HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 pm 

Just replaced my old compact red crank with the new compact 2012 version on my EVO, and the crank seems further outboard. Wondering if anyone else has installed the new red crank on an Evo and can confirm what bearing spacers they used. Chain is a new cleaned and dumonde tech lubed sram 1091, cassette is new SRAM red 2012 too (fwiw).

The old red crankset was installed with the SRAM pressfit 30 spacers, and worked great, so I installed the new one with the included pressfit 30 spacers and followed instructions exactly. The preload collar worked to snug everything up, and the fit seems great until the chain goes on. The main thing I noticed is that the chain makes a noise as it settles onto the inner chainring when in 1st and 2nd gear (it is not lined up well enough to slip onto the teeth without the chainring moving the chain laterally first). I made sure the chain wasn't hitting the FD cage or chaincatcher, so it seems like the drive side is a few mm further out than the old crank. I have the original bearing spacers that came with the frameset (intended for the sisl?) that are thinner, and am thinking about trying those instead of the SRAM PF30 ones, but before I start experiments, I thought i'd check with the hive mind here.

Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:18 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:48 pm 

one more bit of info...I also recently changed the wheels from shimano rs10's to new american classic rubeless road clinchers, and following their instructions, did not use the .5mm cassette spacer supplied with the wheels. when I ran the new wheels with the old crank on a 77 mile ride yesterday, I did not notice a problem with the chainline.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:05 pm 

ok, swapped back to the rs10's to check and make sure that didn't affect anything, and the chainline is the same on them. maybe the chain/chainrings just need a chance to get acquainted?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:32 am 
Shop Owner

Last post is the most likely scenario. On the new red, the outer ring may be effectively slightly further out, it is a wider ring. Inner ring should be in the same spot.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:50 pm 

i think you're right...when i looked at it more, the chain runs perfectly on the middle gears of the cassette, and gets louder on the inner chainring the further up or down i shift. i called SRAM and they said it was just a breaking-in process.