Hollowgram SI vs. Hollowgram SI SL?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Ceramic bearings are not worth the $ only advantage in real world is possibly weight savings however those who argue that ceramic is more durable have many reports on the boards of the ceramics (Cannondale) failing much earlier than steel bearings.

Mattias Hellöre
in the industry

by Mattias Hellöre

LegalizeMyCAAD9 wrote:
Mattias Hellöre wrote:How much is the weight difference on crankarms only between SI and SL so I can see the actual difference.
I have SI arms here but no SL.

175mm SLs

My Si at 172,5 is at 339 grams, that´s a big difference!
Experimental Prototype

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

i went through two sets of cdale ceramic bb30 bearings in a few months (and am not one to create massive power). i finally settled on the standard steel bearings and have had zero issues with them.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

anyone else using the SiSL's with Super Record11?

johnnyha

by johnnyha

I use the SiSL's with Di2 without issue (touch wood) so don't know what the guys at Cannondale are doing.

If you are in the UK I can recommend a dealer to set your bike up.

mechanism

by mechanism

I want to use the SI SL with campy super record as well. What do I order? Do I put some campy 11 rings on the si sl's spider or do I just stick with the stock rings?

What's the dealer you recommend in the UK, having trouble getting a shop that knows what it's doing regarding bb30 etc.

tochnics

by tochnics

those cranks look good
never knew that they were that much hollow inside
i already got some lightnings because of u can change from bsa to bb30 by just replacing cups
glad to have a 30 mm axle and a carbon spider with a normal bracket
also they are affordebel(ish), a cannondale needs a sisl for sure !
Join the light side

a light bike does make you go faster unless you are slow

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Is it wrong to put these on a non-cannondale frame?

semaj

by semaj

gumgardner wrote:anyone else using the SiSL's with Super Record11?

mechanism wrote:I want to use the SI SL with campy super record as well. What do I order? Do I put some campy 11 rings on the si sl's spider or do I just stick with the stock rings?

What's the dealer you recommend in the UK, having trouble getting a shop that knows what it's doing regarding bb30 etc.

I would like information on the above as well.

I'm planning on running 2011 Chorus 11 on a Cannondale SI SL crankset with compact rings. Is it optimal to use Campy 11s rings or should I use the stock Cannondale Hollowgram rings?

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Use FSA C11 rings. They come in compact.
Doing bike things.

gumgardner

by gumgardner

Would it be dumb to put a set of Fiber-lytes on these? That'd be a nice and light set-up but should the FL only be mated with a carbon crank?

swang169

by swang169

so the only difference between the SI and SI SL is weight? No stiffness differences?

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

mechanism wrote:I want to use the SI SL with campy super record as well. What do I order? Do I put some campy 11 rings on the si sl's spider or do I just stick with the stock rings?

It's not that simple. It's not possible to put campy rings on the stock cannondale spider. The campy 135mm bolt pattern will not work with the 130mm bolt pattern that comes standard on the cannondale spider. The Liquigas team had special campy specific spiders made so they could run campy rings. So you'll have to run FSA, or any other 11 speed compatible chain rings, that have a 130mm pattern.

You may be able to order the campy spider now but if so you used to not be able to.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

53x12

by 53x12

So I am thinking about getting a power meter (probably a SRM) and have both an SI and a newer SISL crankset. One is on my road bike and the other on my TT bike. I only want to have one power meter and switch between the two cranksets. Just curious how easy this would be with an SRM (or a Quarq)? I know I need C-Dale specific parts KT012 and KT013 to loosen the crank arms as well as the spindle. Is it as easy as that and then pop on the powerunit? The Quarq requires the power meter is sent to them to be installed, does that mean I won't be able to move it from one bike to another? Both cranks are standard (130) and same crank arm lengths. Thanks for any help guys.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Just bought a used SI crankset for my CAAD9 build. It came with a set of gold chainrings labeled MK-IV. I know the newer SI SL cranksets have the black MK-V chainrings. Just curious how the IV compare to the V chainrings? Are the MK-IV worth keeping? The gold chainrings are going to clash color wise against my frame, so I was thinking of swapping them out for some MK-V's if I could find them or something else that would match a bit better.

Here is a pic of it.

Someone mentioned to me it is from the old Saeco team bike? Does that sound right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com