh and what are youre experiences whit those wheels? better then a ksyrium SL of bontrager X lite? Ride they smooth? and what wil the cost be?
Trek OCLV

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

and i heard there is coming a new tubular rim from mavic? i dont know or its true. But when wil it be on the market and how much more will it cost than the reflex? and any suggetions to the question above? other brand which have also tubular rims for the same price/weigh/quality?
Trek OCLV

secularist

by secularist

I have a set of 32 spoke Reflex rims and Record hubs laced with 14/15/14 DT spokes...I've never had them on a scale, but I've always loved the way they rode. even using super cheapo training tubulars the ride was still super smooth. my only issue was that I had two rear rims start to have fatigue cracks around the spoke holes...oh well, I've never been a light guy (6'5"...195 back when I was racing).

I want to find some old Mavic CXP30 tubulars...the super deep V's...rare indeed, nowdays.
I miss my IndyFab Crown Jewel...

tommy

by tommy

i used to own a set of reflex's. Nothing but trouble!!! it always broke where the nipple goes it the rim. and there wasn't that much tension!
Now i'm riding Ambrosio crono f20 rims with DA7800 hubs and silver cx-rays. Best wheels i ever had!!!

I also have the ambrosio f20 with American classics and titanium spokes, but i don't like them that much.

If i where you i would also go for a dura ace hub. Its a little more expencive but they are way better!!! and much lighter :waving:

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Trek OCLV wrote:and i heard there is coming a new tubular rim from mavic? i dont know or its true. But when wil it be on the market and how much more will it cost than the reflex?

I talked with Mavic just yesterday, they tell me they have no new tubular rims planned. The reflex will continue to be the tubular rim from them.

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

tommy wrote:i used to own a set of reflex's. Nothing but trouble!!! it always broke where the nipple goes it the rim. and there wasn't that much tension!
Now i'm riding Ambrosio crono f20 rims with DA7800 hubs and silver cx-rays. Best wheels i ever had!!!

I also have the ambrosio f20 with American classics and titanium spokes, but i don't like them that much.

If i where you i would also go for a dura ace hub. Its a little more expencive but they are way better!!! and much lighter :waving:

what will the cost be for that setup? 300-400 euro's?
Trek OCLV

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

Trek OCLV wrote:
tommy wrote:i used to own a set of reflex's. Nothing but trouble!!! it always broke where the nipple goes it the rim. and there wasn't that much tension!

what will the cost be for that setup? 300-400 euro's? and what's the weight of the set? i cant find any pricelist of ambrosio for The Netherlands. someone know's where i can find them?
Trek OCLV

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

i cant find any pricelist of ambrosio for The Netherlands. someone know's where i can find them?

If either the UK or Belgian-French border is OK with you I can provide the links.
Just let me know.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

i cant find any pricelist of ambrosio for The Netherlands. someone know's where i can find them?

If either the UK or Belgian-French border is OK with you I can provide the links.
Just let me know.

Ciao, :wink:

that's also nice.. i live just out of belgium so that would be nice
Trek OCLV

tommy

by tommy

Trek OCLV wrote:
what will the cost be for that setup? 300-400 euro's? and what's the weight of the set? i cant find any pricelist of ambrosio for The Netherlands. someone know's where i can find them?

the DA hubs are about 250euro and the rims are 45euro/rim
The price of the set depends ofcourse on witch spokes u use, if u use race spokes it will be much cheaper then when u use cx rays. And if u use alu nipple's or steel...

There are a few online shops where you can buy the rims
I bought them at my local LBS in the nederlands (salden)

Don't know the weight...i know that the rims are claimed 340gr but probably it will be about 355-360gr.

What i do know is that the wheels will be much sweeter than any ksyrium or x-lite....:twisted: :twisted:

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

tommy wrote:
Trek OCLV wrote:

the DA hubs are about 250euro and the rims are 45euro/rim
The price of the set depends ofcourse on witch spokes u use, if u use race spokes it will be much cheaper then when u use cx rays. And if u use alu nipple's or steel...

There are a few online shops where you can buy the rims
I bought them at my local LBS in the nederlands (salden)

Don't know the weight...i know that the rims are claimed 340gr but probably it will be about 355-360gr.

What i do know is that the wheels will be much sweeter than any ksyrium or x-lite....:twisted: :twisted:

do you mean that they are sweeter by the smoothnes of the ride or by the looks? wil they really ride smoother?
Trek OCLV

drjones96

by drjones96

I've heard of spokes also breaking when there wasn't enough tension.

tommy wrote:Now i'm riding Ambrosio crono f20 rims with DA7800 hubs and silver cx-rays. Best wheels i ever had!!!

I've heard bad things about both AC rear hubs and titanium spokes so I can see why you like the CX-RAY/DA7800 set better. Do you know how much your rims weighed? They advertise 340g for them but I've heard they are closer to 360g now.

tommy wrote:If i where you i would also go for a dura ace hub. Its a little more expencive but they are way better!!! and much lighter :waving:

If money isn't an option how about TUNE MIG70/MAG 160 or 190?

Trek OCLV

by Trek OCLV

yeah but you know.. i'm a poor student of 15 years old and i try to save this set together with riding races and earning premies. and i wont be able to buy such expensive stuff yust of riding races ;) so i think Dura-ace is good enough for me..
Trek OCLV

tommy

by tommy

@ dr jones: The spokes didn't break, it was the rim!!

@trek oclv: Yes the wheels are just plain better! I own a set of ksyriums and i use them for training. The DA/Ambrosio setup is much faster, lighter and the hubs are sooooo good!!!!

I would get the DA7800 even if money wasn't an option! No tune hubs for me! The DA are as good or maybe even better then my ceramic bearings in my cosmic carbonne's

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drjones96

by drjones96

Wow...the rim broke.

Why do you like DA7800's better than TUNE? (money aside)