HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:39 pm 

So, where can mere mortals like myself go to check out the prices of these items? I just want to know if I have to sell one of my kid's kidneys on ebay or both :thumbup: :mrgreen: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:26 pm 
AKA "The Nils"!

mythical wrote:
The Nils! Just out of curiosity, what's the Q-factor on these AX cranks? Also, have they been named yet?
Cheers Rico! The crankset does not carry a name yet - that is yet to be decided on. Also I cannot say anything definite on the Q-factor just yet, as the BB and spindle are currently undergoing some refinements and will look a little different in production than on the prototype. The basic principle remains the same though.
Quote:
Every WW should be able to have a bike with the entire AX product line on it! :mrgreen:
We are working on that! :wink: :mrgreen:

@dgasmd: We are currently into updating our website, so all the items should be found there fairly soon. For the US market & pricing your best bet on any up-to-date info is our 'Mr. Cow' from FairWheelBikes. He already has all the necessary info and the items may already be on their website as well.

Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:26 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:12 pm 

Nils--how about if you ask Mr Axel if WW members can come up with a name for the new crank in a given time frame? The most popular 5 names you can present to Axel--since most of his business are forum members here--i am guessing on that!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:50 pm 

pk0r wrote:
Quote:
Every WW should be able to have a bike with the entire AX product line on it! :mrgreen:
We are working on that! :wink: :mrgreen:

It seems that with the new AX products it will be very easy to make full functioning sub 4kg bike without hacking and drilling anything.
I remember some years ago the world lightest bike was around 4kg..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:54 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
How about "YACC"*? Yet another crank crank. Well make that YAULCC - yet another ultra light crank crank. Actually, if it actually comes out, one of the few ultra light cranks proceeding beyond vaporware stage.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:28 pm 
AKA "The Nils"!

Gold Knight wrote:
Nils--how about if you ask Mr Axel if WW members can come up with a name for the new crank in a given time frame? The most popular 5 names you can present to Axel--since most of his business are forum members here--i am guessing on that!

Kevin, that is a good proposal. I have just been discussing this with Axel and we indeed would like to give it a try. If you look at our name pattern it may become obvious that Axel likes to pick names from the Greek mythology (Hera, Poseidon, Artemis, Phoenix, ..), so ideally the name should fit into the same scheme -- it is not really a necessity though as can be seen with the "Nasdorowje" bottle cage; the name simply has to fit to the product, "ultralight crank" for instance would not be good enough, same with YACC or YAULCC Hammertime. Also the name must not already be reserved by any of our products nor be linked to a (well-known) product of another company (Nike won't do good either for instance).
I am currently in building our new 2010 printed catalogue, which will as well already contain the crankset, so name suggestions are definitely welcome -- but and this is the real challenge: the catalogue's deadline is next week!
I'd like to catch up GoldKnight's proposal of submitting name propositions of which the 5 best ones are going to picked from (either by us or eventually even better by the WW community) to then be discussed in an internal meeting over at us at the AX facility. The "best" submission (again this is subjective) will get an AX Nasdorowje bottle cage as well as our new AX-Lightness branded Tacx Source bottle.
Let the games begin! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:56 pm 

Not Greek mythology and might interfere with a rather well-known athlete, but I like "Thor" for a crankset.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:53 pm 

My proposition: AX-Lightness Hermes.

Reason: Hermes, an olympian god from greek mythology, protects all the travelers (we cyclists are travelers!), he was believed to have invented many types of racing and the sports (so he is called the patron of athletes - we, cyclist are athletes), he is also the patron of invention, weights and measures, of trade and business, he is also the patron of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them - that suits ax company profile quite well, I think. And the most important thing is the fact he had winged boots, so I bet he would have pretty nice cadence on the new AX cranks too 8)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:52 pm 

Athena.

My ~9.3kg / ~20.5lb Scale 29 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:09 pm 

Ion

It's short so it fits on the crank, it goes with Ax ("Axion") and it's Greek associated with "something that goes", something one would do faster with a light crankset.

i·on (ī'ŏn', ī'ən)
n. An atom or a group of atoms that has acquired a net electric charge by gaining or losing one or more electrons.

[Greek ion, something that goes, neuter present participle of ienai, to go; see ei- in Indo-European roots.]
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
Cite This Source

Also, associated with futuristic propulsion:

http://nmp.nasa.gov/ds1/tech/ionpropfaq.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:37 pm 

Why don't we call the new cranks the "SharkJump" in honor of all those other prototypical prototypes that get greatly hyped every year after Interbike and never see the light of day?

Or the "LewMeister Bogusness" in honor of a terribly executed idea (lightweight for the sheer sake of and absolutely no real-world functionality) that actually did make it to production, much to the chagrin of the WW world? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

Last edited by J-Nice on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:57 pm 
Moderator / Brake Pad Boy

Good to see, You, Axel and the rest of the crew are soo close to there customers, by involving them.
My vote would go to AX-Lightness Tartaros. The crank is exept for tere latest creation the rims the lowest part and therefor the closest to the ground / earth.

In Greek mythology, Tartarus is both a deity and a place in the underworld even lower than Hades. In ancient Orphic sources and in the mystery schools Tartarus is also the unbounded first-existing entity from which the Light and the cosmos are born. As for the place, the Greek poet Hesiod asserts that a bronze anvil falling from heaven would fall 9 days before it reached the Earth. The anvil would take nine more days to fall from Earth to Tartarus.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:40 pm 

J-Nice, your suggestions as hilarious as they are the absolute worst I've seen! I mean, if this was a grand tour, you'd be like a Lantern Rouge. :lol: GOod stuff though. :thumbup:

I genuinely believe AX isn't joking around. AX wouldn't just have the FWB crew show off prototypes and not putting them into production just for you. I spoke with Axel about cranks before their inception and now that I saw the result, I believe it's only a matter of time before they become available. :D

AX Lightness "Epeius/Epeios" cranks. Epeius was a king of the Epeians of Elis. At the moment it's certainly king of less-mass cranks. :mrgreen:

AX Dionysus cranks could sound cool.
Quote:
In classical mythology, Dionysus or Dionysos (pronounced /ˌdaɪ.ɵˈnaɪsəs/; Greek: Διόνυσος or Διώνυσος) is the god of wine, the inspirer of ritual madness and ecstasy, and a major figure of Greek mythology, and one of the twelve Olympians, among whom Greek mythology treated as a late arrival. The geographical origins of his cult were unknown to the classical Greeks, but all myths depicted him as having "foreign" origins; Dionysus is typical of the god of the epiphany, "the god that comes".
(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionysus )

AX Aether cranks, a reference that they're out of this world. ;) Then lastly, Atlas cranks, they are a load bearing cranks transferring the loads of the rider. :P These were some of my humble suggestions.
I sure hope they don't have an outrageous Q-factor e.g. like the 150+ mm on the Clavi's, so I could actually try these to-be-named cranks [in 175mm] and not of a certainty dislike them. :beerchug:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:51 pm 

AX Cerberus

A 3-headed dog who was one of the symbols for Hades. Who was brother of Poseidon, Zeus and Hera - see the link to existing products?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
The previous post was a joke. This is not.

The AX Pythias.

Like Pythias, the Pythias crank can be depended on to keep its word, perform as advertised, and get the job done, no matter the adversity.

Pythias had mind share due to my recent viewing of the Leave It To Beaver episode mentioned here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damon_and_Pythias .

But when I win, shouldn't I get a Pythias crank, rather than a water bottle and cage?

Edit. Corrected typo: Pythius --> Pythias

Last edited by HammerTime2 on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next