HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:55 pm 

kwazi wrote:
I'm having trouble finding readily available lower spoke count (20f/24r) hubs that don't cost a bazillion dollars like tune or dt190s.

Bit of searching & you might find circus monkey hubs. Now in a campag spline. Riffing on everyone else's designs no doubt. About the same price as novatec but 20g lower rr hub.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:03 pm 

Juan, the T shaped tool on the pic is what you need for driving an inverted standard nipple if you want to have a go with one.
Hope that helps?
Cheers, Rob.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:03 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 pm 

So the rims I ordered on January 30th still have not arrived. The manufacturer has responded to each of my queries but has yet to provide a shipping date. Because I purchased through Paypal I am protected for 45 days which is fast approaching. I'm beginning to think my project is out the window until I get my money back and find a different supplier.

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:02 pm 

The supplier couldn't deliver. I don't really understand why, but I imagine I am a pretty small fish in a really big pond. My order of 2 rims wasn't a very high priority. As I expected, I was able to get a complete refund through PayPal with no problem. So it's back to the drawing board on this project. What really pisses me off though is that I missed an eBay auction for a set of Reynolds KOM wheels. Someone outbid me at the last second and the wheels sold for $760.00. I should have raised my minimum bid... oh well. Win some, lose some.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:10 am 
Shop Owner

Juanmoretime wrote:
kwazi wrote:
I too have been looking into building up some of those "alibaba special" rims. I'm having trouble finding readily available lower spoke count (20f/24r) hubs that don't cost a bazillion dollars like tune or dt190s. I was actually trying to find something like the novatecs http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I saw someone here used the soul hubs and they look great but still seem a little pricey for a budget build. Did anyone else out there come across an acceptable hubset while researching their builds? I work at a shop so if there is something that might be available through a distributor it would be a huge plus

Thanks

Has anyone used these Novatec hubs and are they any good and true to weight? Also would anyone know with a Reynolds Cirro rim and a standard alloy nipple be used backwards instead of the Reynolds locking nipple? Last question, how do you tension it?

As the big-brand taiwanese hubs go, Novatecs are my favorites. They're a bit more rotund than other brands, hence I use Tune's hubs on my higher end stuff, but the Novatecs have excellent bearings and are very reliable.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:36 pm 

Just got an e-mail from the sales rep I had been working with. The rims I wanted are ready for immediate shipment. I haven't come up with a plan B yet so I'm considering trying these guys again. While I waited a long time initially, they did refund my money and were responsive to my e-mails. So maybe now that the rims are physically available I'll press ahead with my project.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:40 pm 

Do it Ted.

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:13 pm 

OK, rims ordered... US$274.05 (500 grams advertised)
Hubs ordered... US$296.00 (263 grams advertised)
Both prices include shipping.

That's 763 grams and US$570.05. That leaves me 237 grams and US$429.95 for spokes/nipples/building to keep the project on target weight/price.

I'm still flip-flopping on bladed vs. round double-butted spokes. The weight difference is so small as to be insignificant but I wonder if there might be a performance advantage to bladed spokes even though these will primarily be climbing wheels.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 am 

What drill count on the rims/hubs?

If at least 20/24 at your weight I'd go with bladed though if you're worried then I'd go double butted and not have the worry. If 24/28 I'd defintely not worry at bladed and I'm sitting at 170-175 lb right now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:07 am 

xnavalav8r wrote:
Just got an e-mail from the sales rep I had been working with. The rims I wanted are ready for immediate shipment.

probably from the same batch of rims, got another pair of 20mms for another build.
first set was 248g/246g, this one came in at 255g/ 256g.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:42 am 

Ari - I'm going with 20/24. I'm sitting around 155-160 right now. It fluctuates a bit.

Farm_lim - Those look like what I ordered. I was hoping they would come in under the advertised 250 grams. But for the money I can't complain about a +2% deviation per rim. That still keeps me under the weight limit I imposed and I am well under budget.

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:49 pm 

I see no reason why you cannot go with CX-Rays. I doubt you'll notice any aero advantage but I like the aesthetics on the bladed over the typical spoke.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:49 pm 

So I ordered CX-rays and Sapim Polyax alloy nipples. $172.41 including shipping. That included a couple extra spokes in each of three sizes needed and a bag of 64 nipples. This brings wheel weight to 986 grams for a total price of US$742.46. All parts are confirmed shipped with tracking information. I expect to have everything in about a week. I'll post actual weights and individual component photos upon receipt to be followed by built wheel photos. Last issue will be tires.... do I go crazy-light (like Tufo) as these will be strictly climbing wheels, or go with something like the new Veloflex extreme so I have the option to use them on regular terrain if/when required? Tough decision there...

Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 pm 

I'd avoid crazy light in favor of durability on the tires. The last thing I'd want is to flat on a monster climb (unless of course you intend on carrying an extra sew up...

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:16 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 pm 

These wheels will be almost exclusively for hillclimbs like Newton's Revenge and the Mt. Washington Auto Road Hillclimb... races up only. You have to come down in a motor-vehicle. So I'm willing to accept a little risk on the durability of the tire as it won't be used for descending and won't experience any bad pavement at speed. I wonder if I could get the entire wheelset, tires, cassette, and skewers under 1800 grams? Maybe that is for a new thread...

Litespeed Ghisallo

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next