Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:35 am
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:02 am 

Some 'armchair' experts may say that a post-puncture, replacement tub is not really safe to ride and you have to go home avoiding any bends.

Hopefully this video puts that myth to rest;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvPm9-uJkWQ

I'm not advocating starting a race, or descending an Alpine col like this, but it's plenty safe enough to get you home without having to worry.

Cycling related videos and reviews

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 am 

Interesting - thanks for that cyclespeed

My own experience is that a tub at c100psi, not properly glued, but at least with residual glue, will not come off unless you corner hard.

People overthink it because tubs and glueing is for many weird and scary, full of tales of woe featuring rolled tubs on 100km/h descents ... in reality the dangers from traffic are an order or magnitude greater than the risk of rolling an unglued tub while riding cautiously ...

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:04 pm 

I flatted a tub at a crit a few years back. Couple of guys watched me change the tyre and asked how happy I was that it was safe to ride so I handed it over and asked them to pull it off the rim. Neither of them could even get the edge to lift.

I wouldn't race or push hard through corners on one but don't worry about normal riding anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:36 pm 

racingcondor wrote:
I flatted a tub at a crit a few years back. Couple of guys watched me change the tyre and asked how happy I was that it was safe to ride so I handed it over and asked them to pull it off the rim. Neither of them could even get the edge to lift.

I wouldn't race or push hard through corners on one but don't worry about normal riding anymore.

Yeah, I think most people don't understand that the pressure in the tyre holds it in place; it doesn't just 'sit' on the rim. The glue is the final step in the process to ensure 100% safety.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:51 pm 

I've done a few long rides on replacement tubs; I don't think any of us corner hard enough to risk rolling a road tub with residual glue or old tape. Whack it on, gas bang it and forget about it. Gas will give you about 130psi in a 23c; that won't go anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:49 pm 

If the glue softens from braking the tire can roll in the tire bed and pop off quite easily.

But even more, the issue is that if you flat again, you don't have the solid glue bond to keep the tire on the rim. Nobody disputes that a fully inflated and semi-glued tire will stick pretty well. It's what happens when something goes wrong that matters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:01 am 
in the industry

a carry over from that BR thread.

If I flat a tub twice in a ride I resort to pitstop if that does not work I'll call a cab or ride slowly on the flat tub.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:12 am 

My first line of defense is a squirt (about 15ml or so) of Orange Seal if I flat on the road. That usually takes care of it. I carry a spare tubular for when all else fails as it's a lot more of a pain in the ass to remove and replace a tubular on the road than put some sealant in. The tubular I carry as a spare is preglued... don't know why you would ever not preglue a spare for taking with you. Just makes sense.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:23 am 

sawyer wrote:
will not come off unless you corner hard.
you don't actually have to corner hard. A long steady corner is just as bad. If not worse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:17 am 

mattr wrote:
sawyer wrote:
will not come off unless you corner hard.
you don't actually have to corner hard. A long steady corner is just as bad. If not worse.

Well, I would never ride with other people with an unglued tub, but I guess over the years I would have done well over 1000km on unglued tubs and have never rolled one

With decent pressure and careful riding it is safe. Perhaps the long steady corner you refer to just needs to be taken more slowly. Unglued tub is get me home mode /limp mode ... not set off for a ride mode

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:34 pm 

11.4 wrote:
If the glue softens from braking the tire can roll in the tire bed and pop off quite easily.

But even more, the issue is that if you flat again, you don't have the solid glue bond to keep the tire on the rim. Nobody disputes that a fully inflated and semi-glued tire will stick pretty well. It's what happens when something goes wrong that matters.

Did you watch the video? With essentially no glue, I could make no impression on that tub, in terms of getting it to move off the rim. And I am applying force from the side, i.e. 90', whereas cornering forces are more like 30'. And I have quite strong thumbs/forearms, as I spend most of my time not cycling, chainsawing.

I would say that the biggest danger in having a tub roll off the rim is low pressure, not so much poor or soft glue. It may be that some of the video examples out there of tubs rolling off are a combination of a) long, hot braking and b) lower pressure due to some kind of puncture.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:35 pm 

Calnago wrote:
The tubular I carry as a spare is preglued... don't know why you would ever not preglue a spare for taking with you. Just makes sense.

Me too, of course.

In the video, the tub was un-glued so as to better demonstrate the gripping power of the tyre pressure alone.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:53 pm 
Shop Owner

Did you ever consider that the tire will rotate on the rim because it does, in short order. Rolling a tire off the rim is part of the issue. The leverage of accelerating and braking will rotate the tire on the rim and shear the stem right off. I do not think any sealer will get you home then.

Do not ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:09 pm 

Butcher wrote:
Did you ever consider that the tire will rotate on the rim because it does, in short order. Rolling a tire off the rim is part of the issue. The leverage of accelerating and braking will rotate the tire on the rim and shear the stem right off. I do not think any sealer will get you home then.

Do not ask me how I know.

Myself and plenty of others here have ridden home absolutely fine on spare tubs so don't really think this is a common problem.

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:09 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:29 pm 

@cyclespeed: Regardless of what you show in your video, all tire and rim combinations are not the same, nor are the riding conditions that might be encountered after a puncture. I think you should have stressed in the video that using an unglued tubular is NEVER advised. Basically the video is kind of irresponsible in my opinion. It doesn't take an "armchair expert" to figure this out, it's common sense. Can it be done?... sure, a lot of things can... but you should have stressed the use of extreme caution if you're forced to do so... or better yet, just never have made the video. So now there could be some new tubular user running around saying "No, I don't preglue my spares, that's a myth that you need to... I saw it in a video online". And whatever your intent may or may not have been, that's the message that some will undoubtedly take away.

Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR