Power meters selection - pros/cons

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

Saris.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

WMW wrote:Curious what your fixes were for bearing and battery life issues?

Bearings were replaced with some Japanese ones, much better.

As for battery, the 'cheap and easy' fix (assuming you have the updated firmware) was more in contrast to what is costs to get a SRM battery replaced. PT is obviously just a quick unscrew of the cap and replacing with batteries that are not all that expensive.

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Stoo wrote:Well that escalted quickly....

Anyhow, As I am not a pro, or don't intend on competing at any high level, I have gone for the Power2Max

Rotor 3D with 130BCD 53/39 O-Rings.
Went 3D over 3D+ so that I can swap between bikes when/if I need to...

Meter, crank, rings, bolts, tool.... £950ish delivered.

Thanks guys.

Just to correct, 3D+ is NOT BB30. It can be used on BB30, that's right. But the spindle has the length of a 24mm Shimano crank, so it can be used on BSA or BB86 frames. You would just need the right bearings.

Stoo

by Stoo

It has a 30mm spindle rather than 24mm is what I meant.

Yeah it can be used in BB86 with adapters but I'd rather the ease if interchangeability between one bike and another that has ultegra cranks.
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Mario, how did you establish the power 'over reading' that the P2M was giving? Not that I don't believe you, just curious on your process.

That would be a little concerning if I were an owner.

airwise

by airwise

As a Campag user, it really would be nice for there to be a discrete alternative to a chunky Powertap or phenomenally expensive Record SRM.

As for Powertap, I've been generally happy over the past few years. Bearing are rough and need replacing quite often and the torque tube does need adjusting if you do decent mileage. But the product gives reliable data, more than could be said for some of the alternatives that I tried.

My SRM is a delight - sadly pricing puts it out of the ballpark for many (including me) unless picked up used. Very few used Campag cranks.....

CAFERACER

by CAFERACER

On campy you could always run the cannondale SRM with praxis or cannondale rings. Otherwise yeah, its expensive campy SRM time.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

10sp SRM cranks are fine on 11sp Campag.

Used SRAM and Shimano without an issue.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

airwise wrote:As a Campag user, it really would be nice for there to be a discrete alternative to a chunky Powertap or phenomenally expensive Record SRM.

I'm not following, so excuse me if it's just my morning's coffee not yet kicking in, but:

I run Campy. I've got a Rotor 3D crank installed with Quarq and Q-rings. Runs flawlessly. Based on this, I don't see anything wrong with running Rotor's PM with Q-rings for my next build, which is nice as that one I can get in compact and run either 52-36 or 53-38 Q-rings on it. Can of course go with a selection of round rings if Q isn't your thing. Based on that, I wouldn't anticipate any issues running Power2Max with Campy either, as you could put it on Rotor 3D or 3D+, or a number of other options. Granted, you aren't running a Campy crank, but it works perfectly fine.

airwise

by airwise

I ran a Rotor Quarq for a while. Horrible problems in the mountains - unreliable data. It didn't last. It also looks like something out of a cheap Disney scifi film of the eighties (to my eyes sorry).

Can't run my SRM Hollowgram either as I now have a standard BB.

Geoff

by Geoff

The Csmpagnolo SRM is a thing of beauty. It is expensive, but worth it.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

airwise wrote:I ran a Rotor Quarq for a while. Horrible problems in the mountains - unreliable data. It didn't last. It also looks like something out of a cheap Disney scifi film of the eighties (to my eyes sorry).

Really? Mine's been solid. And what's wrong with cheap Disney-style 80's sci-fi? It was awesome! :mrgreen: No worries though. I'm not really seeing it, although it may be because mine's on Rotor TT Q rings and a 3D crank. The Quarq unit just blends in on my setup, but ymmv for sure.

Try the Rotor PM. Cleaner lines, good weight and reads power on both sides. At least, it's another alternative, as is the Power2Max, if you don;t like Quarq. I'll be able to report on the Rotor PM and my experiences with it in the mountains in the fall (I hope), as well as having power comparison data between it and the Quarq.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

airwise, did you miss my post?

claus

by claus

For me the problem with a non-Campagnolo SRM is the Q-factor. I looked through all of them on the SRM site and found only cranks that are wider than Campagnolo.

rchung

by rchung

petepeterson wrote:Keep in mind this is an internet forum and all of these posts are individual opinions and people recommend what they know/like/have. With that in mind I really have to question why people recommend hub based power these days?

In my case, there are two reasons: 1) In order to get the right aero position, my TT bike uses a different crank length than my road bike, so it's easier and cheaper to swap the PT hub than to have two different crank-based power meters; and 2) if you do CdA or Crr testing then a PT is "closer" to the physics (that is, you don't have to worry about drive train losses or distortions from non-round rings).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com