Thoughts on the Deda 215 shallow drop bar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Hi,

right now i'm using an ITM mantis 44cm bar. I'm giving some thought to getting some bars with a shallower drop, so that I can ride in the drops more comfortably without having to bend over as much. Is this a reasonable solution? What other bars should I consider?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

215 is one of the best non carbon bars (only time I wouldn't go for is is for competition use).
Try to get an earlier one, I have one weighing a real 218 gramms ( 46 o/o), the new ones are at least 240 gramms.
In combination with the F99 it's one of the best sets you can buy (at least no 1 in comfort)

wooly

by wooly

The Ritchey bar is almost the identical shape as the Deda. I have the Deda Newton shallow drop and like it alot. I went from an anatomical shape to this and it took some getting used to. Now I don't think I'd go back.

Another option is the Modolo Carbon Curvissima bar. Its a nice bar but I think I prefer the deda.

dlight

by dlight

I've use a 215 in 42s and the weight came in closer to 240. I light the shape but the reach is much more than my old bars which was a bontragger. I notice significantly more flex, so i'm not really comfortable with it. I agree with the earlier posting, I would not use it in competition anymore. I am switching to the easton carbons with ritchey stem.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

2nd Ritchey Classic... virtually the same as the Deda, and I believe, marginally lighter.

I ride the classic on 3 out of 5 scoots.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

The ritchey should be lighter than an ITM Mantis right? There's no listed weight for the mantis...

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

brianwchan wrote:The ritchey should be lighter than an ITM Mantis right? There's no listed weight for the mantis...

Mantis, 44cm center to center, 291 grams.
Ritchey Pro Biomax, 44 center to center, 239 grams. Not the lightest ritchey bar, but for me it has the best shape. Swept tops, short reach, shallow drop and 2cm flared ends.

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Thanks madcow!

MGS9500

by MGS9500

I was looking for a bar with a short drop and reach as I wanted to spend more time in the drops.

I liked the Ritchey and had good success with the Modolo Curvissimo

My favorite is the 3TTT biomorphe. It has multiple hand positions, light weight and has one of the shortest drops and reach positions I have ever seen. It is the only bar I have ever had where I can comfortably reach the brake and shifter while in the drops.

I have relatively small hands and this bar is great. There are multiple reviews on it around the net. I got mine through E-bay.
Attachments
biomorphe_2.gif
biomorphe_xl.jpg

wooly

by wooly

But damn it's expensive!

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

But damn it's expensive!

Cheap it ain't but you can do worse both pricewise and qualitywise....

A good alternative would be DEDA's Newton 31 (OS) handlebar which is made of Alu alloy and is also available in Italian style drop.

Weight is about 206g according to Deda, retail price 90 to 110 Euro.

Cheers, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Joel

by Joel

Rich_W wrote:2nd Ritchey Classic... virtually the same as the Deda, and I believe, marginally lighter.

I ride the classic on 3 out of 5 scoots.

Deda shallow is less deep as Ritchey Classic, I had a deda 215 and now I have Ritchey WCS Classic

mises

by mises

MGS9500 wrote:I was looking for a bar with a short drop and reach as I wanted to spend more time in the drops.

I liked the Ritchey and had good success with the Modolo Curvissimo

My favorite is the 3TTT biomorphe. It has multiple hand positions, light weight and has one of the shortest drops and reach positions I have ever seen. It is the only bar I have ever had where I can comfortably reach the brake and shifter while in the drops.

I have relatively small hands and this bar is great. There are multiple reviews on it around the net. I got mine through E-bay.

In the pics it looks like Campi hoods can't be moved very high up the bars and the flat part of the hoods is tilted down - not even level. Is that true? I almost got some but that spooked me.

Joel

by Joel

No problem with Deda or Ritchey the hoods can be placed level and even a bit more

brianwchan

by brianwchan

I was spooked too. On petacchi's bike, he has the hoods pointing up doesn't he?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com