Sub 1000g wheelset for sub US$1000? - Ride report p12

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

xnavalav8r wrote:I've got the CX Ray spokes but they came in at 209 grams for 44, plus 16 grams for the nipples. Wheelsmith XL 15 should come in around 176 grams for 44. That saves 33 grams and gets me back below the 1000g limit.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Those estimates were based on the listings from this page. The CX-rays I had were not the correct length... too short, and were therefore artificially light. So I guess the spoke/nipple weight is realistic though a bit disappointing. The wheels were built with wheelsmith 15g spokes and alloy nipples.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sam

by Sam

How did these wheels hold up?

Getter

by Getter

Wow awesome! :beerchug:

Is it possible to put up a build list on the first page?

I was thinking about building my own set of wheels, but don't know where to begin.

I want a 50mm rim instead.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I should have the wheels by the end of the week. My friend who built them up for me has been on the road wrenching for SRAM during Speedweek and a few of the other events down south. I'll post pics as soon as I have them out of the box.

Pop

by Pop

Hi guys!
Where could I find light carbon rims??. I've seen www.alibaba.com but I don't know if it's the best way to get them.
I'd like 20mm, for tubular...
Does anybody know where could I buy them?
Thanks!!!

grover

by grover

The rims used in this thread are available from archteks on alibaba. I've bought two and they've arrived. Henry has good English, accepts paypal and shipping took less than a week.

http://archteks.en.alibaba.com/

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

So it appears my wheels are stranded somewhere in Tennessee following last weeks floods. My friend runs his wheel-building business out of Chattanooga ( http://www.cyclicevolution.com ). He shipped the wheels just before the floods and they seem to have disappeared enroute. I'm sure they will turn up once the carnage is under control down there. Bad luck for me I suppose. But considering what the people down there are going through I'll be patient and hope for the best.

roadie

by roadie

It took a while to get the rims but Henry came through in the end.
I just got an email from my wheel builder and the pair weighed in at 1054g with alloy nipples, DT swiss butted spokes (but not the superlight ones) and fleabay circus monkey hubs. Approx cost: Rims 320 hubs 145, spokes and nipples 60?, free labour and ex employee discount on spokes and nipples.
Not too shabby, he's gluing on my Schwalbe Duranos tomorow and I'll ride them this weekend.

KH1

by KH1

These are some seriously light - low priced wheelsets being discussed here. Can one of you guys report back in 6 months or so on reliability?
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

roadie

by roadie

Dang, these things ride nice! Way smoother than my AC350's with more side to side stiffnes too. A lot of the difference is probably going from clinchers (Ultremos with light tubes) to tubulars (Duranos) but I must say the difference is huge. I want to ride these things all the time, I'll let you know how they hold up. They actually dropped my IF ti Crown Jewel to 13.7 pounds, more of a weight loss than I expected and very noticeable when hefting the bike.
Just awesome. YMMV as any wheel review is subject to the skill of the wheel builder and my buddy has been building them well for over 20 years. I'm glad I found this thread as I would not have known that such parts existed without reading about the rims here first. No 202's for me, these will do just fine. :beerchug:

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm glad my project sparked such interest and very pleased people are having good results with the rims. Too bad I don't have my wheels yet. Maybe I should ask ArchTek for a finder's fee? haha

athletic91

by athletic91

Anyone has the measured ERD of the 20mm tubular rims from henry?

grover

by grover

that information is in the generic carbon rim group buy thread...last few pages.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=70941

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Happy Day! My wheels survived the Tennessee floods. They were apparently stuck in a distrobution center but remained high and dry. The tracking info has been updated. I will have them Tuesday.... finally! This project has been dramatic. :roll: