Straight-pull spokes : Where to get ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Hi guys, would anyone be able to advice on where to get straight-pull or what Wheelsmith terms as 'Direct-pull' spokes ??

Preferably butted and if possible and better still slightly bladed. There are replacement kits for the Zipp wheels which can be bought, but they cost a bomb so I'm leaving them only as a last option....

Thanks.

53-11

by 53-11

maxxevv wrote:Hi guys, would anyone be able to advice on where to get straight-pull or what Wheelsmith terms as 'Direct-pull' spokes ??

Preferably butted and if possible and better still slightly bladed. There are replacement kits for the Zipp wheels which can be bought, but they cost a bomb so I'm leaving them only as a last option....

Thanks.

http://www.thorusa.com/product10.htm

They have them in either straight pull or j-bend.

Another question,

I've seen Ambrosio hubs available in straight pull fairly inexpensively. Can you use these straight pull spokes and hubs with normal replacement rims (velocity aerohead,etc)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

53-11 wrote:
http://www.thorusa.com/product10.htm

They have them in either straight pull or j-bend.

Another question,

I've seen Ambrosio hubs available in straight pull fairly inexpensively. Can you use these straight pull spokes and hubs with normal replacement rims (velocity aerohead,etc)

Thanks man ! Much appreciated.

It depends on the hole drillings done and whether the nipple holes can accomodate the angles required for lacing. Essentionally they are a non-issue if there isn't any interference. I've seen samples of different hubs being laced up with the same model of rims ! ( Taiwanese complete wheelsets )

Potential problem area would be deep-section carbon rims with hidden nipples. These usually have spoke pattern specific drillings, and very tight clearances, so they may be a problem there ...

XTC-Max

by XTC-Max

AFAIK sapim produces straight pull spokes as well. their HP is sth. like sapim.be methinks

maxxevv

by maxxevv

XTC-Max wrote:AFAIK sapim produces straight pull spokes as well. their HP is sth. like sapim.be methinks

Yes, they do. But the problem is that they only entertain 'wholesale' orders. I've talked to them asking about it, its 1000pcs per given length !

It really was like 'Huh ??? !!! ' :shock: :shock: :shock:

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

It really was like 'Huh ??? !!! '

Why?
Is it so hard to understand they try to protect their own distribution network?

Should your country not be included in their list of agents then I'd suggest you go for the Belgian one and talk to them or find a LBS of your liking that's willing to place an order for you.

If I can be of any assistance, just let me know. 8)

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

It really was like 'Huh ??? !!! '

Why?
Is it so hard to understand they try to protect their own distribution network?

Should your country not be included in their list of agents then I'd suggest you go for the Belgian one and talk to them or find a LBS of your liking that's willing to place an order for you.

If I can be of any assistance, just let me know. 8)

Ciao, :wink:

Oh, don't get me wrong on that. I fully understand such things its just the exasperation of getting another door slam after scouring the Net for it...

Nope, locally such spokes are not in demand, hence its not available.

Which was why I've been looking at possible solutions out there ....

Thanks for the offer. Will get back to you if I can't get it in loose quantities over the web. ;)

Cyco

by Cyco

Maxxevv, what part of the world are you in, and exactly what lengths do you need?
Success is how far you you bounce back up after being knocked down

TimT

by TimT

Phil Wood has strait pull but they are not butted. DT also has them butted but you have to buy a box of 100. I may still have some DT's left from the last time I got some. Let me know what you need and I'll see what I got.

Tim
PS I'm in New Orleans were you at

53-11

by 53-11

Does anybody make a straight pull set of hubs that doesn't require a boutique wheel rim.

The only thing I've seen is a 28 Hole Ambrosio Zenith straight pull hubset $190 and isn't exactly light (rear is 340 grams)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

53-11 wrote:Does anybody make a straight pull set of hubs that doesn't require a boutique wheel rim.

The only thing I've seen is a 28 Hole Ambrosio Zenith straight pull hubset $190 and isn't exactly light (rear is 340 grams)

You'll be surprised at the wonders of the Taiwanese bike industry.

24 spoke rear hub 265g. 20 spoke front hub 102g.

And thanks guys for your offers. Will get back to you guys in a few days as I'll be travelling in a few hours on business.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53-11

by 53-11

maxxevv wrote:
53-11 wrote:Does anybody make a straight pull set of hubs that doesn't require a boutique wheel rim.

You'll be surprised at the wonders of the Taiwanese bike industry.

24 spoke rear hub 265g. 20 spoke front hub 102g.

And thanks guys for your offers. Will get back to you guys in a few days as I'll be travelling in a few hours on business.

Where can I get those? Those weights sound good enough for me. :)