Zipp 202 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stewski

by Stewski

Anyone know when they will be available, price and weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

Weight is rummored to be around 1050g. Not to much lighter than the 303's

Superlite

by Superlite

Zipp is coming out with 202's?! Where can I get information on this? Whats the rim depth and weight?

Superlite

by Superlite

Just got all the info strait form Zipp. The 202 wheelset is coming out in Febuary and retail for $1550. The higher price from the 303's and 404's is due to a special resin used in the rims. Rims weigh in at 250g, wheelset 1040g. Rim depth is 24.8mm and the hubs are the same as current models with the exception of the use of a flange on the hubs, internals all the same. Hubs will also be available to purchase seperatlt, $150 for front, $295 for rear.

JTC

by JTC

More info, but you beat me to the gun:
From http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ION=091155

After 3 straight years of product innovation, Zipp’s widely loved 303 and 404 wheelsets remain unchanged for 2004. Nevertheless, two significant pieces of news emerged from the Zipp booth. First is the introduction of the 202 wheelset, a shallow cross-section "climbing" wheel built to compete with the Campagnolo Hyperon and the Reynolds Cirro. The 202's weigh in at an impressive 1040g - 80g lighter than the 303's. They have a 24.8mm deep rim, roughly equivalent to the depth of a Mavic Open Pro. The use the same hub internals as the 303 and 404, but use a J-bend spoke instead of straight pull spokes. Second is the fact that all Zipp wheels - including the 909 and the 202 - will be available as Z-Series wheels, meaning they have distinctive gold decals and Silica Nitride ceramic bearings that have less than 1-millionth of an inch total variance within each matched set. As a Zipp engineer once explained to me, Z-Series bearings are so round that it's impossible to measure their out-of-roundness. What does this mean to you? Less friction-induced drag, and more speed for every watt of power you generate.

drew

by drew

Superlite wrote:Just got all the info strait form Zipp. The 202 wheelset is coming out in Febuary and retail for $1550. The higher price from the 303's and 404's is due to a special resin used in the rims. Rims weigh in at 250g, wheelset 1040g. Rim depth is 24.8mm and the hubs are the same as current models with the exception of the use of a flange on the hubs, internals all the same. Hubs will also be available to purchase seperatlt, $150 for front, $295 for rear.

WOW my LBS is to be selling these for a little over $1200 CDN!, I was in the shop with the ZIPP rep, they look pretty sweet. Exact rim height of a Mavic Ksyrium SSC so not too "aero". Apparently Zipp are selling them cheaper in Canada to get customers interested as there are not many CDN dealers presently. But sshhh dont tell U.S dealers that O.K

chinphu

by chinphu

Hello. If you look at the current VeloNews, you'll see news about these new wheels. Appparently, there's also going to be a Zipp 202 Z2, which will weigh 1000g. Anybody know more about this model?

Joel

by Joel

Is there someone who has a pic of them? I wanna see them :lol:

benz76

by benz76

Here are the links...

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id ... _interbike

http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php?id ... _interbike

The rim seems similar to Corima Winium, but much lighter (Corima is around 300 grams). Nice hub, too...

Bye, Benz.

Superlite

by Superlite

They have nothing to do with Corima, Zipp makes there own rims, so does Corima.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Hey Speedlite, he didn't say they were the Winium, he said they were lighter (maybe so as wheels, but as rims?) as a comparison.

I just got weights on 24hx24h Winium rims with Spada hubs, carbon axle on front hub (saves 10g). 983gm complete!
Ride lightly!

Superlite

by Superlite

the rims are lighter by 50g each, 202's weigh in at 250g vs. 300g for winium.

By the way, whats up with everyone getting my name wrong lately! Supertec, Speedlite. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Is this some kind of joke? :wink:

benz76

by benz76

Thank you Ye Olde Balde One... you understand me so much... :lol:

Hey Superlife, read my reply to Corima Winium post... there I wrote about Corima... :wink: Superlite... ok..ok...

Bye, Benz.

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Your welcome Benz :)

I wonder if the 202 will actually weigh 250gm. And if people have problems with the 303 being stiff enough, will this lighter rim with less depth be even worse?

I want a wheelset I can take up the Climb to Kaiser without problems....
Ride lightly!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

I'm confused. What were we talking about? :?: My bad, I got confused, too early for me so I;m still waking up. :lol: