Tufo Tubular Tape Removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cathulu

by cathulu

Any recommendations on removing the tufo tape residue from carbon tubular rims? I am using acetone but it is barely making a difference - it will be a lot of elbow grease to get it off.

Is Isopropyl alcohol a better choice? I am worried about going to another solvent (Toluene or Xylene) as that may damage my rims.

I want to use Vittoria Mastic 1 and I don't want any contamination or glue compatibility issues with the tufo residue.

ms6073

by ms6073

Although I have not tried it on carbon tubulars wheels, I have found that a product labeled Goo Gone (in the US available at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware), worked to remove old caulk in the shower whereas acetone did not!

Just curious, I have Tufo tubulars mounted with Tufo tubular tape on my AmClass carbon wheels and with all the recent discussion over the Tufo's rolling resistance, I have decided to replace them the Veloflex tubulars. I opted for the tape when I installed the Tufo's and have yet to experience removing them so when you removed your tires, did most of the glue tape come off with the tire, or is the strip pretty much intact on the wheel requiring a good amount of work to remove?

Thanks,
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

Is Isopropyl alcohol a better choice?

It works great, I removed mine this way, came off very easy.

cathulu

by cathulu

I pulled the front tubular off and the tape was stuck to the rim, but it came off easy. The residue on the rim is tough to get off but I will try the alcohol.

Still have to do the rear...