Cutting Weight Cost Effectively

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

singlefeldspar

by singlefeldspar

Interesting. They also look cool. I looked them up online for price and everything. The price seems fine. On the other hand, they look like they would break if I stepped on them too hard. While I would not expect that really to happen, I always worry a little if something is really made just for racing (i.e., not everyday use or having a short lifespan).

My goal is to make the bike light, but not at the expense of durability or comfort (to some extent).

I appreciate all the input.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Yea, I've always wondered about the stiffness and durability of the tune cranks. They look awfully thin.

cadence90

by cadence90

I think the tune would be definitely less stiff than 7800 and probably less stiff than 7700.
They look beautiful, but when I bought one (Bigfoot, but they're just about the same as Fastfoot in design) and it arrived I was surprised at how "slim" it was in reality; it didn't inspire me nor did it look good on the bike, just too delicate looking, so I sold it. Still, it is a quality product.
Plus, that "upgrade" would cost a fair amount to g's saved. If you're light and you like it, maybe; if you're bigger then forget it.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

drjones96

by drjones96

Ditto. If you're a fly-weight rider then there is nothing to be concerned about. If you're on the heavy side then maybe you need some other type of crank. There are a lot of cranks to choose from of the ISIS variety. Stronglight Pulsion, THM Clevacula(sp?),.. FSA Superlights and Team Edition Cranks are a little more common in ISIS. There are a lot of ISIS BB's that are pretty light out there also.
I'd like to tell you what to get but it's all going to come down to your preference. There are also a lot of ISIS BB's out there that are not high up on the durability scale so you need to do some research. The bearings in ISIS drive are inhearently small compared to other BB's.

drjones96

by drjones96

Stronglight Pulsion Crank is in the listings at 455g with bolts (432g Crankset+ 23g Bolts).
Find yourself a good light, durable ISIS BB and that would be a pretty light system for you.

Who has Stronglight Pulsions and can vouch for them?

big fellow

by big fellow

hey doc

i have had a pair of pulsions for last 7 or so months

love them, absolutely no problems with them, seem stiff enough for my 84kg frame to be hammering them

how much do you weigh out of interest? do the toppolinos have a rider weight restriction:?

Superlite

by Superlite

Pulsions are sweet cranks, but only if you team them with a good BB. FSA mega quad looks like the best thing at the moment that is still fairly light.

singlefeldspar

by singlefeldspar

Thanks for the info. To answer the earlier post, I weigh about 168 and will be down to 165 or a little lower shortly (always shedding those few extra winter pounds at this time). I am 5'10".

The Topolinos have no rider weight limit. With all the spokes, they are pretty damn tough. Short of something really jamming in the spokes while riding (which would be scary), I can't imagine the spokes breaking or coming out of true.

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Speedplay pedal inserts!

drjones96

by drjones96

singlefeldspar wrote:Third, I thought the EA (not EC) stem was very light. It is 135 grams. Am I missing something?

I have an EA70 OS. It weighs about 140 or so. This isn't the lightest option mind you it's simply that the EC90 Bar requires a two bolt stem (not a 4 bolt). However the New EC90 Equipe's don't have this restriction. IF you were willing to trade up to an EC90 Equipe you could get a Ritchy WCS or Syntace stem and drop some grams there; not that many really but it's something. I think SL will tell you that the Syntace is not a stiff stem. The Ritchey WCS I believe is stiffer than the Syntace.

Or if you want to drop some serious coin on a bar you could get a Schmolke TLO bar and that would reduce your bar weight fairly substantially and get a light stem to go with it.

If I were you I'd look into changing out your crank/bb, brakes, seat post, bar and stem. If you want to drop some grams then that's the way to go. Your saddle is nice and I've heard a lot of people say how comfortable it is. If you like it there is no sense in getting one of those crazy light carbon saddles.

Small things.....Nokon Cables&Housing. Much lighter than the standard DA cables&housing. Schmolke Ahead Cap to replace your Compression Cap. Bold Precision Skewers.

singlefeldspar

by singlefeldspar

A few questions about changing the cables to Nokon:

1. What would the weight savings be to change out the whole thing?
2. Is there any performance difference? I have heard people say Nokon cables are even better than DA.
3. What is the price (estimate) to buy the necessary cables?

Thanks again. You guys are coming up with some good suggestions.

col hicks

by col hicks

:D where can i get some info on these precision skewers currently using use spin stix but want some new ones

drjones96

by drjones96

http://www.boldprecision.com/bicycle.htm#skewers

Bold Precision is the standard when it comes to skewers. In the listings at around 50g.

cadence90

by cadence90

col hicks wrote::D where can i get some info on these precision skewers currently using use spin stix but want some new ones

Contact BOLD PRECISION or HI-TECH BIKES.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jersievers

by jersievers

I have created a little formula for if I upgrade or not...if it cost me more then $2.50 a gram, it is a no go.

By this formula, Zero G a must have...American Classic BB a must have...American Classic Carbon mids, marginal at $2.54. The Scott CR1 team issue, no go at $9.50 a gram. Really hard to justify a new handle bar, stem or seatpost. More going to be a wear out upgrade there, problem is how do you wear out a stem or seatpost.

I should probably add in an effectiveness ratio to the thing so there is something given to a huge savings even though it costs alot. Mainly because at some point a big savings is worth it.