Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:16 am 

I've got a set of 2008 Ultra's with the 2 round spokes being black. In 2009 those round & heavier spokes went to being silver - 2009 seems to be the year of reported problems...... :(

.......not to rehash all that prior talk but but I am in the middle of purchasing a set of 2010 Bora Ultra 2's so just now I got around to checking out the Campy 2010 wheel catalog - they say now that the weighting opposite the valve stem is now done via extra carbon on the rim (instead of "oversized" spokes). Hopefully whatever problem was going on with those 2009 round spokes will be a thing of the past..........

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:16 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 am 

I broke an off side rear tonight, second from the valve , as you pedal. Am I right in thinking that if I get the Bora key and a spoke and pull it to the same point,as in straight then that will be perfect. Logic dictates that to be the case but my logic aint sure on this one.

I was deliberately pumping the acceleration, to see what I could get out of a tub I put on last night. I was on full turbo when the World exploded, I did not know what it was, I had got it up to 32 mph and climbing, with the traffic now behind me and I was trying to figure if I was going to survive or not. I was grand in the end but could not look, or see properly as It was dark and I'm slowly going blind. I had not used the rear since puncturing a couple of months ago.

They are five years old and had done me well for two years, no problem other than 3 punctures, got them from an ex pro for £800. At 14 stone ten(206 lbs), I am kind of huge but I am stupidly proud of breaking a spoke on the flat from acceleration alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:26 am 

It sounds like you're new at working on wheels. I have one suggestion if you plan to work it yourself - that based on my experiance when replacing a single spoke on a carbon wheel I find it advantageous as I crank up the tension on the replacement spoke that I forceably push (while the wheel is in a strong truing stand) the rim in a direction that will help the affected spoke/nipple turn on tighter with the least amount of resistance. Doing so pretty much guantees that all I have to do is reach the right tension on that one spoke and I don't have to mess with fine tuninig any others. BTW this is not based on replacing spokes on Campy wheels (mine have never broken a spoke) but rather on various others that had low spoke counts and used carbon rims.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:29 am 

That is what I meant, I had not thought of forcing it into position first, I do know of and about stress but not Boras, I fix most of my wheels with out a problem, but these are different and the guy that sold me them is 53miles away. I'm going to ring him now anyway. I have another out of true Bora, that I crashed last year, it is good but about 6-8 mil out of true, so depending on outcome, I may have all the spares in the World. I might just spend the money this time and watch them do it.Thanks.

p.s. Is the spoke key the same for Boras and 05 silver 30 mil(inch and a 1/4) deep Eurus?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:19 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

{USERNAME} wrote:
p.s. Is the spoke key the same for Boras and 05 silver 30 mil(inch and a 1/4) deep Eurus?

Yes.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:52 pm 

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

{USERNAME} wrote:

Yes.

Ciao, ;)

More many thanks, I went back to the shop where I bought them and had one new spoke installed , plus straightened the other rear I crashed last year, 5 mill kick in it, cost £18 all told .

£9 for the Eurus 05 spoke, heart attack territory, which I will do myself with a 5.5 hexagonal.

I also bought two Veloflex carbons for £60 each and an old criteruim(£10) one, for when(if) I puncture.

Tyres were fairly good value and I thought the work was very reasonable. I ring him and ask if he can do such and such and he says yes, everyone else is like, weeks of waiting. I'm not his best customer by any stwetch but the shop is great fun, as are the customers. It is 53 miles and or £20 on a train, but I prefer it. I'm to tired now to introduce the Velos to the Boras, tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:21 pm 

I have broken my front spoke, and i am now thinking is there a problem with the spokes on these
wheels.
Only wondering as its the second spoke in a month the first being the rear.
I have bought the kit but at this rate i will need to get another.

Anyone else have spoke problems? :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm 

I likely have about 10K miles combined on my 2008 Ultras and 2010 Ultra Two's - never been any need to true these wheels or replace a spoke.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:41 pm 

I broke another front spoke yards from the race track last year, my friend pinged a stone off his back wheel and hit the spoke which died immediately, they are pretty strong but I think now that a force from the side will break them quite easily, both rears are still going strong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

markyboy wrote:
I have broken my front spoke, and i am now thinking is there a problem with the spokes on these
wheels.

Are those for Ultra or U2 wheels?
There definitely have been probs with the round spokes on the U2 wheels.
Never heard of any spoke problems on the earlier versions though.
BTW, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the replacement spoke kit for U2 are identical to those of the Ultra kit.
I.e. all black steel Sapims and reliable.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:14 am 

I thought the limited problem with spoke breakage was with the silver round spokes found on the 2009 Ultra's (not Ultra 2's).

But I also understand that the initial version of Ultra 2's (early, early 2010 version) initially had round heavier spokes too - like the 2009 Ultras. My 2010 U Two's for instance were made later in 2010 and have aero spokes throughout and that heavier spot somewhere in the rim itself (plus the updated design on the rear hub itself).

T

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

markyboy wrote:
wheels.

BTW, not sure if this has been mentioned before, but the replacement spoke kit for U2 are identical to those of the Ultra kit.

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:19 am 

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

markyboy wrote:
wheels.

Ciao, ;)

Hi,its the black bladed spokes that have broken, and not the round ones.
And its the u2 :beerchug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 am 

If the black aero Bora spokes are made by Sapim, does anyone know exact specs / model for them so that they might be ordered separately if needed?

Otherwise the Campy replacement kits (especially in smaller countries like the one I'm living in) are really a pain to get, and in the last road race I had one front riding guy breaked hard, swept sideways and as a result bent 3 spokes on my Bora Ultra front. The wheel is still rideable, but out of true and I'd better replace the spokes than risk a failure on them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

tommasini wrote:
I thought the limited problem with spoke breakage was with the silver round spokes found on the 2009 Ultra's (not Ultra 2's).

But I also understand that the initial version of Ultra 2's (early, early 2010 version) initially had round heavier spokes too - like the 2009 Ultras. My 2010 U Two's for instance were made later in 2010 and have aero spokes throughout and that heavier spot somewhere in the rim itself (plus the updated design on the rear hub itself).

T

fdegrove wrote:
Hi,

markyboy wrote:
wheels.

Ciao, ;)

That's odd. AFAIK the Campa technical docs (spare parts lists) does not reflect any of those changes... :?

Ciao, ;)

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:38 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:52 am 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

mrlobber wrote:
If the black aero Bora spokes are made by Sapim, does anyone know exact specs / model for them so that they might be ordered separately if needed?

Otherwise the Campy replacement kits (especially in smaller countries like the one I'm living in) are really a pain to get, and in the last road race I had one front riding guy breaked hard, swept sideways and as a result bent 3 spokes on my Bora Ultra front. The wheel is still rideable, but out of true and I'd better replace the spokes than risk a failure on them.

You could order 3pcs of 265mm straight black Sapim CX-Ray spokes and reuse the nuts and washers from the bent ones.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Spares11-C-170111.pdf

The problem however will finding spokes of the correct length as most dealers only stock the even number length spokes, not the odd number ones.

For the rear wheel this even more problematic as you'd need 263,5mm long spokes....

As you'd only need the 265mm spokes I'd suggest ordering spoke kit KIT31-BO.

Ciao, ;)