Zipp 77/177

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alastairb

by alastairb

Simple one; are Zipp hubs ok now?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Personally, I think the last generation of 88/188 hubs (the 2x lacing on drive and non-drive side) and 77/177 hubs are fine. I haven't used the 77/177 hubs, but I have used the last two generations of the 88/188 hubs, and could tell the difference. Once they went to 2x on the drive side, the wheels became much more solid. I weigh 100kg, and don't notice any rubbing on my 404's, where my old 303's did suffer from rubbing, even with a modest power output.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

addieboy

by addieboy

this was also the subject of my research the past few months. i am almost decided on a custom wheelbuilder 404 with White Industries 24/28 hubs but got a good deal on a 404 with a 77/177.

agree with fijigabe. 24 spoke with 2x DS and a stiff rim is good enough and the wheels really feel solid.

so far, no flexing or any issues climbing while standing at 85kg. brakes are also good enough for me.

alastairb

by alastairb

Good to hear; sounds like I might be buying some 404s!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Denavelo

by Denavelo

The only thing good about Zipp wheels are the carbon hoops..
I had a set of 404FC and they rubbed like crazy, flexed and the rear hub always came loose.
I sold them with the quickness... Just not my cup of tea. The rims are pretty good with the right pads.
I would ride Zipp rims laced to CK45/Tune/Extralite/WIT11 hubs....
It puzzles me why Zipp won't just use a known hub builder versus their in-house process.
They could have easily hired someone Like Alex from Hermes Sport to assist with hub design.
The hubs have always been the weak point of Zipp wheels. Every single generation...
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

What year wheels did you have? The difference between the V8 and V9 hubs was significant. Like I said above, the 2x lacing made a significant difference in stiffness of the wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I have had mine since May this year, they have been fine, no real flexing, braking has been great in the dry, only caught out in the rain once, and braking wasn't great, but thats a given.

My only gripe with them is the freehub outer bearing became rough. I don't use any water when washing the bike, it only saw rain once, no degreaser is used directly onto the cassette, so I was miffed with this, but swapped it out for some Enduro bearing, and all good.

The wheels spin great, no drag in the bearings and no play either in the bearings, they have covered around 2000 miles.

Luke