rust inside pedal axle

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prokyon

by prokyon

Hello, I have Shimano Ultegra PD-R8000 pedals and as you can see from the pictures I'm spotting rust inside the pedal body. It seems like it's only surface rust, as I can remove the rust by just poking around it - almost seems like it's some coating which is designed to rust and isolate the pedal axle itself from rusting.

Is this normal or is this the pedal axle itself rusting?
Attachments
IMG_8781.JPG
IMG_8783.JPG
IMG_8784.JPG
IMG_8785.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Dirt?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

mrd

by mrd

copper slip/anti seize ?

GeoffS

by GeoffS

I have the same. At first I suspected it might have been copper anti-sieze grease but it was actually light surface rust. I've put a small dab of regular grease on it (and a few other bolts on my bike that were likewise showing early signs of rust) and it hasn't come back.

prokyon

by prokyon

GeoffS wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:13 pm
I have the same. At first I suspected it might have been copper anti-sieze grease but it was actually light surface rust. I've put a small dab of regular grease on it (and a few other bolts on my bike that were likewise showing early signs of rust) and it hasn't come back.
What grease did you use? Kind of hard to grease the inside of a pedal body... goes deep in there.

AJS914

by AJS914

Spray some WD40 in there and clean it out with a q-tip. That would probably be good enough as WD40 contains a light oil but you could put a dab of grease in there for all weather protection with another q-tip or something similarly long and skinny.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bjarnetv

by bjarnetv

i had the same thing happen to mine - the hole doesnt go inside the pedal itself so any grease will do the job.
they probably just hollowed out the axle for weight savings, so a little surface rust wont harm the pedal, though i am dissapointed they didnt rustproof them properly.
wd40 will dissolve the rust, and some thick grease will keep it from rusting again.