Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:11 am 

I'm scheduled for Mt. Washington. I raced it in 2012 with a 50x33 compact SRAM Apex up front (the crank does take a 33 low) and a 12x36 in back and used a SRAM X9 Mountain Rear derailleur. It shifted fine, although the jumps were huge. I still use that derailleur on flat rides around here with an 11x26 cassette.

However, I'm upgrading to 11 speed and am told the SRAM road shifters do not work with SRAM mountain derailleurs anymore. So the lowest I can go is 33 in front and 32 in back. Since I've gained 15 pounds in the past five years and maybe gain more (I'm getting old) I need to at least have the 33x36 I had in 2012. I thought of putting a SRAM double mountain crank in front with a 30 bottom and perhaps a 44 or 46 top chainring and keep the 11x32 in back from the APEX. The gaps aren't too bad with 11 speeds, and with a 30x32 I can have the same bottom gear. The APEX can only go up to a 32 tooth max.

Thought of seeing if the SRAM 1x rear derailleur, which can handle 10-42 teeth might work on a double. Or, I was wondering if SRAM had an older 11 speed double tap that still worked with the Mt. Derailleurs before they changed their shifters. I am putting new wheels on my bicycle and I want to be able to smoothly transition from flat Indiana roads to Mt. Washington, or Mt. Evans, or any mountain in this country (I think Mt. Evans is harder than Washington--I've raced Evans five times) or Pikes Peak?

I only really need to fit an extra four teeth into that 11x32 cassette, but if possible, a few more--maybe the equivalent of a 33x40. I'm only getting older, heavier, and weaker.

Last edited by yesroh on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm 

You should be able to use a 10 speed SRAM mountain derailleur with 11 speed SRAM road shifters. The cable pull changed on the mountain derailleurs, but not the road shifters. They are still 1:1.

Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:55 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:19 pm 

Wolf Roadlink so you can use a 40 tooth low?

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/pages/roadlink-tech-page

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:26 pm 

So if I keep the same old X9 mountain derailleur, I could upgrade to 11 speed double tax shifters and they would still move the derailleur up the cog fine with the next 11 speed 12x36?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:42 pm 

Looks like we'll be in the same race buddy.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145522&hilit=mt+washington
The gearing is so important for this race ... as is the strategy.

SRAM Road - SRAM Mountain uses the same index length now so you can use SRAM Road shifters with SRAM MTB derailleurs.
I would get the modern derailleur and upgrade to 11spd so you can change derailleurs and switch from Mountain to Road gearing/cassettes easier in the future.

Shimano does not have the same indexing from their Road - MTB line up.
I have to snake cables and change my shifters and derailleurs everytime I change for a mountain climb set up. It sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:27 pm 

yesroh wrote:
I am putting new wheels on my bicycle and I want to be able to smoothly transition from flat Indiana roads to Mt. Washington, or Mt. Evans, or any mountain in this country (I think Mt. Evans is harder than Washington--I've raced Evans five times) or Pikes Peak?

No comments on your gearing question. But I have climbed Mt. Evans about 10 years ago. Its just a regular Rocky Mountain climb. 5-6-7% grade for 10 plus miles or so. Nothing difficult. Just need a somewhat lower gear and time to sit and pedal up it. 10 years ago I was much younger, and much fitter too. Had a low gear of 30x29 I think. Pretty low. Not sure I used the low gear though. The Rockies aren't steep. Just long. Unless your physical condition is just abysmal, I don't think any special gearing is necessary for Mt. Evans. I'm confident the old geriatric seniors I ride with each Saturday morning could get up it with no problems using a 34x32 low gear.

I climbed Mt. Evans in June 2007. Left Idaho Springs about 1PM or so. I was at the summit at about 4PM. The park ranger said it was the latest in the day he had ever seen a bicyclist at the summit. There were snow flakes, flurries as I descended off the top. Just a couple miles near the top on the switchbacks. The old rule about climbing mountains in the morning before Noon is true. It can snow on mountain tops in the afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:53 pm 

Gear ratio is a combination of both the front chainring and rear cog sizes. Rather than trying to figure out how to get a big 11 speed cassette and how to make your rear derailleur work with it, get a smaller chainring. There are two options:

- Swap the compact road crank for an MTB crank. MTB inner chainrings are available in a variety of sizes, down to 20 teeth. (If you don't have an MTB as a donor bike, surely you have a friend with one.)

- If your frame has enough space for it, replace your inner chainring with a triplizer ring, which allows you to mount a smaller 3rd chainring to the inside of the small ring.

Oh, and don't worry about front shifting. Mt. Washington has no flat or downhill sections, so you only need one (small) chainring. Remove the bigger chainring and the front derailleur (which also saves a little weight).

My current Mt. Washington drive train mates a Campagnolo 12-29 11spd cassette and Chorus rear derailleur in back with 22 tooth chainring mounted to an MTB crank in front. The front derailleur and middle & outer MTB chainrings are removed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am 

Exact actuation derailleurs will work with 11 and 11s road shifters. You can keep the rear Mtb derailleur and just use 11s levers and cassette.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 am