Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Since I am an incompetent wheel-builder I am having a friend (and superb mechanic) build my wheels for me. He is adamant that I use Wheelsmith double-butted spokes and alloy nipples vice Sapim or DT. While I don't need bladed spokes for a climbing wheel, it seems these are significantly heavier. Should I go with his recommendation or buy my own spokes? Any advice?
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ari

by Ari

My guess is he is being conservative because he doesn't know the strength of the hoops themselves.

What's your height and weight?
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm 5'10 and down to 158 lbs... hoping to lose a few more before race season.

Based on the claimed weight per spoke, I only see a 1.3 gram total savings by using CX-ray spokes verus the Wheelsmith DB15. For the cost saving I can live with that.

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

good to see someone has these things built up. Whenever you get some mileage on them please post a report. I've been following this thread and would enjoy building up a set of these if they hold up. I don't see why they wouldn't...everything is made in China these days, the main reason these things are cheap is because they don't have a big name on them.
My Lynskey R420 with Chorus 11

If you are interested in a Weight Weenies kit I no longer know what you should do.

tinman143

by tinman143

in for some durability feedback

kwazi
Location: UCSB, Visalia CA, Charleston SC, and now Kansas City

by kwazi

I too have been looking into building up some of those "alibaba special" rims. I'm having trouble finding readily available lower spoke count (20f/24r) hubs that don't cost a bazillion dollars like tune or dt190s. I was actually trying to find something like the novatecs http://www.bdopcycling.com/Hubs-Road.asp I saw someone here used the soul hubs and they look great but still seem a little pricey for a budget build. Did anyone else out there come across an acceptable hubset while researching their builds? I work at a shop so if there is something that might be available through a distributor it would be a huge plus

Thanks
Roll out.

range
Shop Owner

by range

I'm getting a similar type of rim, unbranded from FFWD, and they are cheap compared to Edge 1.25 or the new AX rims. However, for hubs I'll probably go with Tune. Even though these are light-weight wheels, I want them to last quite a long time. Therefore, I don't mind spending more on the hubs.

As for spokes, are Sapim CX Rays better or Pillar Ti?
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

Ari

by Ari

@xnavalav8r

the wheels built up yet? If so, build list, final weight and ride report please!?!
Seven Axiom Ti, Reynolds UL Fork, Campagnolo Super Record 11

In Progress: Salsa Podio, Alpha Q GS10 Fork, Campagnolo Chorus 11

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

They haven't shipped yet. I've been in touch with the rep. They didn't have the 20-hole rim available to ship. I'm told they should ship this week now that the Chinese New Year holiday has passed. I've had good communication from the rep so I'm not worried yet. That and I purchased via PayPal so I know I have some buyer protection. But if they don't ship by Friday I will have to reconsider my position on these rims.... I'm only so patient.

range
Shop Owner

by range

Don't worry, Chinese New Year basically shuts down Taiwan and China. I'm in Taiwan and it was miserable in Taipei. Rained the whole week while 80% of the stores were closed. Probably less, but it felt like that.

Everything opened again on Saturday.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

transamman1999

by transamman1999

for those that have dealt with Alibaba/GOTOBIKE, how reliable are they?

that website is rather sketchy with poor organization and little info.

did you order over the phone? if not, how did you order?

why are the prices listed as such: "US400-700"???? why would the price vary so much?

farm_lim

by farm_lim

@transamman-
-as with all other chinese websites that have english versions, they are all sketchy since they dont bother to put all the info in it compared to the chinese version.
-ordered via alibaba contact form, theyll respond via email from then on, MOP is bank transfer (was lucky i share the same bank with them)
-prices would vary from sample prices up to production prices. they'll send a proforma invoice on the item you ordered with the exact price. a 700$ sample frame in 1 piece could be 400$ if ordered by a hundred.
you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

farm_lim

by farm_lim

550-600$ 1350g 50mm wheelset with revos or aerolites.

you cant buy fitness, but you can buy advantage.

athos

by athos

Juanmoretime wrote:Also would anyone know with a Reynolds Cirro rim and a standard alloy nipple be used backwards instead of the Reynolds locking nipple? Last question, how do you tension it?

I asked a similar question in the wheelbuilding thread and the concensus seems to be not to use standard nipples backwards. You can use Pillar nipples.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

kwazi wrote: I'm having trouble finding readily available lower spoke count (20f/24r) hubs that don't cost a bazillion dollars like tune or dt190s.

Bit of searching & you might find circus monkey hubs. Now in a campag spline. Riffing on everyone else's designs no doubt. About the same price as novatec but 20g lower rr hub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com