Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Sun May 01, 2016 3:18 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED

If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Switzerland
I'm riding on a roadbike with runs with a fsa aheadset (drop-in-bearing-system), and I can't get a certain "fluffy" feeling out of the steering unit.
there's no play but it's not perfectly stiff either.Anyone having made similar observation?
What are the best bearings to use for the campy system(11/8")-no play at the inner ring? :cry:


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 6:58 pm
Posts: 33
been riding numerous bikes with the FSA bearings and never had any problems. Though sometimes, if one is using a full carbon fork, one might exparience problems with the expander. It could very well start to slide upwards in the fork so one never gets rid of the "play".

_________________
It can never be too stiff...


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Switzerland
BMF wrote:
been riding numerous bikes with the FSA bearings and never had any problems. Though sometimes, if one is using a full carbon fork, one might exparience problems with the expander. It could very well start to slide upwards in the fork so one never gets rid of the "play".



I got a fullcarbon fork with the angle included (part of the carbonfork) so in my case it can't be the expander. :?


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:53 pm
Posts: 194
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Did you install the headset, or the store?

It is very easy to put the bearing in upside down. There are two sets, both top and bottom. If either one is reversed, the headset will function but will feel a little loose and impossible to get a solid feel no matter how much adjustment is performed.

This happened to me after changing out a fork. The headset was flawless and I couldn't get the new fork to feel right. After beating my head against the wall I realized that the top bearing ring was in upside down.

After reversing it, the fork and headset seated and now perform witout a hitch.

I have actually found the FSA headset solid and rigid. Almost impossible to get it to feel loose or bind up. Unless you have it in wrong.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Switzerland
MGS9500 wrote:
Did you install the headset, or the store?

It is very easy to put the bearing in upside down. There are two sets, both top and bottom. If either one is reversed, the headset will function but will feel a little loose and impossible to get a solid feel no matter how much adjustment is performed.

This happened to me after changing out a fork. The headset was flawless and I couldn't get the new fork to feel right. After beating my head against the wall I realized that the top bearing ring was in upside down.

After reversing it, the fork and headset seated and now perform witout a hitch.

I have actually found the FSA headset solid and rigid. Almost impossible to get it to feel loose or bind up. Unless you have it in wrong.


You are right that could be possible-but I have put them in the right way-it's just the fact that these bearings have some play at the inner ring(where the head of the fork goes through) and I believe that fact can't be erased no matter how strong one tightens the headset (until the bearings are flat)-? :shock:


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Posts: 1918
Location: USA
In all my experience with IS headsets, it sounds like you're missing a peice. There should be a small, split-style crown race that fits into the inner-diameter of the lower bearing.

Something else to keep in mind, though I'm sure it's already been looked into is that there are two standards of Integrated headsets, Cane Creek and Campy. FSA makes headsets for both systems, and they are not interchangable. As odd as it may be, it's possible you have a bearing from the wrong system. It's an unlikely mix-up, but something to look into none the less.

I have the cane-creek style IS headset on my mountain bike and it works fine, and all of the eddy merckx bikes we sell use the campy style IS HS and that's the least of the problems on the bikes.

I would have a shop that does a lot of work with bikes that use that style of head-set take a look at yours. There's definitely something wrong if there's any play at all.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Switzerland
nexusheli wrote:
In all my experience with IS headsets, it sounds like you're missing a peice. There should be a small, split-style crown race that fits into the inner-diameter of the lower bearing.

Something else to keep in mind, though I'm sure it's already been looked into is that there are two standards of Integrated headsets, Cane Creek and Campy. FSA makes headsets for both systems, and they are not interchangable. As odd as it may be, it's possible you have a bearing from the wrong system. It's an unlikely mix-up, but something to look into none the less.

I have the cane-creek style IS headset on my mountain bike and it works fine, and all of the eddy merckx bikes we sell use the campy style IS HS and that's the least of the problems on the bikes.


I would have a shop that does a lot of work with bikes that use that style of head-set take a look at yours. There's definitely something wrong if there's any play at all.


Yes, that would be a possibility, the mix-up of two different angle-systems but this isn't the case either and as I mentioned earlier, For the lower bearing I don't need a split-style crown race since this is integrated in my time full carbon fork (36°).The bearings are: 36X36 / 41.5X6.5mm.Th-industries red seal. :?:


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:36 pm
Posts: 4123
It wasn't quite clear, but you mentioned Campy system in your first post? Your time fork according to you is 36 deg. That's not the Campagnolo Hiddenset standard, which is 45/45 deg.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Posts: 1918
Location: USA
Quote:
It wasn't quite clear, but you mentioned Campy system in your first post? Your time fork according to you is 36 deg. That's not the Campagnolo Hiddenset standard, which is 45/45 deg.


Agreed. Campy is 45/45, Cane Creek is 36/45. You did ask about campy system up top. If you've got campy style headset on a CC style fork, that's the problem right there.

The FSA Orbit CE and Orbit CF are both Campy style, the Orbit I is the only headset I know they make in the Cane Creek standard. You might want to check into it again.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Switzerland
nexusheli wrote:
Quote:
It wasn't quite clear, but you mentioned Campy system in your first post? Your time fork according to you is 36 deg. That's not the Campagnolo Hiddenset standard, which is 45/45 deg.


Agreed. Campy is 45/45, Cane Creek is 36/45. You did ask about campy system up top. If you've got campy style headset on a CC style fork, that's the problem right there.

The FSA Orbit CE and Orbit CF are both Campy style, the Orbit I is the only headset I know they make in the Cane Creek standard. You might want to check into it again.


You are all right.I was talking about campy because I'm thinking to have it converted to that system since the bearings are bigger-before I do it-I wanted to know how it performs.
But yes, so far I still have the th-system-36x36/41.4X6.5mm.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:33 pm 
Offline
Tubbie Guru

Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 2:20 am
Posts: 5835
Location: Belgium
Hi,

Quote:
You are all right.I was talking about campy because I'm thinking to have it converted to that system


As far as I know both systems are not interchangeable.

Ciao, :wink:

_________________
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:52 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Switzerland
fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

Quote:
You are all right.I was talking about campy because I'm thinking to have it converted to that system


As far as I know both systems are not interchangeable.

Ciao, :wink:


They're not confertible unless you prepare fork and steering tube to fit that system.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Aero Drop Bars

[ Go to page: 1 2 3 ]

in Road

campbellrae

35

4083

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:15 am

muntos View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. 7.7 TREK Madone Need to drop weight

in Road

edualonso

5

506

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:26 pm

FIJIGabe View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Lightest Road aero drop bar?

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

Juanmoretime

16

2720

Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:50 am

jvanv8 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Flat top compact drop bar advice

in Road

Devon

11

488

Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:35 pm

audiojan View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Road bike Handlebar with 22.2mm drop tubes?

in Road

andreszucs

8

252

Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:21 pm

MisterMuncher View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hlvd, LionelB, Matt28NJ and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited