Which tubular tire?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ViR2

by ViR2

My commuters are Michelin Course Pro 4. Good looking and light tire, yet not the cheapest and gets "eaten" quite fast when not inflated properly (and this happens often as I use conti supersonic tubes :D)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sastre

by sastre

I use tubs for commuting and weekends been through a few now and the one thing u must do is use glue DO NOT TAPE.

I've used

veloflex record 22mm (superlight weight not much protection but quick my favourites).
Roubaix 25mm (a very tuff tyre good tread and puncher protection got a small piece of brass tube stuck in it about 2-3mm wide went in about
6mm and nothing I just pulled it out and rode on great tub well made. don't know what hammits issues were).

vittoria pave 24mm (tuff tub it did cut up quite a bit but didn't result in more punctures a stable tyre good quality got the newer 25mm but haven't ridden it yet expect the same didn't feel as quick as the veloflex's).

fmb Roubaix 25/27mm (I've recently got hold of some and there another well made tub don't spin up as fast as others but are supple and tuff as old boots cotton side walls everyone needs a pair of these).

conti gatorskins/competition (I owned one pair and wasn't overwhelmed by them as overs say they felt dead also cut up real easy was always finding bits of flint in them they also seamed slow and mounting was awkward not going to go with conti again).

Michelin service course (23mm there a rebranded tub not bad but would send the cash on something else the side walls got dirty real quick didn't feel like a special tyre).

if I were you go with the veloflex Roubaix you wont regret it
id also suggestion stretch tub for as long as possible be patient use a toothbrush on the tub a brush on the rim 4 light coats.

practice is the only formula done about thirty now and got it down you learn from pulling the tub off when you puncher.
Full steam we go against the odds
Headfirst we go against the grain
Against the odds, against the grain
We go against the odds, against the grain

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

robhall2003 wrote:I've been using Tufo tubulars for a few years with great success. I like how easy to fit they are using Tufo rim tape and using the Tufo tyre sealant as a preventative measure. Note I once skimped on adding this to a new set of tubs and suffered immediate punctures on both wheels!!

The S33 Specials are a great, lightweight tub and are very reasonably priced. I also run the S3 lite version and these run really well. I think the brand may not be recognized as much as some of the other brands but always seems to receive excellent reviews.

I take it you've not tried anything else yet?

I think the brand may not be recognized as much as some of the other brands but always seems to receive excellent reviews

It is a well known common practice with some cycling magazines (and of course not just cycling) to give a "nice" review to manufacturers advertising in these magazines.
That said, I feel the brand is well recognized but mostly avoided....

I've been trying to figure out for years why everyone praising Tufo tyres invariably seems to find these cheap.
I still haven't figured this out yet but I can safely say I find these (and some others) actually extremely expensive for what they are with respect to what some other manufacturers offer at a slightly higher or equal price level.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Hi guys,
I am struggling to find what the tpi of a dugast strada is, there is no info on their website.
How does it compare to veloflex carbon, arenberg?
I've been riding veloflex for last 2-3 seasons and I'm very happy with how they roll, but thought to try something else within the similar range of quality. I prefer a black sidewall, so for that reason fmb is out of competition.

asdf123

by asdf123

Whats better than Veloflex? ;) Arenberg is a great tire.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

There's always Image

if you need black sidewalls ! :beerchug: :mrgreen:

lannes

by lannes

+1 for the tufo's, I use the elite jet <160 at 140psi with 30ml of Stan's sealant in them. Quite supple and super light, never had a puncture that i have noticed.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Conti sprinters, they are OK and more affordable than my race tires which are Conti competition. My new favorites are the Veloflex Carbon.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

*double post