Cipollini quits - now!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

hamsterchick wrote:Just to verify something I randomly heard.......

Was it Super Mario who eventually popularised the use of coordinated cycling jerseys and shorts plus of course those fashionista statements of skinsuits just like the one shown above. Previous to Cippo, only the top attire was usually embellished but not the shorts.

Cipo pretty much started the whole coordination of uniform and bike to whatever jersey he was wearing. Cannondale thought he was a little crazy when he requested a bunch of frames painted the same colors as Giro jerseys, but when he busted them out (and he went through several different classifications that year) they were THRILLED! People were disgusted when he had the yellow shorts to go with the Maiilot Jaune in the Tour, but everyone does it now!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Jeez those glasses make him look like an alien.

drjones96

by drjones96

He has style. He has class. And, most importantly, he has a great sense of humor. I'll definitely miss seeing him pro cycling.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Has he the most wins ever? 189 is a lot!!!!!!!!!

hamsterchick

by hamsterchick

Previous to his disclosure of permanently leaving the sport, Cippo had a random tit-for-tat with Pettachi whom presently seemed to be taking over Maro's reign as Sprint King. Both though after the innuendos have remained carefully respectful of each other.

Now that the inevitable has transpired, who would be the rightful pretender to the throne? Pettachi, Boonen, Friere,Zabel or McEwan? :?:

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

hamsterchick wrote:Previous to his disclosure of permanently leaving the sport, Cippo had a random tit-for-tat with Pettachi whom presently seemed to be taking over Maro's reign as Sprint King. Both though after the innuendos have remained carefully respectful of each other.

Now that the inevitable has transpired, who would be the rightful pretender to the throne? Pettachi, Boonen, Friere,Zabel or McEwan? :?:

They pretty blatantly took some digs at each other in the press, it wasn't totally behind closed doors.

Petacchi is the clear heir to the throne. Boonen is good, but he is no pure sprinter (as proven by his impressive wins in P-R and Flanders this year). I don't see him racking up 4+ stage wins in any Grand Tour (well, maybe the Vuelta).

okr

by okr

zakeen wrote:Has he the most wins ever? 189 is a lot!!!!!!!!!

A belgian fellow won a few races back in the sixties and seventies.
525 wins in 1,800 races.. That is pretty good.

drjones96

by drjones96

Davis Phinney had over 300 wins.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

He has the most of all current pros, but certainly not the most ever.

Regardless, I'll certainly miss him, and everything he brought to cycling.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

okr wrote:

A belgian fellow won a few races back in the sixties and seventies.
525 wins in 1,800 races.. That is pretty good.

I think I've heard of him... doesn't he own some big pharmaceutical company now? :P

cadence90

by cadence90

From "La Gazzetta dello Sport":

Cipo will make a special farewell ride in the Giro prologue tomorrow: he will depart before the first registered rider at 18:40.
Rumor has it that his full body outfit will be pink to honor the Giro, decorated with commemorations of his 189 wins.

You know he's going out in style!. :thumbup:
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

I think I've heard of him... doesn't he own some big pharmaceutical company now?

Geeezzzzzzzzzz...................... :roll:

The guy in question is Eddy Merckx, he manufactures bicycles nowadays not drugs....That must be Jansen Pharmaceuticals you're refering to.

Regarding dope, name me one pro you're absolutely sure of that doesn't take anything.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

I think I've heard of him... doesn't he own some big pharmaceutical company now?

Geeezzzzzzzzzz...................... :roll:

The guy in question is Eddy Merckx, he manufactures bicycles nowadays not drugs....That must be Jansen Pharmaceuticals you're refering to.

Regarding dope, name me one pro you're absolutely sure of that doesn't take anything.

OK class, listen up. Today, we'll be learning about sarcasm. See, it goes like this: you say one thing, but since it's sarcastic, it might mean something else, or be in jest. You with me so far?

One of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world is Merck. Eddy's last name is Merckx. Still with me? Good. :P

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

One of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world is Merck. Eddy's last name is Merckx.

Drop or add characters as you see fit....

Another famous rider of about the same era was Jan Janssen.
See, I just added an "s" to the family name but it still doesn't make him either Jansen Pharmaceuticals or Merk for that matter....

Incidently Mr. Jansen now runs a bike company as well. 1-1?

Have fun...I wasn't.

Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

allezkmiec

by allezkmiec

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

One of the biggest pharmaceutical companies in the world is Merck. Eddy's last name is Merckx.

Drop or add characters as you see fit....

Another famous rider of about the same era was Jan Janssen.
See, I just added an "s" to the family name but it still doesn't make him either Jansen Pharmaceuticals or Merk for that matter....

Incidently Mr. Jansen now runs a bike company as well. 1-1?

Have fun...I wasn't.

*exasperated* It was a good-natured, sarcastic play on words. Of course I've heard of Eddy Merckx. AND Jan Janssen. argh.

maybe there's some sort of internet language barrier I don't know about.