HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:37 am 

i was looking through the new edition of bicycling australia and found an add in the back of the mag stating "brand new full carbon frames" only 950AUD checked out the site and looked at all the stuff, testimonials etc.
could someone with some knowledge of carbon please look at this site and tell me why they are selling these frames so cheap as they are like 1/3 of the price of a normal decent carbon frame........
something doesnt seem quite rite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:29 am 

Don't know, but this looks intriguing.

http://pedalforce.com/web/model_M4.htm

Somebody have any experience with them?

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:29 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:48 am 

Can't remember where I read it but aparently they're built in the same factory as the lower down look models. No experience with them and havent seen them either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:58 am 

I thought all Look bikes were either made in Tunisia or France? I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, my biggest fear of buying from that site would be like a sudden and complete failure on a fast descent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:59 am 

brianwchan wrote:
I thought all Look bikes were either made in Tunisia or France? I'm probably wrong.

Anyway, my biggest fear of buying from that site would be like a sudden and complete failure on a fast descent.

yeh, carbon doesnt tell you when its gonna break, it just breaks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:48 pm 

Yeah, ala the Airbus over NY. The pieces holding the rudder were/are carbon. Not to say metal would not have broken but the carbon just snapped from the forces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:58 pm 

I think that fork, the m4, looks like the reynolds ouzo... anybody else think so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:29 am 

I was a little tempted by one of these before plumping for my Rex e : I saw one of these the other day on my ride to work - not the prettiest or lightest frame by any means but pretty decent value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:56 pm 

i bought a seatpost yeasterday (for a scrap together project) I'll weigh it and get back to you guys about the overall quality of their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:36 am 

it's made in Taiwan. From Advance Group, this company has produced for few Italian, and Belgian brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 3:01 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
it's made in Taiwan. From Advance Group, this company has produced for few Italian, and Belgian brands.

.............And Dutch, French, British, German etc., as far as I know.

Nothing particularly wrong with these either.
Most are targeted at the "House Brand" market if you know what I mean.
At 950 AUD they're reasonably priced but believe me, they're still making good money on them too.
Not that they're not allowed to of course.

Almost all of those carbon cranks, forks, frames and what have you are made to spec in Taiwan or wherever it's cheapest to build....
Once they have the blueprint expired they're usually allowed to go to market with the stuff our local pinhead so carefully designed.
Many of the bike stuff we see is often one big conglomerate, one selling fully assembled bikes, the other parts with fancy names and flashy logos, spinoff upon spinoff...Just one till though....

Some of it is good some not so good.
Usually you do get what you pays for, sometimes it's just another ripp off.

I've seen people discussing carbon cranks carrying different brandnames with them favouring one over the other just because they liked the logo better. Otherwise both cranks were absolutely identical. Go figure....

At the end of the day, it's your money and as they say: "De gustibus et coloribus non discutandum est".
Amen to that.

Ciao, :wink:

P.S. The price I see on their site says USD 650 for what seems to be a true to definition monocoque carbon frame sans fork. That is CHEAP.
Moreover, their lightweight fork looks almost identical in shape to Bianchi latest full carbon offerings.....Hmmmm...........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:48 am 

This is exactly what I expected to happen eventually. No-name, asian, monocoque, carbon frames being built for next to nothing and sold for a third of what you'd expect them to go for. And it's probably made with equivalent technology of name brand frames built under the same roof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:30 am 

If it's too good to be true, it usually is. $650 for a 1100g carbon monocoque frame? $650 will barely buy you a decent aluminum frame...

The Paypal-only order system makes me suspicious as well.

Hopefully someone can prove my skepticism wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:45 am 

Quote:
The Paypal-only order system makes me suspicious as well.

Why? Have you ever used paypal? I use it solely for every ebay purchase due to it's protection to the buyer. It is perhapes the safest way to purchase over the internet.

Once I was ripped off a few hundred, but paypal refunded my money no questions asked.

Post subject:
Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:45 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:11 am 

Paypal's pretty awesome (I use it to run the merchandise section of my cycling team's website), but if a site uses Paypal, it's probably because it doesn't have the resources to develop its own order system like any of the big online merchants. Furthermore, an entirely Paypal-based order system is indicative of low sales volume: if the company can handle its finances from one guy's Paypal account, they probably don't sell a lot of stuff. I know this from my own experience using Paypal.

Just like I would be suspicious of any company that has a poorly-designed website or whose promotional materials have bad spelling or grammar, I'm suspicious of a company which can't take the time to have its own nice website-based ordering system, just like every major web-based retailer.

Paypal's great for Ebay because you're buying and selling from individuals, but I think things are a little different when you're buying from a company.

Unjustified prejudice? Maybe, but I never said that I wouldn't buy because of the Paypal system -- I only said that it made me suspicious.

Go to page 1, 2  Next