Giant TCR Composite ONCE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spytech

by spytech

I recently bought this frame, and i would like to hear everyone thoughts on it. what do you guys think of this frame...?

sorry for two images, didnt know how to take it off.

[edited by Florian: fixed the double appearing images]
Attachments
Giant-once1.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JTC

by JTC

Friend of mine bought the same frame and he loves it. Its a nice frame for the price, and about as light as they come for carbon; 990g I hear?

spytech

by spytech

i have ridden it, but i have not ridden mine, i payed $1025 for the frame fork and headset.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

This frame is great, it is the for me my favourite. You have to look at the geometry and decide what kind of rider you want to be. Do you want the leisurely angles of Colnago or LOOK (kx, kg386). Or do you want the hell for leather racing position of this frame. I have both geometries and the Giant is more nervous, some people say handles badly. I say that they have not spent anough time with it. The LOOK takes a good line and feels comfortable. With the Giant you have to concentrate a bit more, but it is much sharper in sudden changes of direction. Just be gentle.

Very comfortable, and very strong. Five year warranty, and here in the U.K. Giant are very good for after sales service

by Karma

I believe your frame is a 2002 version. I have the 2003 Team Once version. Same frame, different graphics, I think. Been riding mine for several months. My steel Bianchi has very similar angles but with a longer wheel base. They handle very much the same which means good. The main difference is the Giants quickness at low speeds and at high speeds where the Giant does require more attention. I agree with Francois that all it takes is familiarity. I have Rolf Elan wheels and Conti Attack Force tires. The gives a very light front end and low rotational inertia. At first I thought the frame or fork was twichy. Now, I think it solely due to the lightness of the steering system. I don't see a problem that getting used to won't cure. Another way of looking at the issue is the Giant is unbelievably quick and accurate. I really like it. However, I must qualify my opinions by saying that I have never ridden a bike as light as the Giant or with such extreme goemetries. Really, 1/8 of an inch between the rear tire and the seat tube. WOW!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!

spytech

by spytech

the frame is a 2003 - maybe they changed the graphix, but i am sure its a 2003. but anyways, its the same frame.

i like the 2004 they are clear coated.

post a pic of your frame i would like to see it.

by Karma

Just checked the Giant page. You are right. It seems there was no composite Team frame in 2002; just Alum. However, mine has different markings than yours. Check their site and look at the 2003 catalog. Thats mine. Sorry but no pictures yet. Looks like there are early and late 2003 carbon Team frames. Nothing like confusion, Right? No matter. I predict you will love the bike. I can't add anything to the great reviews out there except to say I agree! How are you planning to equip it? With care you should be able to come in under the 15.5 lbs. on mine. I do have the Campy Triple crank set which is alum. Excellent but a place to save weight. To make up some weight, I have the Campy full Ti 10 speed cassette. Also, I originally chose Campy Proton wheels. They are good but not so light (1640 gms I think). The Rolf Elan's are a big improvement. Go light on the wheels if you can. You won't be sorry. Have fun. I forgot to add that your frame also is clear coated but the film is flat not shiney. Personally, I like it and may show scratches less.

bladteth

by bladteth

Spytech is right, the frame is TCR Team ONCE Composite 2003. Karma, perhaps your Giant was not made for US market? As far as I know, Canadian frame has a bit different decals (less grey, more yellow).
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

by Karma

bladteth, you may right but I know of nothing that supports your idea that either frame may be for the non-USA market. The first time I saw the frame was in local bike shop. It was a bare frame and was marked just like spytech's. At the shop I was given the Giant 2003 catalog. Surprise. The Team Once Composite TCR frame shown was marked just like the bike I bought several months later. The two versions puzzled me even then.

I was a wee bit disappointed because I like spytech's graphic's better. Giants 2003 WEB catalog again shows the bike I have. spytech, you may have a collectors piece.

So now we have a grand mystery. What's the deal with the marking's. The world pivots on this issue. Inquiring minds want to know.

jam23

by jam23

Hi all!!

You have a 2003 bike with the 2002 graphics.

On photo you have my bike that it´s a 2002 alu. Giant, first composite were made with those "logos" and they have so many problems (crashes so much, I hope not yours :wink: ).
ONCE team had to take back some frames too.

Then they changed all the frame (same problem they have with the alu. frames, first they were alu C92 and have many crashes and they changed to an ALUXX aluminium).

On my bike friends group had to change 6 aluminium frames :cry:

Mine is well, I hope for many years !!!!! :wink:
Attachments
Sin título-Color real-01 (Small).jpg
Excuse my English, it is not my mother tongue.

spytech

by spytech

I like the decals on the 2004 and they are clear coated now.

i will have campy record with FSA Team issue crank 175 Selle italia slr seat ec90 Seat post look CX-6 carbon pedals. deda synapsi bars (which i am thinking of selling because i might get the kuota bars, so i will save about 80 grams if i do change to them) and ksyrium sl 2004 wheels. i hope its under 15.5 lbs

i might throw in some CAT brakes so i will save another 100 grams.

i can save another 50 grams with Campy carbon carnks or superlites, but is it worth it? i paid 259 for my cranks brand new. i cant get the campy carbon for anything less than 500 and the superlite for 400

one more thing, i dont know about bottom bracket measurements, what size should i get?

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

Are the cranks ISIS, Octalink or square taper?
Ride lightly!

by Karma

spytech, it sounds like you have wild and wonderful plans. I don't think you will have any trouble beating 15.5.lbs. The main weight weakness on my bike is due to my insistance on a triple crank set. Yes, I knew about FSA but I'm a CAMPY fan and wasn't willing to settle for less. Tim at Branford Bike told me that CAMPY may have a carbon triple by summer of 2004. I'm not holding my breath. The CAMPY triple is actually pretty light for alloy. FSA's carbon triple is lighter, but its not CAMPY. I know, I'm a terrible snob. But, 30 years of experience with CAMPY has taught that it's worth the money and, in some cases the small extra weight.

Any triple with wide range gears is costly in a number of ways. In addition to the crankset, the chain is longer and heavier, the rear derail. uses a long cage, the front derail. uses an extended cage and the bottom bracket is a tad heavier. CAMPY's Pro-Fit pedals are great. Would not trade for Speedplay. I have a 13-26 all Ti cassette but the larger cogs weigh more.

I'm interested in the AX carbon brakes but will wait to see how good they are and if they will last. I'm not into investing 1000 bucks into a total unknown especially brakes. The Record brakes work very well and are quite light for their type.

Sorry, but I can't help you concerning the bottom bracket.

BUCKY BALLS FOREVER (what the hell are those?, he asks)

spytech

by spytech

My cranks are ISIS, i was thinking of getting the FSA PRO tI BB does anyone oppose? and what size should i get?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

FRM ISIS is lighter.
Ride lightly!