Leader's Jersey

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

singlefeldspar

by singlefeldspar

I know this is not really a WW question - though I can justify it by saying that the guys who have the leader's jerseys from the big tours certainly are weightweenies (to the extent they are permitted to be). Anyway . . .

How does it work with the winner's jersey at each stage of these races? It seems that whomever takes the leader's jersey in these races instantly has his team's jersey in the leader's color instantly. Specifically:

1. Do they just make various sizes of the leader's jersey for each team in advance? That is, they may have one for Discovery, but different riders may be different sizes and it is possible (if not likely) that the leader's jersey could be held by more than one person on the team in the Tour or the Giro.

2. Do the riders get a new jersey each day they hold the lead? Thus, if you were the leader of 5 stages of a race, do you get 5 new leader's jerseys?

There would be something cool if the leader just got a colored jersey without his team's logo - that way, each leader would have the same exact jersey as every leader throughout the history of the race. That would be classy. Of course, the advertisers who pay for their logo to be all over the place would never let it happen (somewhat understandably).

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

On the podium they get a special jersey (with a zipper on the back) with a sticker with the team logo.

For the stage the next day they get a jersey (at least 1 with long sleeves & 1 wth short sleeves) with the team logo printed on it.
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Oswald

by Oswald

There is some guy there who can make them very fast. I have an article on him somewhere in a mag but would have to search for it. I think it was in 'Fiets'.

hottessa

by hottessa

They have a contraption like a big trouser press at the rear of the podium to stick on the sponsors logo after the stage
www.almendral.com - luxury road & mtb holidays

KingstonWheeler

by KingstonWheeler

I know for the Tour de France that leaders jerseys are made in advance of the race for every team and in every size. Riders don't just get one jersey, they get several for sponsors, team mates etc and they also get long sleeved versions and for the TTs, skinsuits. A whole van is used in July just to drive this kit around France.

drjones96

by drjones96

Speaking of the grand tours....

Anybody seen the Baden Cooke crash photos? Looks like he was riding lightweights. Am I right?
Attachments
BadenCrash.jpg

jmh

by jmh

Looks like LW to me.

cadence90

by cadence90

Bettini was robbed.
He did move over but in a gradual manner, and he was leading the whole time. Cooke, insisting on continuing to the left, committed not only the tactical error, but the risky move, to both riders. No one was disqualified in the McEwen sprint the other day, where 20 guys were all over the place....
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

Both fault, I like the DQ decision on both. I say stfu and race, shit happens

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

When looking at the video footage taken from the chopper you actually see Cooke throwing himself into the fences as if he had a deathwish....

According to regulations Bettini should have kept a straight line to the finish but Cooke was pretty daft to choose the narrow end of the stick nonetheless.

No one was disqualified in the McEwen sprint the other day, where 20 guys were all over the place....

Why would anyone have to be disqualified for that?
Of course the others were obstructing Betini but that's just how it works when you're outnumbered....

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

cadence90

by cadence90

fdegrove wrote:
No one was disqualified in the McEwen sprint the other day, where 20 guys were all over the place....

Why would anyone have to be disqualified for that?
Of course the others were obstructing Betini but that's just how it works when you're outnumbered....

That's all I'm saying: this happens. Bettini did move but not with suddenness or malice; Cooke had time to react and decided to insist instead; very similar line changes happened in the McEwen sprint. I'm saying no one was dq'd in that one (and no one should have been), and no one should have been dq'd today. That's all.
Bettini will sleep on it, decide to race again, and will take it out on the road, in speed. Watch out for him and QS at L'Aquila now.... :wink:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Bettini did move but not with suddenness or malice; Cooke had time to react and decided to insist instead; very similar line changes happened in the McEwen sprint. I'm saying no one was dq'd in that one (and no one should have been), and no one should have been dq'd today. That's all.

Having watched the footage several times I can only agree with you.
Rules are rules however and I think it would have been allover the newspapers screaming "Scandal" "Corruption" if the Italians would have let it pass....
Mind you, I've seen occasions where the Belgian officials have favoured their own riders, turning a blind eye when they honestly shouldn't have....

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

brecht

by brecht

On this picture you can see he is riding the dura ace deep section wheels.
Don't think they're LW's because of the spokes...

Brecht

Timo

by Timo

drjones96 wrote:Anybody seen the Baden Cooke crash photos? Looks like he was riding lightweights. Am I right?

These wheels have carbonfibre rims with silver spokes and hubs. I doubt they're lightweights.

Timo

by Timo

When you look at the footage you'll see that Bettini checks Cooke's position twice, both by looking at him through his own legs while sprinting out of the saddle. The second time he looks he sees Cooke's move to the left and that is when he moves to the left too. No doubt, he did not keep a straight line in an attempt to block Cooke. Disqualification is correct.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com