Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

xnavalav8r wrote:Just wanted to revisit this thread and see if there were any new developments out there...

I am waiting on Nimble to put out their new tubular rim that is claimed at about 200 grams... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

I'm glad Nimble is getting back to business after that fire. :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I found a chinese manufacturer that is selling a 20mm carbon tubular rim with a claimed weight of 230 +/- 20 grams. The rims are US$130.00 each (US$88.00 for 10). I'm considering buying a pair just to see how they look. From the catalog I received they look as good as any name-brand rim I've seen. With a decent pair of hubs and some Pillar spokes I should be able to hit the target weight right around the target price.

wisgliebau

by wisgliebau

This seems like an appropriate topic for a particular question I have. Right in the $1,000 price range I was looking at building up a pair of tubulars with Tune hubs and SS spokes. I want them to be quite durable though, and am looking at doing 28h front and rear rim and would like to stick to alloy rims. I want them to be as light weight as possible, nonetheless. What rim suggestions are there?

I don't really want to derail this but figure it isn't worth a new topic. If there's any information could I get it in a PM? Thanks!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

xnavalav8r wrote:I found a chinese manufacturer that is selling a 20mm carbon tubular rim with a claimed weight of 230 +/- 20 grams. ... With a decent pair of hubs and some Pillar spokes I should be able to hit the target weight right around the target price.
Is your goal for the claimed weight to be sub 1000g, or the actual weight? We await your report on whether the rims do indeed weigh no more than 250 grams. Based on seller's claimed weight, almost everyone's bike would be a lot lighter than it actually is.

I guess you can look at the pics and get a good idea of the looks, at least of the unit in the picture. But what about stiffness, reliability, durability, quality, etc. - not quite as easy to reach an affirmative conclusion from looking at pics.

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

wisgliebau wrote:I want them to be quite durable though, and am looking at doing 28h front and rear rim and would like to stick to alloy rims. I want them to be as light weight as possible, nonetheless. What rim suggestions are there?

Velocity Escape. Use 4 to 8 fewer spokes on the front wheel.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I have a sub 1000g wheelset that I just got (used) for under $1,000. Tune rear hub, M5 front, ti spokes, Reynolds Cirro rims. Actually built by rruff. These are without a doubt the most fun wheels that I have ever ridden. They are so comfortable, climb amazingly (obviously), & descend great as well. I actually like the ti spokes too & would do a build with them again. I don't find the flex that others have commented on in the past, but maybe it's just my riding style.

If I would have known that a wheelset this light would be so great to ride I would have gotten a set a long time ago. Of course, now I am thinking of selling them to get a set of Extralight / Edge 45 wheels made just because they'd be more aero & at about the same weight - but at a much higher cost.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

My goal is for a no-$hit, sub-1000 gram wheelset. I'm contemplating buying these Chinese rims as samples to see if they really come in at the weight described. I asked the salesman if he could put one on a scale and photograph it for me but I'm not sure that is going to happen. I suspect he doesn't actually have access to the product. But if I can get the rims for $88.00 each, it wouldn't be a bad deal to build up a sub-1200 gram wheelset if the rim quality and stiffness are up to par with name brand parts.

My preference is to buy name-brand rims of proven quality and known weight for my wheelset. It just doesn't seem possible to build a quality, lightweight wheel on my budget.

For those who have been fortunate enough to find a second-hand set of wheels at such a good price I am envious. I'll keep watching Ebay and Craig's list.

OCLV

by OCLV

Hi,

did the rims look like this:

(maybe in a matte version with no clear coat)

This is the light version of the shallow Gigantex rims. There is also a heavier one with about 400 grams. But this really weights between 247 und 255 grams! Have test-ridden a set of them with Tune hub, Sapim CX Ray spokes and a Veltec rear hub (240 grams).
That set was 1061 grams on the scale. With a lighter rear hub you can easily get below 1000 grams.
Rims with 20/24 spokes are stiff enough for 80 kg riders. In my opinion those rims are a tad stiffer than Reynolds KOM rims, but also slightly heavier (but think of $$$ ;) )

I got best braking performance with campy alu road pads out of them. with some equinox pads (come stock with gigantex rims/wheels) the was only little stopping power.
Born to be light!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The rims I was looking at were very similar. I'll try to download a photo and the specs. They e-mailed me the info in a spreadsheet and I am having difficulty capturing the data in a usable jpeg.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

I thought the low gigantex rims were never mass produced? I am interested in a set of those (even if they weighed almost 300gm) but couldnt find them anywhere.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

I just bought a set of the 38mm rims out of China. They were listed at 360g, but weighed 300g & 305g when they arrived :shock: That was a pleasant surprise! They also have a gloss finish over 12k weave that is nicer than any carbon rims I have seen. ( and I have had multiple sets from Zipp, Reynolds, Lew, Corima, ...) Now to round up some spokes and see if they will hold up..... Anybody got 20 black 262mm spokes lying around?

rruff
Shop Owner

by rruff

Where did you buy those from?

vmajor
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by vmajor

This is not spam, we do not make or sell these rims/wheels.

I ordered a set of 20mm tubular rims from a manufacturer for our own testing and evaluation. The rims are the same as used by a well established brand - they do not just look similar.

20h rim 242g
24h rim 261g

these are actual weights. They are brand new, never used, never built.

For whatever reason, we chose not to include these rims/wheels in our product range. This is not due to their expected performance since they have no stated rider weight limit, but they just do not fit philosophically with the rest of our products.

Thus I have only this one set, I will have no more and I am posting this just for the sake of the people looking just for such a thing.

Price: USD 200 each rim, sold as a pair.

PM me if you are interested.

V.

darnellrm

by darnellrm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 445wt_1106

rruff wrote:Where did you buy those from?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com