American Classic CR420 or Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Well, I found some AC 420 rims on ebay recently, although they were both 24 hole'd ones. If you look hard enough, you'll see them for sale once in a while. I think you can get them in europe, but they're like 90 euros or something.

If you're interested and I can't find spokes and a builder soon, I'll let you know and sell you my rims.

bc909

by bc909

what about AC 420 rims 18f/24r with micro front hub and Tune MAG200 rear hub with CX-Rays?

I don’t build with AC hubs anymore. I have only built 4 sets of wheels with Tune hubs, and they appear to be very solid and very light, but I have a longer history with White hubs (though they are heavier). CX-Rays are a very good spoke.

where can you get the 420 rims?
As far as I know you have to order them from Germany. Only done this once. The rest of my 420 builds (actually rebuilds) are the result of hub problems, so I had the rims to begin with.

what rims do the Rolf Vigor use?
Basically the 420’s but drilled for the paired spokes and internal nipples.

isn't the Vigor better than a Ksyrium in every way?
Pairing the spokes is a little hokey because if you break a spoke the wheel goes wildly out of true. Surprisingly it doesn’t affect stiffness one way or another. But I think the component parts are of higher quality, and the design I think is better. Remember though many bike races have been won on K’s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

divve

by divve

Personally, I'd take the K-SL over Vigor. I don't like the very thin aluminum walled AC type of rims. Their aero advantage is also questionable. I'm of the opinion that you either go full aero or don't even bother with it. Besides, it only actually matters in a TT anyway. Outside of that, go with what you think feels best under your bike.

Speed Racer

by Speed Racer

Yeah, the Rolfs use Am Classic rims for sure.

drjones96

by drjones96

Speed Racer wrote:Yeah, the Rolfs use Am Classic rims for sure.

They're actually a little different. Same basic profile but the Rolfs are slightly beefier to compensate for the paired spokes. Also have internal spoke nipples vs the AC's that have external.

(I have Rolf Vigor's)

eurorider

by eurorider

@bc: thanks for answering my questions

Bruiser

by Bruiser

The flange on my 420 Micro hub broke while racing yesterday.

The spoke pulled a 1cm section of flange away from the hub, which given how weak the Aust spokes are is a little concerning.

Other countries use different spokes and the wheels are stiffer as a result.

I'll try for a warrenty claim. :?