Cheap bike build and mixing drivetrain parts

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

So I was walking the dog the other night and came upon this bike frame in the trash. It is a Carrera Alum. Duke frame circa 2002/03. It has a 1" carbon/alloy fork and CK headset. I looked at the frame with a fine tooth comb for a few hours and flexed different points and see no cracks on any of the welds or tubing. No dents on any of the tubes but the paint is less than perfect.

So I have a mix of parts in a box as most of us do.
Parts on hand.
Shimano DA 7800 shifters,FD,RD,cassette.
Campy Chours UT crankset,cassette and chain.
TRP 920SL brakes.
And all the other odds and ends to make a complete bike.
Can I use the DA drive components with the Campy crankset and chain?
Also, my all my wheels are for campy cassettes. Is there an adapter so I can run a shimano cassette?, or can I run a campy cassette with the DA parts. I am looking to put this bike together with as little $$$ as possible. I plan on it being foul weather
ride and to use on the rollers. Also a cheap bike to take with me when I am working out of town.
Thanks for any help that you guys can give.
Thanks Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

system787

by system787

If you have a 10 speed campy cassette, you can try a Jtek shiftmate

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.php

kman

by kman

I think the cranks will be ok. You should be able to buy a shimano compatible freewheel for you campag hubs. Not sure if that will blow the budget but it would allow a shimano cassette and hence proper shifting.
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa

skiezo

by skiezo

OK Thanks,I will check around and see what is out there. I do not really have a budget and i realize I will need to spend some money. Believe me, I have no problem spending money on my bike or fishing stuff. I just have all these parts lying around
and found a way to pit them to use. I am a campy guy but picked the DA parts up at a yard sale last summer for a steal.
Thanks Brian

totoboa

by totoboa

skiezo, weigh the frame :thumbup: thanks

NGMN

by NGMN

I've thrown my Campy (10) wheels on my Shimano (10) bike in a pinch and vice-versa, and the shifting is usually all right, not many missed gears as I recall. It never hurts to try...

skiezo

by skiezo

The frame and CK HS weigh 1448 grams. The fork is a cheap carbon/alloy with a weight of 430 grams.
I am not looking for a light bike as I have a 15# custom steel bike made of a mix of life/spirit along with a custom Dean TI
that is 15.5pounds. Both of these are 10speed record with some custom wheels and a few lite weight parts.
I am mainly looking to build this to use up parts that I have laying around and have a cheap bike to take with me when I am working out of town so I do not have to take my higher end bikes with me.
I have had a few disappear and it really sucks. At least if this one ends up as one of the departed I will not feel as bad.
It is a med. frame. TT 55, ST 50 HT 143 WB 98.

NGMN

by NGMN

Oh and some WW members might not be opposed to swapping their 10 speed Centaur shifters, rear derailleur and cassette for 7800 parts... :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com