Anyone wit 2005 CR1 change the compressor cap?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Superlite

by Superlite

Hey guys,

I'm about to change out the compressor cap for an ultra star to save some serous weight. My question is has anyone done this on the CR1 fork ( 2005 ).

Reason I ask is because the expander that comes with it looks like it is ment to reinforce the steerer tube. Will I be risking crushing my steerer tube if I don't use it? Or will it be fine?

Thanks

cadence90

by cadence90

Hey SL, is there any way you can post a photo of the stock expander for those unfamiliar with it (like myself)?
That way, seeing how it's meant to work, some of the experienced mechanics here might provide a rational and safe alternative.

I've not used the UltraStar, I guess the wedges expand the collars towards the steerer wall and are supported/buffered by those 2 rubber rings?
Has anyone had issues with those 2 rings drying out, cracking, etc. over time? Just curious.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

p.toth

by p.toth

I´ve got the same problem. I bought the Schmolke ahead-cap but I don´t know how to install it without raising the risk of breaking the fork (torque?). So if anyone uses this combination (Scott CR1 superlite fork and Schmolke ahead-cap) please let us know how this is working. Thanx in advance!

sharkman

by sharkman

Scott forks need reinforcement (especially the superlite).
Don't see the problem with the schmolke cap, that is when you ordered the right size it will give enough reinforcement to avoid problems with a collapsing steerer tube(in fact I ride it with my easton fork at the moment.
The ultra starr is not a good idea (as you might have guessed). The Scott plug is quite massive once it is tightened (and quite heavy too).
The lightest expander I could make was about 22 gramms and contains parts of campy, look and a ti spring.

HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

by HOWMUCHDOESITWEIGH?

What year-model Easton do you have... I just got the 2005 Easton EC90 SL and want to know the exact diameter for a Schmolke cap...
BILL NIKO, YOU WILL NOT EVER BE FORGOTTEN.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

SL, i would continue to use the scott expander cap, since it was made for that fork.....i know it's heavier, but it works well....

Superlite

by Superlite

I ended up modifying it. The top part the reinforces the tube will still be used, I bored all excess material out to get it to 5g. The ultrastar will go below it.

I'll post some pics when I get the ultra star and show what I did.

So about 19g for my new setup, not bad. 8)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

yes, i'd like to see it.....perhaps i can do the same with mine....

sharkman

by sharkman

the top ring will only provide reinforcement when the excentric (heavy) aluminium lower part is tightened maybe the ultrastar takes over this job, if not keep the original piece.
I have an 2004 Easton and every Easton part has to be measured since each and every easton product has it's own seize (tolerances are a bit large)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

sharkman, could you please describe how you made the 22 gram compression?

where did you get the parts (especially for ti spring)?

thanks..

sharkman

by sharkman

Well, the alloy lower parts (for reinforcement) came from a look fork (same as the ones from easton, alloy bolt and top cap (made it a bit thinner and put clearcote over it) from a record headset (only good thing of this piece). Spring which actually only has to be 1.5 cm long came from my mountainbike, but any good spring producer can make these by hand (very simple). Could actually even gain some weight by drilling out the lower parts.

SL Why use the lower parts?. Top piece can be glued with epoxy into the steerer (will last forever), will be extemely light, only disadvantage is you can't shorten the fork afterward.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

thanks, sharkman...i even thought of another way that is cheaper than using 3 different pieces. just buy the alpha q sub 3 aluminum insert, cut it to three inches, and insert with epoxy. then use the carbon top cap to screw in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Superlite

by Superlite

[quote]SL Why use the lower parts?. Top piece can be glued with epoxy into the steerer (will last forever), will be extemely light, only disadvantage is you can't shorten the fork afterward.[/quote]

You seem to know the answer. :wink:

Besides, with the boring I did with use of the Ultrastar it is lighter then just taking that piece and gluing it in.

14g total vs 15g. And it's re usable! Yeah! :twisted: