Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:02 pm 

ahumblecycler wrote:
Sorry for the delay and the bad picture.

Before - Cane Creek 25mm cone spacer with PRO Vibe 110mm -10 degree stem and stack of spacers on top
After - Cane Creek I-3 short stack with 5mm spacer below 3T ARX-Team 110mm -6 degree stem and 5mm spacer on top

Total weight savings = 21 grams
Total cost = $18

Verdict - improved comfort for my healing wrist, increased descending confidence, and solid out of saddle ascending performance

wow it looks great actually. thank you so much. your verdict meets all my requirements...

when you say I-3...i couldnt find anything on that, do you have link directing to it? http://www.spadout.com/p/cane-creek-is-3-headset/ is this the one you are referring to? but the link says 36x45.. i read that caad9s need 45x45....ONLY IF you change out the entire headset correct? if all i need is that cap so my stem can just sit right above it, can this be done safely - meaning nothing will crack/break in future because of the different sizing angles?

is this an ideal "upgrade"?

Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:02 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:25 am 

@cure - if the CAAD9 needs a 45/45, then the top portion must conform to the 45 requirement. I suggest contacting Cane Creek directly. Their customer service, in my experience, has proven to be superb. Explain to the what you are looking for, be sure to include your frame, and they should be able to verify a Cane Creek model that fits. If CC does not have one, they will not hesitate to tell you ... which in my opinion is a sign of true customer service.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:18 pm 

ok so i emailed them, and they replied...this is what they said....

"If the stock fork has an integrated crown race, you will have to use a 45x45 bearing. Otherwise you can get a 40-Series IS-41 with short cover, or the 110-IS short."
what is a "crown race"??
i searched and the measurement was 41.1? i remember reading caad9 was 41.8 = 42mm... so im really confused whether or not this is correct... i did a search and found the following. if this is the correct specs, i will get this one...

Manufacturer: Cane Creek
Mfr Part #: BAA0092K
UPC: 840226095080
Model: Cane Creek 40 Series
Size: Integrated, 42.0mm OD, 45 deg bearing (Hiddenset)
Type: Hiddenset
Style: Internal/Integrated
Color: Black
Steerer Tube: 1-1/8” Threadless
Crown Race: 30.0
Bearing Type: Sealed
Defined Color: Black
----------------------------------------------------------
Cane Creek 40 1 1/8'' Short Integrated 42mm Black:
Cane Creek 40 Series Headsets

* Replaces Cane Creek ZS-3 headset
* ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30 fits 1-1/8'' straight steerer tubes to straight 44mm (1-1/8'') head tubes
* Black oxide, sealed cartridge bearings
* Zero Stack (ZS) assemblies feature press-in cups with bearings inside the frame
* 8mm stack height (short) top cover
* Internally relieved AL-6061 T-6 cups and covers

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm 

@ahumblecycler,,Where did you buy the top part? I been looking for this one,,thanks

ahumblecycler wrote:
@cure - I bought the top part only for $18. The box came with top portion of the HS 10mm (yes, only 10mm is above the frame's head tube), top bearing, and a star nut ... DO NOT use the star nut if you have a carbon steer.

I will post pics later so you can see the end result.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 am 

@cure,,did you find a headset yet? or no luck?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:49 am 

JN2Wheels wrote:
I know the CAAD9's are really popular on here, so I'm sure there have been, or will be others who have needed to lower their stack a bit below that ridiculous stock cone cap.

Thanks for any help or links people can throw down!

-JN

If it already hasn't been suggested yet, here's my thread (I'm looking go go 10mm):
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97939

(2010? Damn)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:38 pm 

There has got to be a way to just buy a new top cap... anyone? do i really have to buy the top of the full headset to get it... dont need new bearings...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 pm 

so what headset did you buy on your caad9? does it fit perfectly like the old top cap?

2ndgen wrote:
JN2Wheels wrote:
I know the CAAD9's are really popular on here, so I'm sure there have been, or will be others who have needed to lower their stack a bit below that ridiculous stock cone cap.

-JN

If it already hasn't been suggested yet, here's my thread (I'm looking go go 10mm):
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=97939

(2010? Damn)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:59 pm 

Why not just cut down the original top cap?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:45 pm 

its like watching a mission impossible bro,,

ricerocket wrote:
Why not just cut down the original top cap?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 pm 

bikerboy337 wrote:
There has got to be a way to just buy a new top cap... anyone? do i really have to buy the top of the full headset to get it... dont need new bearings...

I just picked up a Cane Creek IS41 top assembly for $30. from my LBS.
Online, they are going for between $35-40. I think it's worth it.
That's a maintenance area you won't have to worry about for years.
It's a "might as well" situation, plus you'll have absolute certainty about it's compatibility.

Cane Creek 40.IS41.Short.Top Assembly
http://store.canecreek.com/products/pro ... leshopping

Here's ILC's similar set-up...

I found the hardest issue for me was to find a top cover that would be compatible with my
Cannondale OEM Tange IS24LT headset. Because Cane Creek is the patent holder of the
top cover, it was simple to get a perfectly matching set for the CAAD's headtube.
If you want things to go easy, spend the extra $20. and get the "right" part.
It was frustrating for me to find a top cover I liked only to hear "it won't fit".

In the end, I wanted something that would give me what I wanted in a drop,
but it HAD TO BE reliable and not give me problems or come loose or require constant
adjustment or be incompatible with my bike requiring alterations just to make it happen.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:31 pm 

JN2Wheels wrote:
My brand spankin' new 52cm CAAD9 has a 25mm carbon cone headset cap. This is excessive stack in a stock setup, in my opinion, and both my local dealer and cannondale tech support have given me the run around in trying to find a compatible lower profile option. Cannondale even went so far as to suggest that I shouldn't even try to use a lower stack setup as the geometry would be impacted. (Lars @ Cannondale, this is baloney) This kind of support is mucking up what should have been an exciting experience!

Anyway, 25mm is about 8mm higher than I'd like. My LBS offered a canecreek IS3i top cap (maybe 2i?), but it didn't cover the bearing well enough and there was no rubber lip seal. The CAAD 9 upper headset bearings dont settle in flush with the top of the headtube, so any top cap has to extend down around the bearing a bit further than most aftermarket solutions. I think the canecreek IS comes with a 36x45 bearing which is why it didn't adequately cover the 45x45 bearing that comes stock. I really like the weather protection that the stock cap includes, and find it hard to believe there isn't a lower profile option available from Cannondale.

I did search the site, and found this thread : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65615&hilit=cannondale+CAAD+headset&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It provides a lot of answers, and shows that the headset used in my frame, confirmed by cannondale as the Tange IS24CLT-25, should have some other top-cap arrangements that fit like stock. Specifically the one at this link : http://www.tangeseiki.com/tangeseiki_ne ... 013293.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; , has a 17mm cap option that would be nearly ideal! (Ideal would be a 15mm carbon cone spacer/top-cap, one-piece, as light as possible, with the weather protection of the stock setup.)

Does anyone know how to get a hold of a replacement top-cap such as this one from Tange? Are there any other options worth pursuing?

-JN

OP:
Here's the set-up on my CAAD9 just in case you're interested.

Before:

After:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:03 am 

These are really horrible pictures, but I realize I kind of left this thread hanging.

I did indeed go the campy hiddenset route, and have been very pleased! I've swapped forks a few times, and relubed the bearings... also switching bottom to top to distribute wear. Awesome. Very well sealed and easy to maintain.

Attachment:
Front-End-3sm.jpg
Front-End-3sm.jpg [ 5.47 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

I also picked up a 2nd headset with the short cap, and use that now with a -6 stem instead of the tall chorus cap with a -10 stem. E-bay is your friend, and I recommend the solution. For those with the matte black caad9, the chorus aluminum caps are perfectly matched!

Attachment:
front-end-4sm.jpg
front-end-4sm.jpg [ 4.72 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

Attachment:
front-end-5sm.jpg
front-end-5sm.jpg [ 5.33 KiB | Viewed 1015 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 pm 

What's your headtube diameter?

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:32 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm 

46mm od, measured. Inner is the 41.8 spec of the campy hiddenset.