aero or non aero forks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Oswald

by Oswald

I think he is just confusing AVG with SPD on his Cateye...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PNuT

by PNuT

it could be many things.... but i cant even imagine lance armstrong averages those kind of speeds over 60 miles on a training ride :shock:

PNuT

by PNuT

max speed on his cateye :lol:

brianwchan

by brianwchan

Word.

Boonen

by Boonen

jrstang473 wrote:I dont see ...... do not understand.

:lol: :lol: goodbye and thanks for making me lauch.

burlguy

by burlguy

:shock: Well on level ground ....this could be possible . No hills at all , not even a single rise . With no headwind and good road . It is not impossible . Is it likely ? No . I only have 2 months on my bikes since being gone from the sport for 5 years and I can keep 22 up for a long time with good road and no hills . 26-28 mph aint that far away. For 40-60 miles ,uh no not yet . Do I expect tp be able to do that ? No.

If you think about it ... 26-28 miles an hour . That 40-60 miles is gone in less than two hours. Sure its fast but not to bad ... with perfect conditions . I would deffinetly recomend an aero fork with conditions like that . Man If I could do that now I could hang with 35 mph for an hour and have the world hour performance record.

Running disk wheels and an aero bar ... Sure he could do it, but I dont think he would need to post a question here . He would know what it would take to go that much faster .... unless he was bragging . Iam sure Obree would have been able to do that or better in his day . There are alot of unknown riders out there...... Man it hurts bad enough just to crank out 39mph on a 2 percent grade for a sprint let alone spin 35 for an hour .

okr

by okr

I can quite easily do 50-55 kilometers in an hour in training..Mopedpace-Training that is...

burlguy

by burlguy

My endurance is no that high.... 31+ mph would equal me dying . At least at this time ...

Pantani

by Pantani

Actually 26mph is miles away from 22. Drag squares with speed so the power increase to get from 22 to 26mph (and more importantly, hold it) there is exponential.

From my own experience, in real world give and take road conditions, 280 watts will give you 25mph on a good TT bike - disc wheel etc and with an excellent position. I'd guestimate that this equates to about 21/22mph on a standard road bike with the equivalent power output.

26-28mph on a standard roadbike is probably closer to 400 watts - ie elite pro league.

Racing Aardvark

by Racing Aardvark

Well, like so many people new to racing, it's not about the AVERAGE speed, it's about hanging in there during the surges (whether hills or attacks). On the other hand, if you really can put that kind of power out, you're way above most lower category amateurs. Put it this way:Dave Zabriskie won the 2004 US time trial championship at an average speed of 28.3 mph over almost 30 miles!

You can see why people would be skeptical as to your numbers and then doubly so as to the "am I strong enough to race" question. If you really are capable of putting out that kind of power at threshold, I can guarantee you'll be winning some time trials on your way up the ranks. :shock:

MiNtzNUrMth

by MiNtzNUrMth

jrstang473 hey man i believe you. Let me know where your from so I can come ride with you. Im a Cat 2 getting ready to upgrade to a cat 1 so I will let you know if you should "start" racing. But if you suck im telling the forum i think thats only fair. If not then you have someone to vouch for you. :D

rustychain

by rustychain

Go out on the freeway and follow that big truck, stay close and make sure your bike is all campy........................Oh and don't forget the bungee chord

PNuT

by PNuT

Racing Aardvark wrote:Dave Zabriskie won the 2004 US time trial championship at an average speed of 28.3 mph over almost 30 miles!

put him on a standard road bike & remove around 3mph :D

double the distance & remove a bit more :lol:

i think the origional poster is from the planet krypton :shock:

maxxevv

by maxxevv

I think the original thread poster was referring to recumbents ??

For those things, especially those with fairings, 28mph for a seasoned rider can be done quite comfortable actually ... ??? :?: :?: :?:

jalapeno

by jalapeno

Dalai wrote:My understanding aero forks come third in the list of aerodynamics for faster TT's. 1st being body position and 2nd wheels.

..but only if the ratio of width to thickness is greater than 4:1, less than that and it's not really aero..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com