Cunego not on six13

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

divve

by divve

It's got a clear coat over the raw aluminum though.

Coolhand

by Coolhand

divve wrote:It's got a clear coat over the raw aluminum though.

Which makes sense, otherwise it would oxidize, and there goes the shiny.

They have done the clear coat over Al before, and it was striking. Although this seems to take it to the next level. Should be purty. :wink:

I will take some digital photo's whenever my little budget buster shows up.

Any thought on the part swaps to lighten her up? Only caveat- 181 pounds and races, so flexy stuff need not apply.
This forum would be a better place if you had to know what you were talking about prior to posting. And if you took yourself less seriously.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

Coolhand wrote:
divve wrote:It's got a clear coat over the raw aluminum though.

Which makes sense, otherwise it would oxidize, and there goes the shiny.

I was under the impression that aluminum oxidizes almost instantly upon contact with air... :?:

drjones96

by drjones96

ShinyBaldy wrote:I was under the impression that aluminum oxidizes almost instantly upon contact with air... :?:

I wouldn't say instantly but it doesn't take that long. Hours or Days not seconds. It also depends on the environment that you put the aluminum in in it's raw form. Salt air/water envioronment and yes, Corrosion will occur in a short period of time. Inland, fresh air would take much longer for corrosion to get to a noticable degree. If I were to guess I'd say they send the frame to a polishing shop and then it goes straight to the paint booth for clear coat. All the while the frame is kept clean and handled with clean gloved hands.

jersievers

by jersievers

I have a AL TT bike I striped and used a polishing wheel on. It got a great chrome shine to it. It didn't oxidize instantly, but did lose the deep shine in a month. Still looked pretty good, but dull...like Ti gets. I went back to the polishing wheel and in 30 mins was back to its shinny prior self. I then took and used some auto paint polish on it, this worked great. The polish has kept that deep chrome shine for the last few months, still looks good.

I have a friend with a CAAD7 Seaco Team bike...this version with SI and the frame was raw AL with team decals simply stuck to the frame. There was no clear coat. He pelled off the all the stickers...didn't like the red I guess. It has a matte gray finish now after a few years.
Attachments
DSCF1760.jpg

divve

by divve

My CAAD7 is ball burnished (no coating). My understanding is the process seals to pores in the metal or something..... Anyway, it seems to stay pretty shiny from what I can tell by looking through the dirt :)
Attachments
LDA.jpg

spokey1.0

by spokey1.0

Phew...that bike deserves a good clean.

Bruiser

by Bruiser

spokey1.0 wrote:Phew...that bike deserves a good clean.

Imagine the weight he could save!

big fellow

by big fellow

i just got a caad 7 superlite team replica which is polished

i live in a hot and humid asian country

wha'ts the best way to look after it?

ShinyBaldy

by ShinyBaldy

big fellow wrote:i just got a caad 7 superlite team replica which is polished

i live in a hot and humid asian country

wha'ts the best way to look after it?

hmmmm philippines?

aluminium isn't so prone to corrison from humidity alone - so i wouldn't worry about it...

big fellow

by big fellow

no, not philippines - singapore - always hot and always humid!!!!!!!!!

divve

by divve

Use some mild polishing protective car wax liquid. It should keep the shine on and the dirt will stick less. To really shine it up use wax polishing paste and finish off with the liquid wax.