HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:49 am 

Hi all,

A question regarding the Jagwire Link Shift installation when you have a frame with interval wiring.

I have a Boardman SLR frame that needs new cables and I have bought the Jagwire Link set for that purpose. The Links have a nice full length liner around the inner cables

Now the frame is internally cabled and the frame cable stops will not allow the slightly larger liner to pass through.

So question to anyone with Links (other brands with full liner): Have you cut the inner liner at the cable stops, running the inner cable without the liner through the frame OR have you extended/drilled the cable stops the 1 mm needed to run a full liner?

All I have been able to find online is this image of Johny Clarke’s Boardman that runs what looks like a full liner:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am 

I have the same set of cables but have not installed them yet. I don't think they are meant to be run with full length liners. Jagwire's tutorial videos show cutting the liners at the external cable stops. I imagine the procedure would be the same for internal routing. The liner is only needed for the link segments.

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:04 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:11 pm 

I do not think the cables are intended to be run with liners but many people do run the liners at least around the bottom bracket area. IMO this cable routing is a horrible design feature adopted by most every manufacturer for mechanical systems. Without the liners dirt will accumulate on the cables and shifting will degrade. It will become more difficult to upshift due to this drag and downshifts will become less crisp. If you run the liners this will help but eventually they will wear out from the pressure and drag of the cable. The liners are not designed for those kind of loads.

I know several mechanics that have abandoned this system and just run a continuous length of housing from the shifter to the rear derailleur. A few minor modifications are required. Yes, it adds a bunch of weight but they never have to touch it again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:06 pm 

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Let's say ...

The distance from the cable stop where the RD cable goes into the down tube to the cable stop where it exits at the RH chainstay is 30cm. Well, you use a liner that is a bit shorter, say 26cm.